Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Class 2 Defender Pickup

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s going to be (yet again) a thing I can beat on at the G6. Assuming of course that Brexit doesn’t change my plans. Also signed up for the 12 hour enduro at the G6 in Belgium in August, so need a non-scratch-built thing for that. Assuming I can be bothered with the whole 12 hours. Other than that this one is a tribute to Mark because Mark love Land Rover long time.

It’s based on the Axial SCX10ii builders kit because that’s supposed to be a good base to start with. Closest I’ve been to Axial becore this is the AE5 ESC and pre-AR44 SCX10 axles.

Also installed some cantilevers. Not sure why I’m bothering with a deep bed when the SCX transmission means my interior is going to tank.

Body arrived from China. This body is getting minimal love, no cage, no lights or anything up top. Have to keep the CoG below the belt. May be in the market for brass beef tubes, knuckles, shock towers, links and wheel weights soon…

Now busy turning 275mm into 300mm.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I get the impression they’ve shifted a lot of those builders’ kits, one of the best ideas they’ve had for a while.  I believe Samix amongst others do a whole load of brass bits for these to get your weight down low.  There’s me thinking you were going to shorten the links but of course that would be too easy, just lengthen the body instead!

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I get the impression they’ve shifted a lot of those builders’ kits, one of the best ideas they’ve had for a while. I believe Samix amongst others do a whole load of brass bits for these to get your weight down low. There’s me thinking you were going to shorten the links but of course that would be too easy, just lengthen the body instead!

Yeah thanks, have had a look and there’s lots of options. Will tune the weight when the body is done. Made a little progress with that yesterday.

Bed is bobbed. Not sure why I did that, other than becase I can. Also got the bed extension done, and the easy part of the back of the cab.

Hope to get the body done this weekend.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Back of the cab is there, bar filler and sanding.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looking good, I like the bobbed rear, and the cab back is nicely done.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looking good, I like the bobbed rear, and the cab back is nicely done.

Thanks. The stretch panels will be painted rust-coloured (but not rust!!) primer. Needs to look like the beater it is. Speaking of which…

raven62
    raven62
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

It looks so easy when you show your rigs.

Wish I get your feeling for proportions and style.

Regards

Ralf

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It looks so easy when you show your rigs.

Wish I get your feeling for proportions and style.

We look at others’ builds and see our own shortcomings. I wish I could do what you do with metal. Because when your only tool is styrene everything starts looking like a thumb.

Got the rear body mount done (magnets). Also started with the inner fenders which will support the front body mount.

Couldn’t find a big tire ride height I liked for a Defender, so this is going to be a class 1 truck after all.

A Defender on an SCX10ii is a whole herd of frustration. Shocks are way too long for it, but shorter shocks bind the axles and links and tie rod and panhard. And so you end up with a rather constrained interior…

Also took the cantilevers back out and put the shock towers back in. I like the look. Bed still needs some changes though.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got the inner fenders done.

Done witht the body I think. Need to let the uneveness and scratches on the styrene alone – this isn’t a trailer queen.

Now working on the cab. Early attemps were… 😮 Well. I’ll be doing my own thing.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You made adding that rounded cab back look so easy! Now you have the familiar joys of fitting the interior around the Axial transmission.  Love the struts on the fenders.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You made adding that rounded cab back look so easy! Now you have the familiar joys of fitting the interior around the Axial transmission. Love the struts on the fenders.

Lol sorry. I did it the hard way. Easy would’ve been to not be so tight and shell out for the Defender pickup instead. It’s ready-made! I’ve been spoilt with GCM chassis. This motor in the middle thing feels very oldschool. And eyah, those struts. Not sure why I put so much effort into those…

Anyway. Window rubbers are in. Also made the left door into something pilfered from a Land Rover Wolf.

The Wolf also sacrificed it’s filler cap. The original had to be relocated because of the bob.

Going dark for 10 days. Off to France with my snowboard.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Started painting today…

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wrong flag for you, I’m bringing paint to the G6 to correct it.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wrong flag for you, I’m bringing paint to the G6 to correct it.

Thanks no need. It’s done now 🙂

First up a white “iron” cross on one of the doors. The stretch part will stay in dull red primer.

Front will stay like this. Bumper would just reduce approach angles. Might put a servo winch in there if doesn’t get messy (my Axial experience is virtually zero).

Got an old RAF roundel on this side, as well as a plate over the gas cap that got moved because of the bob.

JDM bro.

And that’s why this truck was christened “Blasphemy”. I apologise to the Germans, Brits and Mitsubishi.

I could age/weather this thing a bit. I could also put lights in it and build out an interior. The idea however was a fast beater build for the comp season, and that’s what this is. It’ll get a driver and rear windows, but that’s pretty much it. Cheap, cheerful and somewhat unique.

Most of all it’s not top heavy at all. Body is super light. Electrics are all in, but I need to hook the ESC up to the motor and change out all my Deans connectors for those yellow ones. And then some test driving.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Dialled the paint back a bit and then took it into the forest.

Drives like a champ for sure, but the Skeleton JK is more funner. The Defender is my Recon G6 ride all the same, becasue I won’t cry if it breaks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.