Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Class 2 4Runner On Leafs

This topic contains 47 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I wasn’t going to bother doing a 4Runner as I’ve seen so many fine examples I couldn’t think of anything new to bring to the party.  I have however been toying with the idea of trying to create a leaf sprung truck capable enough to compete in class 2.  Whilst I was pondering the aforementioned idea I came across this and it felt like a project too good to pass up.

main

mainback

maintop

Originally I was going to nab the TF2 chassis from my Baja Blazer but then toyolien posted one of his too good to miss for sale threads including a TF2 chassis with GCM Racing LRT2 transmission already mounted with one of his drop dead gorgeous brackets.    I duly purchased it along with what also happens to by my favourite motor, a hand wound 35 turn Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Pro which Neil very kindly mounted for me.

As always it arrived about 5 minutes after I ordered it so I set to work adding the axles and sorting out the suspension.  I had ideas of trying some AR44 axles with the leafs but instead opted for the relative simplicity of some RC4WD Yota 2s.  These have slightly better steering throw than the Yota 1s supplied as standard with the TF2 and with the front axle overdriven by the GCM transfer box it’s a very capable set up, the only issue from a class 2 perspective being the slight lack of width.

You don’t often see leaf spung trucks in class 2 (members at my local club think I’m strange enough running a full hard body over lexan but I like a challenge) and probably for good reason.  In order to be stiff enough to support the truck I find they tend to be a little bouncy and unyielding so the plan was to tame them with some serious shocks.

With that in mind I raided the parts box for some Traxxas big bores for the front and some Losi ones for the rear.  I removed the springs and filled them with some 4000 weight oil.  Upon fitting I found they worked just as hoped, nicely controlled compression and rebound.

P1090514

P1090521

P1090523

P1090525

P1090527

P1090529

The deep dish wheels certainly give me the width I’m after but they’re not true to the original so I’m using them here just for example.  There didn’t seem to be any 4Runner body kits in the country so I contacted Martin at RCBitz and he just happened to have one that he let me have though I believe he’s expecting new stock imminently.

Once it has arrived I’ll have a better idea about what track width and ride height I will need.  The keen eyed amongst you may have noticed the bracket and upper links on the rear axle.  As I had it I thought I’d mount it and use the links as a sort of anti-wrap setup and it seems to work without impeding any movement.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ooh, looks nice. I’m looking forward to seeing this one come together. The shocks look good on there too. I absolutely love the GCM transmission in my TF2. The overdrive really makes a difference to the performance.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah, the start of another awesome build.

It looks like the Losi shocks might be a little too long with the current mounting as the leaf hangers at the back look like they’d bend the wrong way on compression? I guess that could change when you’ve got the weight of the body and cage over it though.

What tyres are those, I really like them

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ooh, looks nice. I’m looking forward to seeing this one come together. The shocks look good on there too. I absolutely love the GCM transmission in my TF2. The overdrive really makes a difference to the performance.

Cheers Neil, x2 on the GCM trans, I’m continually astonished by how well my class 1 Hilux performs with it, in fact it’s so good I think I could fare pretty well running it in class 2.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah, the start of another awesome build. It looks like the Losi shocks might be a little too long with the current mounting as the leaf hangers at the back look like they’d bend the wrong way on compression? I guess that could change when you’ve got the weight of the body and cage over it though. What tyres are those, I really like them

Cheers Gav, fingers crossed this one will turn out as intended.  The rear suspension is working fine at the moment, I won’t really know exactly how to dial it all in until I know the weight of the body and electronics.

The tyres are RC4WD 1.9 Atturo Trail Blades.  They are a good looking tyre though the supplied foams are very soft and the sidewalls will proabably need supporting with something stiffer.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I just noticed your anti wrap bar. You might find it’ll cause some binding during the suspension travel with out a swing shackle at the axle mount. And then you’ll need 2 mounting points on the axle to stop it rotating.

Tell you what, as this is going to such a good comp build (and i like comp trucks), let me make you one while my TF2 is in bits and i can access the chassis easily? Should be fairly quick and easy if you don’t mind doing painting it?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That would be fantastic Neil, thank you.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That would be fantastic Neil, thank you.

Here you go Charlie. Knocked this up this evening for you. I’ll get it posted tomorrow:

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Neil that is a thing of beauty, thank you, dropped you a PM.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Bed has been bobbed.  I’m quite pleased with how well it went this time, almost straight lines for a change.  I’ve also trimmed the arches based on how I think they were done on the original though it’s difficult to tell considering how mangled they are.

P1090530

I took out just shy of 30mm.

P1090536

P1090520

I’m not entirely sure which wheels and tyres I’ll be running but I quite like these Pro-Line BF Goodrich ones.  I’m not going for a replica on this build, more of an inspired by.

P1090514

If I use the stock mounting it sits too high so I’ll probably sit the body as shown.  This means the floor of the cabin won’t sit flush with the door sills, though to be fair I don’t think the supplied interior does anyway.

Although I like the original with the replacement tube doors I may run full doors as seen here:-

1937816-1546999356-851519

I will probably also run with the rear tailgate as seen here as I don’t really want the tyre hanging out of the back.

maintop

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s got a really nice stance. Is the bed easier or harder to bob than the Mojave?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s got a really nice stance. Is the bed easier or harder to bob than the Mojave?

I’d say slighty more challenging as there are mouldings on the bottom of the bed and mounts for the tailgate hinges.  Having said that, if you’re not removing as much material as I have there are a couple of vertical tabs on the inside of the bed where you might bob, almost as if they were put there as guidelines.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s good to know. I keep looking at this body for my other TF2, but not decided yet…

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve done a little work on the interior today.  The supplied interior sits well above the door line, presumably to allow space for battery and components underneath.  I would however like the floor of the cabin to be somewhere near the floor so I’ve cut out this piece of plasticard to fit around the transmission, it sits right on the chassis rails.

I’ve also cut out the center console from the kit interior which I am going to try to incorporate in some manner.

IMG_1975

IMG_1976IMG_1978

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.