Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Cross RC Demon SG4 Build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Davy Crockett
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

Needed a new build and after lots of thought, reading and selling stuff I decided on the Cross RC Demon SG4A kit, cheapest of the 3 but not looking to spend a fortune and my ambition doesn’t out way my talent 😀

Managed to grab an hour and get the build started.

All the bits are very nicely arranged and packaged in plastic bags, body shell and parts in a separate box.

Instructions nice and clear and kit has a quality feel to it.

Anyway, onto the build..

Motor and box

Transfer box

Shocks

1st set of links

Axles

Chassis

Putting it together everything feels quality and parts nicely arranged, however the instructions don’t refer to what bags are used so a bit of careful selection is required.

Minor downside is couple of bolts instructions say to use aren’t long enough, might be my mistake but a rummage through the ‘1st aid kit’ found suitable replacements. That aside, very pleased with the Cross RC kit so far 🙂

More to come and thanks for looking 🙂

Davy Crockett
        • Scale Off Road Pro
        • ★★★★★★

Bit more completed tonight…

Rear bed built, its aluminium but wall colour is reflecting making it pink!

Axles, shocks and links fitted

Motor, transfer box and prop shafts on, almost a chassis!

Body to paint and electrics to fit next.

Not going to post much more till complete

Grasshopper
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

Looks like a nice chassis, good clearance and lots of room for axle travel. Great start!

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90    Element Enduro D90

Davy Crockett
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

Lucky to have had a few hours after work this week and progressed better than expected.

Body built and wheels fitted, electrics have arrived and test fitted. Just need to install and solder up

Grasshopper
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

That’s looking really cool – are there two bonnets in the kit? The box art shows a little air intake? I prefer the flat look to be honest anyway.

Davy Crockett
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

Cheers mate!

I’m really pleased with it and enjoyed the build.

I hadn’t noticed the difference in the bonnets! The flat one is the only one in the box, I prefer the flat one too.

Sysop
                Retrocosm
                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                  • ★★★★★★

I do like the way that sits and it’s good to see all the components in more detail as I’ve always been intrigued by these kits.  Next thing we need to know is how it performs.  Good stuff.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Davy Crockett
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

Ive really enjoyed building it and quite pleased with how its turned out.

Electrics are in but haven’t got reverse for some reason?? 🙁 🙁  I’ll do some investigation tonight and post picks when its finished

Looking forward to running it and answering the million dollar question on how it performs!!

Davy Crockett
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

Suffered a minor setback… connected ESC plugs wrong way round and puff of blue smoke 😮 😮

Had a quikrun 1060 spare so that’s now in. Had a couple of hours since last post and she’s about there now  🙂 🙂 🙂

Just got to get it on the trail and get it mucky now!!!

Thanks for looking and hope its been of interest 🙂 🙂

Geoff
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Looks great, well done.

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Davy Crockett
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★

All built and had a little test this afternoon… wish I could say its great but major problem 🙁

Front drive shafts are dog bone ends that sit in a cup, much like the Tamiya CC01s, full steering lock there was a big ‘jitter’ and one wheel locked up. Result is a bent drive shaft 🙁 🙁

So before first run, I have to replace something that’s failed ????? Doesn’t bode well for a hard trail run!

For the cost of the kit, I’d expect CVD’s but that’s a £24 upgrade part

Other than that, it looks good!? 😀

Grasshopper
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

Front drive shafts are dog bone ends that sit in a cup, much like the Tamiya CC01s, full steering lock there was a big ‘jitter’ and one wheel locked up.

Ouch. Were the end points on your Tx set up correctly? I had a similar binding on my Gelande2 because I forgot to limit the servo travel. If they were, then that doesn’t look great – I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues. The reviews have generally been pretty favourable for this truck…

I hope that’s the only stumbling block to getting this out on the trails.

Davy Crockett
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

Ouch. Were the end points on your Tx set up correctly? I had a similar binding on my Gelande2 because I forgot to limit the servo travel. If they were, then that doesn’t look great – I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues. The reviews have generally been pretty favourable for this truck… I hope that’s the only stumbling block to getting this out on the trails.

Looking further into the issue, the end points/travel were set up incorrectly (but don’t tell anybody I made a mistake! 😀  )

In a way I’m glad its my fault and not a product issue. I too have only heard good things about the Demon.

Ive since ordered a set of CVDs, Simon at Greens models been a great help 🙂

Davy Crockett
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

Demon had its 1st run this saturday and apart from a few niggles/untightened bits, it went well.

Last few days rain made the ground fun and no-so-fun in places, plenty of loose leaves and fallen branches to give it a good workout!

Anyway…. a few pics…..

Immediate finding is its very top heavy (not something I usually complain about 😀 😀  ), plastic wheels are fitted and am going to sort some metal ones. Both wing mirrors gone after 10 mins maximum

Stock tyres are OK at best, struggled on the wet moss and rocks, barely coped on the loose dirt – managed to get round the run though.

Theres a few little bits to do, re-waterproof RX, tighten a few bits and drill a drain hole in the battery tray. Ran on a 2200mah 2s and really surprised it managed over an hour

Overall pretty pleased with its 1st run!

Thanks for looking and that’s all folks!!

Sysop
                                Retrocosm
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★

Looks mean on the trail, cool pics.  Wing mirrors rarely last very long, especially on top heavy rigs 😉  The tread on those tyres does look like it would clog up pretty quick.  I’d suggest adding some wheel weights if you’re going for new wheels and tyres.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.