Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Newbies Corner FTX Outback 2 Suspension

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jimplops 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

JPK81
    • Looking For Mud

Hi all,

I’m very new to crawling and am in need of some assistance. I recent the economy root and purchased a FTX Outback 2 crawler. My Outback seems a bit light on the weight side and I feel the springs on the shock are too stiff for the vehicle. With all this in mind, what would be your suggestions for: a) replacement parts for the suspension, b) adding weight to the vehicle, c) improving the turning circle?

Cheers.

FTX Outback 2 Ranger

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hey JPK81,

I’ve not had direct experience of the FTX Outback 2 but they look like a good entry-level unit. Generally with most new trucks the suspension may take some time to ‘bed’ in – if the shocks are oil-filled then maybe try taking some/most of it out to aid the stroke travel? Also I have seen people cut the springs down slightly or just replace with softer springs to save the cost of four complete new shocks.

With adding weight to the vehicle I would look at Retrocosm’s great sticky on wheel weights, as it’s important to keep weight as low as possible. After adding wheel weights to my trucks I was blown away with how much they improved the driving experience.

Regarding the turning circle, unless you can get aftermarket CVD’s for the FTX axles I don’t think anything will help with that – scaler’s with fully locked axles are notoriously bad at turning due to the lack of diff action.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the FTX’s could chime in with better advice, that’s all I’ve got!

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

JPK81
    • Looking For Mud

Hi Grasshopper,

Thanks for the info, it does give me some good direction into options. My biggest struggle to date is which springs to buy. I’ve been told that the Outback is not a true 1:10 but rather more of a 1:12, so not too sure which scale spring will fit my shocks. I’ve measure my spring diameter of the springs, and they measure at around 12mm. Would you know the diameter of the 1:10 springs. In fact, would I be able to fit 1:10 shock and spring combo to the vehicle? Sooooo many questions from my side, apologies for that.

I have seen some posts about the weights inside the wheels, which I would like to try. The only problem the wheels are glued onto a plastic wheel, so getting them off might me an issue. I did try through the boiling water method, but the wheel distorted in shape 🤣.

Ultimately, growing in the crawling world will improve ones understanding of parts and mods. Onwards and upwards I say.

FTX Outback 2 Ranger

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

From what I’ve seen of these and I don’t have one and haven’t driven one they are extremely light but they probably need to be due to the small motors they are running.  As Grasshopper said, perhaps someone here has some more experience of this particular model.

Jimplops
    • Looking For Mud

Hi, I run a modified one, but the first thing I did was remove the c clip above the springs, this reduced the preload and made the ride softer.

JPK81
    • Looking For Mud

Hi Jimplops, that does sound like an option I can accommodate. Happy days. If I may ask, what sort of mods did you add to your truck? Did you use 3rd party products?

FTX Outback 2 Ranger

Jimplops
    • Looking For Mud

Hi, front mounted battery across the frame rails just behind the shock towers, gds 90mm shocks, ebay cnc axles and alloy beadlocks with bigger rc4wd tyres. Still running the 390 motor but with a hobbywing 1060 esc and flysky gt3c tx/rx and a turnigy servo.

JPK81
    • Looking For Mud

So it looks like I can fit 1:10 scale parts to the ranger. I was looking into the machines axles, they look great on the chassis. I was looking into the AR44 axle with some basic mods to the base plate for the links, but not too sure if this will work.I currently have  a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a Peak Power Plant LiPo 2s 7.4v 4000mAh, I think the Lipo may be a bit to big in size. My steering is controlled by a 15kg metal geared Savox servo, which I think might snap a knuckle at some point.

FTX Outback 2 Ranger

Jimplops
    • Looking For Mud

You won’t need to modify the skid plate, you can get away with just swapping the rod ends at the axle end if fitting different axles.

Yeah if I was buying axles now, with what I know, I’d go with ally ar44 axles, cost more than what I run, but have more clearance or probably the xtraspeed portal axles.

Would look at the hop up shock towers as the plastic ones are starting to flex and the threads wear if you work on it a lot lol.

JPK81
    • Looking For Mud

That is great news to know about the AR44 axles. I had a look at xtraspeed portal axles, they look good. If money was not an issue, I might consider one of these:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/vanquish-products-currie-portal-f9-scx10-ii-front-axle-kit-silver-vps08351/p758407

or

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-axial-scx10-ax10-leverage-high-clearance-front-axle-rc4za0109/p604706

Time to win the lottery….😂

I will definitely look into upgrading the shocks. Being able to make the adjustments on the spring travel is beneficial to terrain I think.

FTX Outback 2 Ranger

Jimplops
    • Looking For Mud

Definitely, especially once you start moving weight around on the chassis.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.