Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds FTX outback 2 Rebirth

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earthlab-driver 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Earthlab-driver
    Earthlab-driver
    • Looking For Mud

Well after playing with my FTX for a bit the shell has decided to perish ( cracked way beyond the gaffer tape stage) So I have had a go at creating a new shell. Based on the most boxy design I could find attractive Volvo C303, and my first attempt at car shells. Made using Foamex and HIPS card trying to adapt some skills form rc aircraft to rc crawlers so well see how it ends..

DSC01875DSC01871

Stiil lots to do and excuss messy workhole … just trying to sort out some space and relocate my rc aircraft as well as trying to build 🙂

models :) and yet more models  ..... and some other stuff for making models :)

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well you’ve hit the ground running with that one chap, great stuff, I do love the C303s.

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That is a thing of beauty! Some nice skills pal 🙂

Earthlab-driver
    Earthlab-driver
    • Looking For Mud

till working on it, and getting used to new materials to work with.. may drift a little from true scale type, but I’m enjoying the build…

Just trying to develop some new build skills before my new chassis comes

Jumped in and about to order a 6X6 chassis from Greens rc..

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loving that Volvo, great start! Reminds me of a build tutorial I saw on Tamiya Club a few years back; although it’s fairly boxy there’s still a fair amount of work in there to make it look good. You’re doing a top job.

I’m a printer by trade and have used Foamex myself for a few bits, a great substrate, can even be glued together and sculpted/sanded to create curves etc. One thing I would suggest is that if you have any edges uncovered – give them a light coat of filler and sand back, the edges of Foamex are porous and when painted will look very slightly more textured than the main surfaces if not treated.

I’m probably preaching to the choir though, as you look like you’ve got this in hand!

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Earthlab-driver
    Earthlab-driver
    • Looking For Mud

Bit more done, some freelance just to try methods out.. plenty of sanding and filling yet plus more to the cab interior to doWebp.net-resizeimage

Earthlab-driver
    Earthlab-driver
    • Looking For Mud

Webp.net-resizeimage (1)Webp.net-resizeimage (3)

bit untidy right now got some cleaing to do…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.