This topic contains 45 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Bit of an impulse buy this :whistle: ,

Having had a good look at one at the Nationals, and chatting to a couple of the folks who had been running them to help develope them, I came away really impressed with the specification and price point of these. I had intended to wait for the kit version to come out but then Martin @ RCBitz had some of the RTR’s at a really good ::doh::

My plans are to make a few bits of metal work (bumper’s and rock sliders), Chassis mount the servo, install some leds and a winch. I will also be changing the wheels for a set of SSD beadlocks and iroks that I have spare. Lastly I will make a simple interior, drop bed and arch liners.

I will be removing and selling the TX/RX (not that I think there is anything wrong with them I just prefer my Flysky) as well as the wheels/tires.

MJmqjvG.jpg

8SOzfMy.jpg

I will update this thread as and when I make any changes. I will also try and do a review of it when I get a chance to take some better pictures.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It Looks like a good Vehicle, ::thumb:: I looked at this but decided to go with the Red Cat.

I have no doubt, you will be making it in to a super truck. ::thumb::

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks like it could be quite a nice build Pete. I can’t quite make it out on the photos, but are those tires “Rock Kippers”??

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Geoff wrote:
    It Looks like a good Vehicle, ::thumb:: I looked at this but decided to go with the Red Cat.

I have no doubt, you will be making it in to a super truck. ::thumb::

Yeah, the Red Cat looks as though may be another good option, For me, having had a chance to have a good look at one before buying made this the obvious choice.

neilus wrote:
    Looks like it could be quite a nice build Pete. I can’t quite make it out on the photos, but are those tires “Rock Kippers”??

Not quite “Rock Kippers” but “Rock Rippers” ::lolz

I hope to keep it relatively stock, as I really need a rig that isn’t full of custom one off bits that choose the most inopportune moments to destroy themselves.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So I have spent the weekend making the Coyote my own.

I have fabbed up a CMS and panhard plus a new drag link and 3 linked the front. Swapped out the shocks for some shorter ones, flipped the motor and trans around so that the spur is out of the space I want to stick an interior in, in the future. Also made a foward battery mount and new electronics plate. Lastly made some simple rock sliders to replace the stock ones. By the end of the week I should have a cheap winch to slap on the front.

OufdPqW.jpg

sXJfCxH.jpg

izV5YI7.jpg

bB6UmX0.jpg

DQSI5XU.jpg

WZ6KrFK.jpg

HwjBVDM.jpg

CwCztQu.jpg

None of the changes were needed as the box stock rig works really well from what I have seen, I just have an aversion to axle mounted servos and jacked up ride heights with massive articulation. Next steps will be to design and print the drop bed and half interior. I intend to get this out for a run next weekend, so we shall see how much worse I have made the performace.

M and M
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Could I ask what metal your using for the drag link and panhard ? I need to make some for a project and don’t really want threaded rod in tube thingy, thanks.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    M and M wrote:
    Could I ask what metal your using for the drag link and panhard ? I need to make some for a project and don’t really want threaded rod in tube thingy, thanks.

The ones on here are 3mm o/d stainless steel tube that I then cut M3 threads on using a die.

M and M
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Thanks for the info, will work from that.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    M and M wrote:
    Thanks for the info, will work from that.

Your welcome.

Tonight the bed floor fell out.So I can test fit the drop bed I have designed and printed . The first version needs a couple of small corrections but I am pleased with the results so far.

SUIeK0n.jpg

CCdGr7z.jpg

tmn3pcT.jpg

So now I know what corrections need to made I can change the 3D model to suit and print a final version, I am also going to drawand print a tool chest to cover the spur gear and some inner fenders for the front.

Thanks for looking more as and when I get the printer working again.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I have a new respect for 3D printed stuff for these trucks after assembling the Comanche. Amazing what you can achieve ::eek

Can the motor be moved to the front on the Coyote?

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    I have a new respect for 3D printed stuff for these trucks after assembling the Comanche. Amazing what you can achieve ::eek

Can the motor be moved to the front on the Coyote?

I don’t see why not, it would need a new motor mount making and maybe the skid modified to take a transfer case. I may have a play along those lines later.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

As the parts for the printer are currently winging there way from Hongkong, I decided to finish the prototype drop bed the old school way and broke out the styrene :-)

Using the dimensions from the cad model I reshaped the front of the bed to better match the profile of the body and also altered the size of the wheel wells, with that all done I gave the inside of the bed a couple of coats of black acrylic and then finally glued the bed and body together using silicone.

whilst the paint on the bed dried I made a box to cover the spurgear and gave that a couple of coats of silver, once the silver has dried I will highlight a couple of details on the latch and then glue it to the bed.

hc7kSoU.jpg

sjv0uHU.jpg

mYns70N.jpg

Y4OaaSs.jpg

As I had the shell off I took the opportunity to install some leds and a winch on the front bumper. As the rear light bucket is for a single 5mm led I painted the complete lense red as it seemed pointless having an indicator and reverse lights that showed red.

9CgeNGB.jpg

L1FMj0C.jpg

The indicators on the wings are a sticker from the factory, so I removed that and then removed the paint underneath and gave the clear lense a good coat of clear orange, I will probably paint some silver around the lense to create the effect of a bezel, and then installed the optional (included with the truck) light buckets and some orange LED’, I have wired them as side/running lights that come on with the head lights.

Tomorrow I will sort out some magnets to secure the rear, connect up the Heyok lighting controller and secure the rear bumper.

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good Pete, I like the rear lights.

I found an old picture, of you in your work shop. :whistle: :holdinitin:

prod_637_30708.gif

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made a little more progress on this tonight :-)

Inner wings done (well at least for the moment)

Also added some detailing to the paint.

CEEtcVa.jpg

chSmZ0e.jpg

lVGclG3.jpg

GfgUNx3.jpg

TOiOOQ5.jpg

Just need to finish the hooking up the lights, and start on the interior. Oh and get it muddy.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I like the look of the reversed out ‘deep dish’ wheels but does it make the wheels stick out further than normal?

It should certainly be fairly planted on the trails though ::thumb::

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.