Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road Build Pictures D90 for 2012 Scale Nats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    igbandy
      • Scaling Like A Pro
      • ★★★★★

A few pics of my original D90 that I bought from Outback early last year. I have done a few subtle modifications to it for this year`s comp`s. Wheels are being changed this week, as I dont trust the Junfac beadlocks. I have a set of shiny RC4WD PRO 10 OEM`s to mount the mud pluggers on..

D90%2520side%252001.jpg

D90%2520side%252002.jpg

D90%2520front%252001.jpg

D90%2520Artic%252001.jpg

I have fitted a cough spit winch under the bonnet. Finally fixed the front bumper on, and mounted the winch rollers to the front bumper. Going to rebuild the motor for it this week to.

kIDDEAD83
        • Scaling Like A Pro
        • ★★★★★

looking good, didn’t you win last year with this same truck? I remember seeing a pic of it next to a NATs trophy…

should look spot on with a set of them RC4WD PRO 10 OEM… :cheer:

igbandy
          • Scaling Like A Pro
          • ★★★★★

Yup, I won Class 1 at last years Nats with this rig. No winch fitted back then either.

rawalker666
            • Scaling Like A Pro
            • ★★★★★

what axles are they on that truck andy they look nice and narrow or is that just a wide body

igbandy
              • Scaling Like A Pro
              • ★★★★★

They are Tamiya TLT axles Rich. And your right they are a little bit narrower than SCX axles.

Anonymous
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

ig sir did you use the same tyres last year?
                They look a little bald and not very knobbley or is that just the piccy?

igbandy
                  • Scaling Like A Pro
                  • ★★★★★

I used Mud thrashers last year, and probably will this year. I got the Mud pluggers to try out.

They are not bald, They are a copy of Michelin`s XCL. And they do well off road.

Tim_
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

Right we have had roof racks – what’s wrong with a winch (apart from them not being waterproof)

igbandy
                      • Scaling Like A Pro
                      • ★★★★★
                      Tim_ wrote:
                      Right we have had roof racks – what’s wrong with a winch (apart from them not being waterproof)

Because they are not very “scale” for a comp trial rig.

Turn upto an ARC(association of Rover Club) RTV or a CCV Trial and winches are not allowed to be used on a live section. If your rig cant do a gate then you cant get a winch out to get thru the gate and carry on.

Fine if your on a playday, winch challenge or green laning.

Anonymous
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Andy is right, and I tend to agree that if you cant do it under your own steam then you cant do it.
                        I am not fitting one this year as I already said in another thread. what the truck and my driving ability cant do wont get done “simples”

igbandy
                          • Scaling Like A Pro
                          • ★★★★★
                          Dalethebuilder wrote:
                          Andy is right, and I tend to agree that if you cant do it under your own steam then you cant do it.
                          I am not fitting one this year as I already said in another thread. what the truck and my driving ability cant do wont get done “simples”

I almost managed at last years Nats without a winch, I had “help” on one gate on the last section of the day. After Dale and Speedy agreed to give me “help”.

I have fitted the winch, as other people are using them. It will only be used as a last resort, and not on every gate as some people seem to do.

Oh and the Mud Pluggers work really well, nigh on as good as Mud Thrashers. Shame about the VR01 wheels being a bit of a bad fit on the hex`s.

Bill
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

I kinda thought winches were just used to right your vehicle if you toppled etc, not to pull you up an object you can’t climb etc.

I’m undecided whether to lose all my bumpers sliders and winch and run that way or fully loaded. Will just see what everyone else feels I guess on the day.

igbandy
                              • Scaling Like A Pro
                              • ★★★★★
                              bill wrote:
                              I kinda thought winches were just used to right your vehicle if you toppled etc, not to pull you up an object you can’t climb etc.

I’m undecided whether to lose all my bumpers sliders and winch and run that way or fully loaded. Will just see what everyone else feels I guess on the day.

No Bill, you can use them if your rig is stuck or you are struggling on a gate.

I dont run with much scale acc`s. But you will need front and rear bumpers on a class 1 rig.

Tim_
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

I’ve reinstated the post above, I see nothing wrong with it.

Fair Enough regarding the winches, having never been to a challenge I didn’t know they were against the rules. My experience of winches is for recovery only (not aiding in an obstacle…) and I’m sure that’s how I interpreted the rules for scale competitons. Obviously I was wrong and you can use them for situations where the truck hasn’t rolled over.

Anonymous
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★

Following on from Andy’s comments re: Mud Pluggers.

Before Sunday, I pretty much considered them as ‘scale decoration’ – a means of keeping the metal and plastic bits off the ground.

However…

On Sunday I got to do back to back testing with Mud thrashers. On my Truck, a four linked Dingo, I’m pretty much convinced that the Mud Pluggers are a better tyre, they work on wet rock, dry rock, loose shale, greasy mud, they traverse loose slopes well. The only time I had REAL touble was on loose powdery dry soil – the pluggers just dug in up to the axles – that said, the Thrashers where worse(!)

Following on from comments about winches, In the 1:1 trials hereabouts, they where only used as a recovery mechanism, they where not allowed in the comp at all – except on winching challenges and the like.

I reckon a course should be designed to be do-able without winching, we’re in this to have fun after all, and there ain’t much fun in going home with broken trucks because the course was too rough! :D

Or I could be talking ***** again….

;)

-Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.