Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Class 2 4Runner On Leafs

This topic contains 47 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    raven62
    raven62
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

I like it. Looking forward to see your thoughts come true.

Regards

Ralf

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I like it. Looking forward to see your thoughts come true.

Cheers Ralf.

Unfortunately the children have broken up for Easter, fortunately I was able to lock them in the cupboard under the stairs so I could have some quality time with my 4Runner.

Paint has been sprayed, in this case Rover Flame Red, I thought it was a bit too orangey and vibrant at first but as I’ve added in the matt black parts I’ve come to like it.  It’s a bit shiny at the moment, I’ve yet to do any weathering.

As per the source vehicle I’ve done a matt black stripe over the bob weld and added some similarily positioned stickers.  The doors although bent, do close when the body is properly attached.  It’s a slightly annoying feature of this body that mounts on the side pull the body into the correct position allowing the doors to line up therefore filling them and mounting a different way would be difficult.

P1090634P1090629P1090616P1090610P1090614P1090599

I’ve also painted the interior in a couple of shades of grey to reflect my outgoing personality, red vinyl was a step too far.  Much to my surprise the rubber sheeting covering the transmission took Tamiya acrylic well so I painted that in one of the greys (is there anything that paint won’t stick to?)

P1090605

P1090631

I have some bucket seats to install which should cover the trans mount bracket.  By total fluke the bottoms of the door cards sit perfectly on the floor I created, I didn’t think to measure in advance, phew.

I had a look at modding the windscreen surround but unfortunately the windscreen is one of those sticky out sort of ones and if you try to use a different piece of clear there’s no way to bring it flush with the body.  What I may try instead is a some beading around the edge shaped in such a way to trick the eye a little.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I noticed when adding in the servo that there was room for a 550 motor with this setup.  I therefore swapped out the 540 and and added my current favourite brushed motor, a hand wound Holmes Hobbies 27T 550.  This motor gives superb slow speed control and plenty of wheelspeed and drag brake.

IMG_2093

I also knocked up a tray for my battery which I wanted to located over the rear axle.  Then I dug out an Axial receiver box which much to my delight fitted perfectly in the space forward of the rear brace, the mounts even lined up with the existing holes.  This meant I could distribute a little more weight rearwards by locating the ESC there, a Quicrun 1080.

P1090638

I then got my Recaro seats and driver added in along with some scale Simpson belts.

P1090635

It’s nice to be able to position a driver to reach the controls and sit at a suitable height within the cabin.  There’s even room to put his feet back on (removed for another build).  Trouble is I can only find some Stilletos removed from another model.  Still, if he’s game.

P1090642

I got hold of one of the liquid chrome pens not expecting particularly great results but I have to say they’re bloody excellent.  I did the window surround and it worked a treat.  I seem however to have a rogue pot of Tamiya Flat Black.  I used it to paint the seats and touch up some other areas and it appears to have dried glossy, most peculiar.

P1090655

P1090662

Winch has also been installed and line replaced with some braided 80 lb fishing line.  I’ve used a Quicrun 1060 to control it.

P1090645

I’ve also added some more stickers and the supplied metal decals which are a little odd in that I can find any direct comparisons with actual vehicles.  I’m not sure what the badges are modelled on but they’re stuck on with shoe goo now so won’t be coming off without a fight.

P1090670

P1090665

P1090659

To get the track I wanted on the axles I’ve used some RC4WD wheel spacers, they’ve added 7mm either side giving me the same width as standard Axial AR44’s.  Barrel nuts are then used to reach the axle stubs which no longer protrude from the hubs as they’re not long enough.  I had to drill the wheel holes to 5mm to accomodate the barrel nuts.  Pushing the wheels out this far also means they can turn full lock without fouling the leaf springs.

P1090686

I had a quick drive around the garden and performance is looking very promising, I’m really looking forward to comping with it.  Still need to do some weathering and add in the inner fenders and lights.

P1090668

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Good pedal control is very hard in stilettos. Someone told me. Apparently.

Anyway, this is looking incredible, great attention to detail as per usual and should be very competitive. Damn you in the nicest possible way.

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Good pedal control is very hard in stilettos. Someone told me. Apparently. Anyway, this is looking incredible, great attention to detail as per usual and should be very competitive. Damn you in the nicest possible way.

Thank you sir, I’m pretty chuffed with the way it has come together.  Hopefully I’ll be able to give it a shake down run at the next Beds scale RC meet.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is my most favourite Toyota! Everything about it is great. All your trucks seem to have a great stance, and this one is no different. I bet it’ll perform great! Any plans for a roll bar in the back?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thank you so much 🙂  I do want a roll bar but I’m conscious of the high up weight it is going to add.  So I keep going back and forth on trying to decide between an RC4WD plastic Marlin one or from a scale and performance perspective a metal one.  I think I’ll order a Marlin one and see if it even fits and also if I can make it look a little more realistic.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The Marlin Crawler roll bar arrived and it fits fairly well, I’m pretty chuffed with how it looks.  I also started on some subtle weathering, using some Agrax Earthshade wash to bring out the depth in the details and also copious amounts of Tamiya sand and show dusted all over the place.  I’ve also made a start on some basic inner fenders.

P1090757P1090747P1090743P1090733P1090730P1090728P1090717

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Very envious of what you’ve done with this. I got as far as taking mine out the box, looking at all the wrong and packing it away again.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Very envious of what you’ve done with this. I got as far as taking mine out the box, looking at all the wrong and packing it away again.

Cheers fella, I’ve done that on more than one occasion, in fact I think I have two or three body shells still waiting attention!

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks ridiculously good, great photos as usual.

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks ridiculously good, great photos as usual.

Thank you kindly 🙂

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Have you comped this yet? I’d be interested in hearing how it drove? And also what you thought of those tires?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Have you comped this yet? I’d be interested in hearing how it drove? And also what you thought of those tires?

Unfortunately not, my local meet scheduled for the 28th was cancelled so I’ve yet to drive it properly.  I’ll keep you updated, I may try to get out with it and do some filming at the local abandoned quarry.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Finally got out and drove this thing, I took some pictures and a little video, first the pictures.

P1100064P1100073P1100057P1100046P1100040_edited-1P1100033P1100030P1100010P1100008P1090996P1090974P1090938P1090934P1090916P1090913P1090872P1090844

I was pleased with the performance of the tyres.  Annoyingly there was a rain shower just before I got there so all of the rocks were wet, but it still climbed like a champ.  A quick video.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.