Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Frankenstein’s Monster (truck)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    • Topics 32
    • Replies 662
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

After suffering multiple parts fails on both my RC4WD trucks I have been resorting to using my ten year old SCX10, Which to be fair is practically bullet proof and still a hoot to drive. I repurposed my latest D90 body from my G2 to fit the  SCX chassis. Basically meant pulling the interior out and cutting the bed open to house the shock towers.

So anyway, this awakened a need in me to do something new. I reasoned with my other half that instead of spending almost £200 on parts to get my RC4WD trucks going again (and then possibly have something else fail on the very next drive!) I could just buy a builders kit and have a virtually new truck for the same cost. A no-brainer and she agreed

So, the SCX10 II or the Element Enduro?

I kinda love Axial because of the joy the Dingo has given me plus all the extras they chuck in BUT everyone seemed to be raving about the Element SO…

…about ten minutes before they released the improved new version of the Enduro builders kit I bought the old one (*face-palm*)

But I got it for £176 which is almost a nifty less than the new version so I’m still stoked

Ooooh, excited!

Here’s some bits. They may be the wrong way round. A had a crick in my neck

Anyway, we all know how it all goes together and what it looks like. Chassis build-part over.

I was very close to buying the Pro-Line SR5 body for this but that would have been another £50 plus paint and accessories etc. So I decided to repurpose one of my old bodies that was now unused – the very first Chinese D90 body I ever bought:

This is where the Frankenstein part comes in; the wheelbase on the D90 body was around 30-40mm too short for the Element chassis so I knew I needed to do some serious chopping:

Even with that much taken off the back the rear wheel arch looked weirdly too far from the wheel so more drastic work was required:

OK. Now we’re getting somewhere, Muwahahahahhahahaha (*in mad scientists voice*)

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

mark
    • Topics 49
    • Replies 1603
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loving this, I have the need to build another d90 with bonnet holes. I’m also in need of a builders kit. I think the element one is going to be my next purchase unless they do a scx10iii kit.

Grasshopper
    • Topics 32
    • Replies 662
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loving this, I have the need to build another d90 with bonnet holes. I’m also in need of a builders kit. I think the element one is going to be my next purchase unless they do a scx10iii kit.

They’ve just brought out an improved Enduro builders kit so deals can be found on the ‘older’ version; I can’t fault it from the small amount I’ve driven it. The turning circle is incredible and there’s tonnes of articulation. The axles seem to hook up a little bit but I’ve only driven it on my mates wooden course and that’s really tough going to be fair.

Here’s the nearest bits I had to hand to illustrate the articulation

So after the drastic and brutal chopping at the front I had to have a think about what to do. I came up with this on a whim

I also fabbed up a winch mount within the chassis rails instead of off the bumper mount, to keep the approach angle as shallow as possible. It’s starting to take shape but what grille to go with?

I kinda like both…

Grasshopper
    • Topics 32
    • Replies 662
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

First round of colour, I wanted something really lary and went out to get a crazy blue that I’d seen on a Toyota Aygo but Halfords let me down. The brightest colour I could find was that old favourite:

Applejack green. This is the stage where the ‘Frankenstein’s monster’ theme came to mind (although my mate was annoyingly calling it the poddington pea)

And I’m still unsure what grille to go with

Although I’m slightly favouring this one

I’ve had that grille for years and it never really suited the other Defenders so it’s nice to finally use it

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loving what you did with the eyes. I mean lights 😎

1 user thanked author for this post.
    ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 386
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Agressive!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Grasshopper
    • Topics 32
    • Replies 662
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loving what you did with the eyes. I mean lights 😎

Necessity is the mother of invention there – I didn’t think any of this through, so after I’d cut out the front panel I realised the light buckets no longer fit. Inspiration hit. It’s all a right bodge-job up close but again, fits with the theme 😉

Agressive!

…brooding, menacing, confused? I see a lot of faces there. That might be the paint vapours though.

I had an idea (probably the vapours still) – I needed some size reference

Having found some old A4 clear self-adhesive vinyl that can be printed on, I set out to create the Frankenstein livery. The one downside to printing using this method is the lack of white ink capability. It really limits what you can do. Having a green background (the truck) didn’t help either so I really lent on black. I knew even the sticker layout below would look darker because it wouldn’t be backlit like the monitor screen

She was ready

They actually came out better than I expected. Let the application begin. Mmmmmmmm, A P P L I C A T I O N

Sorry, vapours.

I mean, I may have gone a little overboard with the stickers. I do like a sticker.

Plenty more to do, I’ve got some diamond plate to apply, the interior in its entirety and some blocking off under the arches. I might even remove a sticker or two; the vapours have dissipated now.

Jalopy
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 5
    • Looking For Mud

Hi Grasshopper, great job very nice.

If I may ask where do you get your spares from.

Have a great day.

Grasshopper
    • Topics 32
    • Replies 662
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hi Grasshopper, great job very nice. If I may ask where do you get your spares from. Have a great day.

Cheers, most of this was from a previous build spares-wise but Modelsport and RC Bitz  are my general go-to’s. The only new thing here was the chassis. Speaking of which, those who have the Elemento Enduro Sendaro RTRo will have found the coolo scale garageo that the box turns into. Well, for the builders kit they did this:

Thanks guys. A lock up in Brixton and a dumpster. That’ll really show my trucks off.

Oh, and some cardboard signage if you’ve got an indoor course or something.

It’s all ok I s’pose, it could have just been blank. I got some diamond plating done earlier.

She desperately needs a bespoke cage but that is something I am unequipped skill-wise and tool-wise. I’ll try and get out with it and get it dirty this weekend, thanks for looking

Jalopy
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 5
    • Looking For Mud

Hi Grasshopper.

The Habao Pirate pic sadly the only pic prior to repair. It was in a mess, bent brackets, mud, old paint over spray etc. The nitro engine has had dirt go through it.

I’ve recently bought a FTX Mauler electric 2nd hand with a broken axle and ben shafts. This has made me go into the 1/10th scale RC.

I’m now trying to make my own axle for it out of aluminum based on the MB Unimog design.

My home made wheel hubs, made longer to take a nyloc nut instead of gluing the nuts on with loctite.

20210807_113353[1]

Prior to repair and a good clean.

IMG-20210318-WA0001

Made all my own brackets and motor mount for the conversion.

20210807_113117[1]

RTR. going on ebay soon. runs really well.

20210807_113713[1]

mark
    • Topics 49
    • Replies 1603
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loving how this has turned out. Stance is on point. Applejack is one of the best colours out there. I need a beater D90.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.