This topic contains 45 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    DartmoorTrails
    DartmoorTrails
    • Looking For Mud

Really like the look of this truck, think they nailed the body design ::thumb::
    With the side fitted rock sliders, are the ‘feet’ looking mounts stock and are they alloy or plastic? It’s one thing I dislike about my SCX10 and I don’t think alloy replacements warrant ~£20!!

Shall follow your build with great interest.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    DartmoorTrails wrote:
    Really like the look of this truck, think they nailed the body design ::thumb::
    With the side fitted rock sliders, are the ‘feet’ looking mounts stock and are they alloy or plastic? It’s one thing I dislike about my SCX10 and I don’t think alloy replacements warrant ~£20!!

Shall follow your build with great interest.

Thanks, it is a nice shell and seems to be well moulded, it’s also nice to have a non hilux/jeep shell option.
    The ‘feet’ are indeed plastic, I will be seeing how they work out and make some steel/alloy ones if I need to.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Very nice, you’re really transforming this into something special, it has a great stance.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    Very nice, you’re really transforming this into something special, it has a great stance.

Thanks Charlie,

I hope it can stand out among other SCA-1E’s at least for a little while. I have my eye on a new shell for this but that can wait for the moment.

Being playing with sketchup again today :-) .

Found, on 3dwarehouse, a bench seat in a 3d model of a pickup.I got rid of the rest of the pick-up and tweaked the design to give a printable model. I currently have it scaled to 130mm wide as this will suit the coyote body.

18ryVu1.jpg

Also found and modified a dashboard. Again I had to scale it fit in the available space and I altered the radio and gauges to make it printable.

RY9ocUm.jpg

Once the printer is up and running again I can print these off and get on with the interior.

I am also going to see if I can work out how to model a new grill as most of the 4×4 Toyota (toyopet) Stouts I can find pictures of have a double headlight grill. I shall post progress as it happens.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well today has had highs and lows for this build, got the printer kind of working late last night so gave printing the dash and seat a try.

Although not the best prints I have ever done they came out useable (the bottom edges warped on both the seat and dash) however the ropey bits won’t be seen ::cool

Gave the seat a light sand and then hand painted it with a brownish acrylic. between coats made a simple styrene box that will attach to the body and hold the seat in place along with the dash etc. The dash needs some more work to make it blend into the bottom the windscreen better but I am again happy with the overall effect.

The low was blowing all the LED’s in the body by forgetting to install the current limiting resistors and switching the lights on ::doh::. Fortunately I didn’t damage the controller and have managed to replace most of the LED’s I can’t get one of the rears out without removing the a lot of other bits (which I can’t be bothered to do) and I had to leave one of the running lights not working as I can’t find my stock of 3mm orange LEDs at the moment.

Jn8pVPv.jpg

njWOrQ7.jpg

::thumb::

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Using the mock up interior I made at the weekend I have managed to model the complete interior insert ready to print it :-)

TA7DXht.jpg

hZJSuEl.jpg

3WpoIvJ.jpg

IWUWMuS.jpg

I shall hopefully get all the bits printed over the next few days and then I can trial fit it in the body and see how well it fits ::pray

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Realism with lexan. Who’d have thunk it ::eek Turning into a really nice little truck ::thumb:: ::cool

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    Realism with lexan. Who’d have thunk it ::eek Turning into a really nice little truck ::thumb:: ::cool

I know good isn’t it. Virtually indestructible shell with good scale appearance what’s not to like, ::eek

The printer is currentl printing the first couple of sections, so in a couple of days i should have a full set to do a trial assembly with ::pray

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Great build Pete, thanks for sharing!
    Nice to see another platform for a project, be interested in your thoughts on the kit. I have a carisma Audi Quattro and for the money its great fun.
    Like the look of the coyote, bit retro and like the pics of the ‘weathered’ version.
    I’ll be having another rig next year and this might make the shortlist :hmmm:

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Davy Crockett wrote:
    Great build Pete, thanks for sharing!
    Nice to see another platform for a project, be interested in your thoughts on the kit. I have a carisma Audi Quattro and for the money its great fun.
    Like the look of the coyote, bit retro and like the pics of the ‘weathered’ version.
    I’ll be having another rig next year and this might make the shortlist :hmmm:

Cheers Davy, I am really happy with the kit so far, yes I know I have already modded it ::doh:: , For the money I really don’t think you can get anything any better straight out of the box, yes it can be improved, mostly just lowering the ride height and adding a small spacer to each rear lower link to adjust the pinion angle. The plastics seem to be durable although the shock hoops are quite flexible but with the shell on they are held in place accurately enough. The body it’s self appears to be of a good thickness of lexan and well molded, with some nice scale bits like the mirrors, door handles etc. The Supplied TX/rx is good enough and seems to well enough, the servo is metal geared which is nice to see and the ESC is a hobbywing quicrun although only the 40amp version. it will run on 3s as long the pinion gear size is dropped from the stock 17T to 13T.

The biggest upgrade that, in my opinon, it needs is to replace the bushings in the drivetrain with decent sealed bearings but for an RTR at this price point I certainly won’t be complaining that it didn’t come with a complete set of bearings.

That said a couple of stock RTR rigs ran the Proline 12hr challenge with no breakages with the team coming second overall, also gaining G6 certification.

The last bit that sold it for me is that the fact that Carisma Scale Adventure are a UK based company, yes the kits are manufactured in China but then so are most of the other offerings out there.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So with the printer back in action I have run off a complete set of the interior parts and trial assembled them (with trusty masking tape) and all looks to be good (well apart from the terrible print quality ::doh:: ) ::thumb::

KV5bNPi.jpg

7iMv2v4.jpg

bG93SHF.jpg

tVJLGsv.jpg

The next set of parts are printing at the moment (having tweaked the printer settings) the only change I have made to the design is to incorporate the door cards into the side walls, thus reducing the number of parts to be printed.

More soon.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got the paints out today and finished up the interior, I used the styrene prototype as I am still dialing in the quality on the printer.

w9Tu99I.jpg

I need to resize the steering wheel slightly as it is currently a litle on the large side. I used a couple of the door cards I had alreay printed and added them to the styrene side walls.

ds4JAOT.jpg

Tv7XBWr.jpg

I also put a couple of scale items in the bed.

icw270V.jpg

SEx3nG9.jpg

I am probably going to make a steering guard as the steering links are a little exposed, but I think I can call this build done. I am hoping to get it out on the trails over the christmas period and see how badly I have hurt the performance.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good Pete. Really impressed with the quality of the print, I can see me getting a 3D printer at some point to do some of the builds I’ve been thinking about.

M and M
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

That turned out nice, like it a lot.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Tim_ wrote:
    Looking good Pete. Really impressed with the quality of the print, I can see me getting a 3D printer at some point to do some of the builds I’ve been thinking about.

Cheers Tim, Very happy with the overall look. The printed bits made a huge difference for minimal effort ::eek

I don’t regretting getting my printer, but it has taken 18 months of tinkering to get it to work how I wanted it to.

M and M wrote:
    That turned out nice, like it a lot.

Thank you sir.

Had it out for it’s maiden run today, have to say I am very, very impressed with the performance. My mods haven’t made a noticeable difference to the abilities (was running with another un-modded coyote). Best bit was nothing broke and one 2200Mah 3S lipo lasted about 2hrs.

7RXiY3P.jpg

n9i3kuO.jpg

qfc8Io5.jpg

oDRLhmu.jpg

lP3h34l.jpg

0AqD08L.jpg

6UGUm8A.jpg

They may be some video in a bit, just fighting edditing software :crazy:

Thanks as always for looking.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.