Scale RC Forum General News & Discussion Scale RC News GCM Racing updates the Skeleton Chassis for their Scale Transmission

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Spotted this on Instagram earlier today. Looks like GCM are releasing a fitting kit to put their Scale Transmission in to the Skeleton chassis. Long overdue in my opinion. Looks like there will be a lot of clearance with the links mounted on the inside of the chassis too…

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for that Neil, very interesting, is the suggestion then that the JK body will still fit?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for that Neil, very interesting, is the suggestion then that the JK body will still fit?

It looks that way. I’m emailed them with a few questions. I’ve pre-ordered the SCX10 II builders kit, but as it turns out i’ll only be using the chassis, so this would make more sense for my JK build as i’ve already got axles and a GCM scale transmission.

I did notice that there is no skid, and that the lower links mount on the chassis rails. Not sure i like that…

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah yes I see that.  I’d love however to have the option of overdrive on my JK.  Why did they have to release this the day after I ordered another C-Max kit for my Range Rover!?  Typical.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Chris at GCM Racing kindly sent me a pre-production mount kit to install their Scale Transmission in the skeleton chassis. Install was dead simple and i like how low the transmission sits compared to the Axial 3 gear transmission i had in here before. But, it doesn’t sit so low as to hang out of the bottom. Looking forward to trying this out once i’m done with the Jeep build. Here’s a few pics.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for the update, I’m sorely tempted. What happens with the servo mount, does the standard one still fit with the motor there?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for the update, I’m sorely tempted. What happens with the servo mount, does the standard one still fit with the motor there?

That’s a very good question. The kit comes with a new 3d printed servo mount which moves the servo forwards which means you can’t run a winch servo. However, I’ve not fitted a servo mount yet, but offering up the original mount it looks like it should work. I’ll have a look tonight and report back!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Great, thanks fella.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Sure LOOKS like the original mount will fit. Can you post some opics of the assembly seen from the front, and from above and below?

Have been running servo winches using the original plate for 3 years now. Aside from the obvious (scale driveline and overdrive) also liking this conversion because it lowers the centre of gravity and makes space for an engine over the motor (probanly negating the COG gains 🙄).

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Here’s a few pics of the original mount fitted. It works with the current motor i have in, but as you can see the servo is right up against it. So, you’d need to be careful about which motor you use:

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for the additional pictures, a great help. That is indeed a tight fit!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.