Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Chevy Stepside, Baja Style

This topic contains 83 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve done some more detailing, a little weathering and started plastering it with stickers as per Baja Rulez.

I’ve decided I’m too in love with the red to cover it up with lots of white so may instead go for some vinyl stripes in white on the bonnet and roof. I’m not sure whether to add the wing mirrors and wipers, you see some with and some without. If I do add the mirrors I might shorten them and do them in black, seen this on a few Baja trucks.

p1050066.jpg

p1050077.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Man that looks awesome ::eek Love the headlights ::thumb::

Neil
    Neil
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks really cool, great job

nitromike
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

Looking really good now with all the stickers on.
    Any plans to add a roll cage inside the cab at all?

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    Man that looks awesome ::eek Love the headlights ::thumb::

Thanks chap :-)

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Neil wrote:
    Looks really cool, great job

Thank you sir!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    nitromike wrote:
    Looking really good now with all the stickers on.
    Any plans to add a roll cage inside the cab at all?

Thank you, I certainly want a frame in the bed with some spare wheel mounts. Inside the cab would be very nice. Either way I shall no doubt have to call upon the talents of Mr Attryde again!

I also want some fast fill fuel tubes in the bed along with various other paraphernalia that you tend to see.

Charlie

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I found these pictures as a helpful reference for the rear frame and other details:-

matt-parks-vintage-open-truck-beer-hauler-ford-f100-norra-1000-pabst-blue-ribbon-race-truck-rear-three-quarter.jpg

parnelli-jones-walker-evans-chevy-c10-race-truck-norra-1000.jpg

I put the dashboard and seats in and found an old bit of Honcho cage that fits rather nicely inside the cab:-

p1050129.jpg

I’ve also done a bit more detailing, added some driver names and an exhaust pipe and started experimenting with the rear framework.

p1050147.jpg

I’ve made the frame out of aluminium links and ball ends for now and added a cut down TF2 bumper at the back.

p1050139.jpg

So far pretty pleased with how it’s coming along.

p1050148.jpg

p1050155.jpg

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

liking that without the white arches.. on the subject of mirrors I had the rubber Yota ones on my Ascender and they looked pretty good.. took a fair bit of punishment too..

some small round car door mirrors could work too, it is a custom truck after all

Al..

Neil
    Neil
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is looking fantastic, can you not do the two spares vertical like the pic? I know it’s extra weight not looks so cool.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Al murray wrote:
    liking that without the white arches.. on the subject of mirrors I had the rubber Yota ones on my Ascender and they looked pretty good.. took a fair bit of punishment too..

some small round car door mirrors could work too, it is a custom truck after all

Al..

Cheers Al, that is true, being custom does give me some latitude on what I can use, may even have something in the parts bin.

Charlie

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Neil wrote:
    This is looking fantastic, can you not do the two spares vertical like the pic? I know it’s extra weight not looks so cool.

Cheers Neil, I’ve been debating that very issue, I have made it so two can sit vertically, it’s just that on all the old footage I’ve watched from the 70’s they have them horizontally, often with an overlap which one chap explained was to give protection when being nudged from behind.

However it does look more balanced when they’re vertical.

Charlie

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve had great trouble finding some suitable racing driver figures. No one seems to make them, Killerbody do one but it’s tiny. In the end I took this Neca figure and pulled the head off, which fortunately was mounted on a ball joint so came off easily.

I then painted a Tamiya racing driver head originally made for the Sand Scorcher and popped it on to the Neca body with a drop of hot glue. I particularly like these heads as they have the era specific open face helmets.

Overall he’s a bit big so I shall have to take the Dremel to the seat and cut a hole for his bum to slot in to. I have another one of the Tamiya heads so need to decide if I want to buy another Neca figure for the co-driver.

p1050185.jpg

p1050193.jpg

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

A Dremel has been applied, the fastest cosmetic surgery ever achieved has resulted in some much smaller bums and thighs. Both drivers are now sitting well in the seats and fit in the cab correctly.

p1050209.jpg

p1050241.jpg

p1050244.jpg

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Inspired by this Parnelli Jones Chevy I’ve decided to do a black portion on the hood.

91178-parnelli.jpg

parade_6.jpg

What I can’t decide is whether to add the white section for the car number. I’ve mocked it up here with a piece of paper.

p1050256.jpg

p1050259.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.