Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Class 2 4Runner On Leafs

This topic contains 47 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Forgot to mention that I’ve dropped the mounting location for the body by 9mm and added some sliders and a bumper.

P1090549P1090560P1090543

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

A little Dremel action to get the interior to fit around the GCM Racing transmission.

IMG_2016

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Coming along great. Are you going to have it open from cab to bed like the 1:1? It looks like they removed that part for more space for the seats.. tall driver? 🙂

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Coming along great. Are you going to have it open from cab to bed like the 1:1? It looks like they removed that part for more space for the seats.. tall driver? 🙂

Cheers, yes keep the back open.  I won’t know exactly where I’ll be positionion the seats until they arrive.  I’ve ordered these:-

I’m not going for a full replica this time, more of an inspired by.  For example I’ve learnt from experience that comping without doors causes more problems than it solves with more edges and orifices to get hung up on (once I’ve looked at the body kit properly I’ll know how easy it is to take the doors on and off).  I also won’t be running Trepadors, because well, they’re useless.

I’m undecided about the rear frame, I really like the look of it and want to run it but it’s extra weight where I don’t want it and it’s a gate catcher.  Maybe I’ll build it as per the original and just change it when I want to comp, decisions, decisions.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I had a look around to see what colour the interior was on red 4Runners from this era, eek!  I’m not sure I can bring myself to paint the interior red.  Fortunately the truck I’m basing this on has a black interior, phew.

4runner 010

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

A little burst of activity on the 4Runner after a very busy week at work.

I’ve added toyolien’s superb anti-wrap bar which fits perfectly.  I shall get it sprayed black in due course.

P1090588

I also found these little wedges to add to the front leaf springs to improve the drive shaft angle.

P1090586

I’ve removed the side window bar as I don’t believe some 4Runners had them.

P1090578

I’ve removed some additional material from the front arches to ensure no rubbing.

P1090575

I experimented with some thin rubber sheet to cover the trans tunnel, sort of works, not completely sure.

P1090571

Added the doors and tailgate and had to remove about 8mm from the chassis rails to accomodate the latter.

P1090566

Gratuitous flex shot to show that I don’t favour a lot of it.

P1090580

Also started prepping the body for some paint.  I now need to decide how many dents to add.

P1090562

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I now need to decide how many dents to add.

I wouldn’t worry, I’ve seen your driving..  🙂

Looking awesome as expected

There’s something off about the windscreen surround on that body moulding – the bottom line curves up too much or something.. I’m not sure but it looks weird; closest image I could find to your last one for comparison:

Still a cool hard body though.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stance looks spot on, like all your builds. I love it.

There’s something off about the windscreen surround on that body moulding – the bottom line curves up too much or something..

I’ve always thought that since i first saw the body. Something just didn’t look quite right on the front screen. Especially in this shot:

Easily remedied i guess…

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers gentlemen, you’re correct about the windscreen surround, there’s something goofy about the front wings as well, the big ledge above the indicators is well off.  I’m going to have to live with the latter but will look to see what I can do about the former.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Glad I’m not going mad. Cheers Neil, that pic really does illustrate it well; looks like the windscreen is too short height-wise and the A-pillars taper in at the front instead of keeping the same line as the side windows.

I saw ‘noob on SBG had sorted the wings out and also the wheel arches (that have a slight bevel to the lower part) but I think he left the windscreen part, not sure.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I broked it a bit but am confident it will buff out.

P1090589P1090590P1090596P1090593P1090592

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I wish I was able to do that! It’ll look so good once you’ve painted and weathered it.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I wish I was able to do that! It’ll look so good once you’ve painted and weathered it.

Cheers.  A lighter and a rock, that’s it!

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

A lighter and a rock, that’s it!

In the words of John Kay (Steppenwolf): God damn the pusher man!

Seriously though, looks awesome. Can’t believe you managed to distort it right on the bob line without any problems.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks chap 🙂  The Evo-stik PVC Pipe Weld really does bond this stuff like you never cut it, very impressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.