Scale RC Forum General News & Discussion Scale RC News Complete Pro44 Axle Sets from SSD

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

pro44 complete front main

SSD have recently released both front a rear complete axle sets based on the Axial AR44s.

Front axles features:-

Scale design and assembly
    Injection molded nylon main housing
    Removable diff cover
    Metal bearing holders
    Removable heavy metal axle tubes
    CNC machined aluminum C hubs (SSD00145)
    CNC machined aluminum knuckles (SSD00144)
    CNC machined aluminum link mounts (SSD00159)
    CNC machined hardened steel locker (SSD00196)
    CNC machined hardened steel gears, 8T/30T ratio same as stock SCX10 II (SSD00181)
    CNC machined hardened steel CVD axle shafts (SSD00219)
    Same size as stock SCX10 II AR44 axle
    Same link mount locations as stock SCX10 II axle
    Direct fit onto SCX10 II chassis

And the rear:-

pro44 complete rear main

Full details at the SSD Website

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve just received a set of these for a build i’m about to start. They are my first ever SSD axle and i must say they are great. Nice and heavy too. And the tolerances are superb.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes, they are superb, I’m a big fan.  I have the rear axle set and am waiting on the front.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

My front arrived this morning. Hoping to get it built up this evening. Just need to decide what to put them on then !

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve put mine together.  I opted to change the rears so I could add lockouts to accomodate the brass weights.  It spoils the appearance a little but I need that weight there.

Did you use the supplied shim on the input shaft when building yours Neil?

I do love the quality of this SSD stuff and, somewhat bizarrely, there’s a spare front CVD supplied.

P1090102

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes, i used the shim. Felt a little loose without it and marginally tight with it. But i figured it would break in!

I also got a spare CVD. And, i ordered 2 pairs of weights and then realised the rears won’t fit. So, i’m toying with the idea of ordering some shorter rear tubes and lockouts so i can use them. Out of interest, where did you get the black weights from? RCMart only had brass ones so i thought i’d paint them silver….

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well I wanted the black ones but they only had brass listed which I ordered.  However when they arrived they were black!  I had the same feeling with the shim, as it was supplied I though it best to use it.

One other question, did you bother using any threadlock?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ooh mine might come black from rcmart then. Hope so.

Yes to threadlock but only where the bolts screws into any metal and just a tiny drop. Have always done that on any build 👍

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Also, i wondered why 2 diff covers were included. I fitted the opposite one to you and i guess yours is just designed to slide over rock a little better ??

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes definitely, the standard diff covers tend to hook up on obstacles very easily, whereas the others are more likely to slide over.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes definitely, the standard diff covers tend to hook up on obstacles very easily, whereas the others are more likely to slide over.

I see. I’d better swap mine over 😁

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Neil, I’ve had to remove the shims, I couldn’t locate the pins on any of the drive shafts I have.  Even with it removed I couldn’t only just about get a Punisher shaft on.

Very irritating having to completely disassemble them!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I hadn’t thought about that. I’ll go and check mine.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Charlie,

You were completely correct. I also couldn’t get either a Gmade shaft or a Punisher to fit without removing the shim. Makes me wonder why the included the shim!

Anyway, while the axles were apart i fitted the ‘less snaggy’ diff cover and added some lockeduprc scale bolts i had.

Oh, and the brass weights i ordered from RCMart, which were brass coloured, have turned up and they are black, so please about that.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Very nice, and black weights, yay!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.