Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    jonny191
      • Scaling Like A Pro
      • ★★★★★

Great fabrication as usual Pete.

Pete
        • Scale Off Road Pro
        • ★★★★★★

Great fabrication as usual Pete.

Cheers Jonny.

Today brought some more progress, things went slower than I hoped, but I have managed to get the springs attached to both axles and just need to fab and attach the rear shackles and the chassis will be a roller.

Look on axle stands supporting the chassis,

I managed to more or less replicate the 1:1’s spring plates and U-bolts, Making the spring plates stepped to keep the end of the bolts from hanging down took some thought and a couple of failed attempts before I got something that works.

Having the axles located in their final position means I can now finally get back to mounting the motor/trans into the chassis. Last bit from today was to start mock up of the location of the motor/trans to see what the clearances are like, was pleasantly surprised by just how much space is currently available under the hood. Mind you that is a 380 motor not a 540.

So next visit to the shed should result in some motor/trans mounts and then body mounts.

More as and when it happens.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
        Retrocosm
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

That’s just superb Pete, I love it when a plan comes together.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Grasshopper
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

Looking awesome. The fact you’re fabricating 95% of this must give a great deal of satisfaction, it’s a complete one-off (apart from the 1:1 you’re modelling it on!). The size of the tyres compared to the chassis rails makes it look like a very short wheelbase but I think that’a just a trick of the eye – looking forward to seeing it all mounted up and the body on.

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90    Element Enduro D90

Pete
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

That’s just superb Pete, I love it when a plan comes together.

It’s getting there, that’s for sure

Looking awesome. The fact you’re fabricating 95% of this must give a great deal of satisfaction, it’s a complete one-off (apart from the 1:1 you’re modelling it on!). The size of the tyres compared to the chassis rails makes it look like a very short wheelbase but I think that’a just a trick of the eye – looking forward to seeing it all mounted up and the body on.

Cheers, I do very much enjoy the process of fabricating as much as possible.

The wheelbase is in fact very short @ around 9″ but a standard 1:1 Willys wheelbase is only 88″ .

damohick
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

Looks awesome so far Pete, is that an SCX10 ii tranny you’ve done something interesting with?

Pete
                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                  • ★★★★★★

Looks awesome so far Pete, is that an SCX10 ii tranny you’ve done something interesting with?

It is indeed, I have removed the stock spur gear and fitted a 5:1 reduction gearbox and 380 motor to.

damohick
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

Interesting … looks like it’s a good compact unit.

Pete
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

Interesting … looks like it’s a good compact unit.

Yeah, it is nice and tidy, the only thing I am a little concerned about is that the pinion is a press fit onto the motor shaft. I just hope it doesn’t spin on the shaft under load, but time will tell.

Pete
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Managed some more time on the Willys today.

Remade all the leaf spring shackles, as I wanted to use M2 hardware instead of M3, much happier with the look now. Also got the shocks mounted.

I am so glad that SDI propshafts can be cut nice and short 😉

Full tuck at the front, 1mm clearance to underside of fender.

Next I will finally finish making the engine and transmission mounts and attaching them to the chassis and attaching the steering servo, I promise. The last piece of the electronics should arrive this week so once all the mechanical bits are in place I shall be on to the electronics.

More soon, Thanks as ever for looking.

jonny191
                          • Scaling Like A Pro
                          • ★★★★★

Coming along nicely Pete, big thumbs up.

Sysop
                          Retrocosm
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

Yes, very nice Pete and worth it for the M2 hardware, looks much better.  How tough are those SDI driveshafts, I’ve still not got around to trying them?

Pete
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

Yes, very nice Pete and worth it for the M2 hardware, looks much better. How tough are those SDI driveshafts, I’ve still not got around to trying them?

Cheers Charlie. The SDI shafts are really strong, I have only broken one and that was being used as a half shaft,and I was doing something daft. Pretty much everything I run has SDI shafts including the MAZ.

Sysop
                              Retrocosm
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

Cheers Pete, I’ve never quite understood how you shorten them, is the shaft just held in place by grub screws?

Pete
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★

Yep, there is a small flat on the full length shaft where the non sliding u-joint attaches, so to shorten it’s just a case of cutting it to length and making a new flat, I also drill a small dimple, and re-attaching the u-joint (with some loctite on the grub screw.) Conversely you can make them longer by getting some 4mm steel rod and drilling a 2mm hole through it for the drive pin (inside the the sliding joint) to fit into.

I’ll get some pictures when I do the shafts for this.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.