Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Class 1 CMax Comp Build

This topic contains 30 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve wanted a leaf sprung truck to comp with for a while now, partly for the additional scale points, partly for the driving challenge and mainly because they’re cool.

I mmm’d and ahhh’d for while about getting a TF2 but really wanted to use the GCM LRT2 transmission and transfer box with the built in overdrive.  Apparently GCM will shortly be releasing a mounting kit to install the LRT2 in the TF2.

However I decided to just go for a CMax kit and it arrived this week from Canada (no additonal duty yay).

The transmission part comes pre-assembled, you just have to attach your motor to the mounting plate and then build the transfer case which gives you the option of left or right drop.

P1070892

P1070902

The chassis went together nice and easily, the recommended leaf springs are from Tamiya and the shocks are ECX 1/18 scale, they have a nice smooth action but I’m a little concerned as to how durable they will prove to be.

Battery trays and bumper mounts ordered from the GCM Shapeways store.  One thing I hadn’t thought of with this set up is how to add sliders, more pondering required.

P1070934P1070935P1070937

I shall run some sort of winch bumper on the front, for the rear I found this rather tasty aluminium replacement bumper on the RC4WD site, I wasn’t previously aware that they did them.

P1070931P1070932

I ordered the body along with this very nice rear protection frame from RCModelex.

P1070926P1070924

Current wheels and tyres are just for mock up, I’m contemplating cutting the arches to run some larger tyres.  I don’t want to drift into monster truck territory but do want to go a little more aggressive.

Something like this:-

P1070945

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That looks like it’s going to be great build. I do prefer the slightly larger tires if I’m honest. Looking forward to more pics…

1977bnc
    1977bnc
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Looking good… like the tyre/wheel choice</p>

Instagram @scalerc77

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Looking forward to this one, that bumper is nice bit of machining.

FREEDOM83
    FREEDOM83
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

Omg , so nice parts and project . Love that gcm transfer LOL !!!

I will closely follow this project hehehe

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve had a change of heart on this build.  The point was to create a very capable leaf sprung truck for class 1 comping.  The fact is the Blazer body is too big and cumbersome to thread through the sort of course gates that I typically run.

I therefore pinched the Hilux cab from my Truggy and ordered this pre-bobbed bed from Loops.  After a bit of jiggery pokery with the C-Max chassis I think I’ve got it sitting where I want it.  The tyres just fill the arches on full articulation and I think from early impressions that this chassis is going to outperform a stock TF2.

Don’t tell anyone but I might not paint the bed, I quite like it in black.

P1080788P1080787P1080793P1080794

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I must admit, I really like it black too, maybe just a tiny bit of weathering, so it looks like a replacement bed with a very old cab.

I’m a fan of the whole replacement panel look.

I miss having a hard bodied truck to tinker with 🙁

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Love it. It looks great. What wheels are those?

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I must admit, I really like it black too, maybe just a tiny bit of weathering, so it looks like a replacement bed with a very old cab. I’m a fan of the whole replacement panel look. I miss having a hard bodied truck to tinker with 🙁

Yes, I think a little bit of weathering would be appropriate.  Once I’ve added the light lenses and some scale bits I think I might get away with it.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Love it. It looks great. What wheels are those?

Cheers, they are RC4Wd TRO 1.7 wheels.  I think they’re the same as the ones that come on the Marlin Crawler, but in black.

Paulw
    Paulw
    • Hitting The Trail
    • ★★★

Nice one Charlie – yet another truck!, I think there must some NHS help you can get for this type of addiction 🙂

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nice one Charlie – yet another truck!, I think there must some NHS help you can get for this type of addiction 🙂

Erm, well yes, ahem.  Though to be fair this does contain a lot of recycled bits. 😛

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I did a little more work on this today.  Found a rear bumper which works quite well.  I might trim the ends a little as I can envisage them snagging a few obstacles.  I also pinched the rear light lenses off of the original bed and found some Toyota decals which are shiny black plastic, I quite like them against the matt black of the bed.

P1080806

I also knocked up a very basic interior to ensure I have a floor and inner fenders for full scale points.  I decided to locate the battery over the rear axle to try to balance the weight distribution a little.  I’ve kept everything centrally located down the spine of the vehicle and it has paid dividends with this thing capable of some serious side hilling.  In fact on my little garden test course it performed as well as my best Class 2s!

P1080809P1080811

I’ve also started to add some scale bits such as hubs, spare wheel etc.

P1080805

Front approach is pretty impressive.

P1080802

Next job is to add the front winch and I also need to look into a roll bar/frame for the bed.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Winch has been added.  Witness the splendour of my wiring.  I had to Dremmel the grill a little as I didn’t want the bumper sticking out like it was on stalks at the front.

P1080828

P1080817P1080825

On testing I found the rear suspension a little too soft, torque twist was causing the front left to lift too easily so I added some helper springs at the back to stiffen it up a little.  I also added a few weights as it was still too front heavy, I’ll cover these with some styrene.

P1080823

I also added in the bits I needed for comping, my sand/bridging ladders, a stay for the land anchor and some scale bits for pointz!

P1080829

I headed off on Sunday for a Bedfordshire Scale RC meet.  We ran four 10 gate courses on a mixture of loose dirt, moss and tree roots with some serious ascents and descents.  I’m pleased to report the truck performed superbly and came home with first place.  Ok so there were only six people but two of them are previous class winners at the Nats so not too shabby.

I wasn’t running the Iroks seen here but the 1.55 Rock Beasts which did pretty well but the foams were a bit too stiff causing a little too much bounce.  I’d quite like to run these Iroks but as they are wider they foul the leafs quite heavily on full lock, it would be a shame not to use the full steering capability.  I have some Voodoo KLR M/Ts on the way, they are narrower and I’m thinking if I mount them on deep dish beadlocks they may clear the leafs.

P1080845

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Crikey that must turn on a sixpence!

I was a tad confused as I must have missed when this turned from a Blazer to a Hilux. Looks like a proper comp machine.

Random Pepsi sticker.. Looking for freebies? 😀

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.