Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Chevy Stepside, Baja Style

This topic contains 83 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve been watching lots of vintage films of various off road races in the US such as the Baja series and the Mint 400. I particularly like this one:-

Anyway I’ve decided to attempt a Stepside in a Baja style.

I had, intended for another project, a Loops sidestep deep bed. Having cut the Blazer in two I offered up the sidestep bed and thought mmmmm.

Then in a flurry of activity I started chopping it up and widening it. As I progressed I began to realise there were a number of reasons why is wasn’t really suitable but it was by then too late.

p1040962.jpg

p1040967.jpg

p1040961.jpg

p1040959.jpg

p1040964.jpg

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I did some experimenting with some Milliput yesterday, I mixed up a pack and moulded it on to the existing flare, having roughed it up and cleaned it.

I was a bit panicky doing it as I’ve never used it before and wasn’t sure how long it would stay maleable for, turns out I needn’t have worried, I had plenty of time to mould it.

I’ve left some excess on so I can cut and sand it back. Things I don’t know are, how quickly it can be sanded, how well it will have stuck to the existing plastic and how tough it will be once it’s cured. From what I’ve read it should be pretty good.

Here’s the bed widened, details still need to be replaced.

p1040975.jpg

And here’s the first flare.

p1040978.jpg

p1040979.jpg

p1040981.jpg

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve started doing some sanding on one of the flares, course only so far to remove the excess and get the overall shape. I’m quite pleased with how hard the Milliput has cured and how nicely it sands. It seems pretty tough though I’m really nervous of banging the more vulnerable bits.

It’s all a bit bunched up at the mo as I need to push out the wheelbase a bit but so for so good.

p1040993.jpg

p1040995.jpg

p1040997.jpg

p1050001.jpg

I’m loosely basing it on this:-

untitled.jpeg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow :wow: Nice start ::thumb:: I love these early-day trophy trucks ::cool

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

liking the idea of this, was tempted with tye idea of a stepside one too but the cutting put me off a little..

Ill be watching this one

Al..

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    Wow :wow: Nice start ::thumb:: I love these early-day trophy trucks ::cool

Cheers chap, I must admit I was quite ignorant of the whole American off road scene of the 60’s and 70’s and didn’t realise it was where Tamiya got a lot of their ideas from. ::doh::

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers Al, I find all the cutting quite nerve-racking, master craftsman I am not, more bodge it and cover it up but so far, fingers crossed this is going quite well.

I’m quite concerned about doing the back of the cab in terms of getting a good strong bond between the plasticard and the existing body. I’ve noticed however on the 1:1s that the bed doesn’t actually attach to the cab so at least there won’t be must stress on it.

Cheers, Charlie

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    Cheers Al, I find all the cutting quite nerve-racking, master craftsman I am not, more bodge it and cover it up but so far, fingers crossed this is going quite well.

I’m quite concerned about doing the back of the cab in terms of getting a good strong bond between the plasticard and the existing body. I’ve noticed however on the 1:1s that the bed doesn’t actually attach to the cab so at least there won’t be must stress on it.

Cheers, Charlie

Im actually surprised none has done a seperate back panel for truggy or pickup use yet.. it would be a handy addition i think..

nice work on those rear fenders btw

Al..

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Quote:
    Im actually surprised none has done a seperate back panel for truggy or pickup use yet.. it would be a handy addition i think..

nice work on those rear fenders btw

Al..

Thank Al, pretty chuffed with how they came out for a first attempt :-)

I’ve dropped the additonal width on the bed by 5mm after I’d finished sanding the rear wheel flares to ensure they line up with the body work. So the overall width added now stands at 25mm.

I filled in the gap on the bed, added back a slider and added a new end to the bed at the cab end. I’ve also glued on a back to the cab, I hope it sticks. I heated up some styrene strips and curved them to the body shape before gluing them just rear of the door, flush with the back of the cab just to give a larger surface area to bond to.

Next, sand, sand, sand.

p1050009.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You’re doing an amazing job ::eek :popanddrink

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking Good, Well Done. ::thumb::

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Last night I cut out the window aperture and did some detailing on the back of the cab. I also moved the rear axles back a bit to better line up with the rear arches.

Ironically on the Stepsides prepared for some of the off road events I’ve been looking at the actual step of the stepside is removed and the rear arches seem to have been trimmed at the bottom, presumably to give better clearance. I sanded the bottom of the arches some more but kind of regret now as they look a bit long and then but hey ho.

p1050015.jpg

p1050017.jpg

p1050022.jpg

Dam
    Dam
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It looks brilliant Charlie ::thumb::

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    dam wrote:
    It looks brilliant Charlie ::thumb::

Thank you sir :-)

It was mild enough to get some primer on today.

p1050026.jpg

p1050024.jpg

p1050029.jpg

p1050033.jpg

p1050038.jpg

p1050035.jpg

colin d
    colin d
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

Looks good in primer.
    A few rust patches, would make it look like a rolling restoration project.
    Nice work you have done on this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.