This topic contains 101 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Pete Attryde 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Whilst doing research for the still to be started half track build I kept coming across pictures of Willys MB jeeps, a vehicle I have always had a soft spot for. This resulted in research into Willys jeeps ::doh:: which resulted in me finding on Thingiverse the files for a 1/10 scale 3d printable model designed to be RC it was originally produced by Ossum but has been remixed a few times now, the orginal files can be found here.

So far around several 3d printer issues (the heated bed stopped working making printing ABS impossible) I have managed to print the entire body and glued it together. The body has been nicely designed, the main tub being in two parts and then the front and rear fenders, grill, bonnet, scuttle panel and windscreen all being seperate items.

I won’t be printing the chassis or axles, although I may print some parts for the axles, but am printing a set of 1.55 wheels I again found on Thinigverse.

The axles are going to be modified metal SCX-10 II narrowed to 120mm with leaf spring mounts. Drive train and electrics to be decided, as usual I will be making a steel c section chassis replicating the 1:1.

Ok enough words :pics:

20170917_155155_zpsw9lexvhd.jpg

20170917_155147_zps1hb3g2vt.jpg

20170917_155111_zpsajwlrssl.jpg

Having put it all together, I then started cutting the windscreen up as I didn’t like it. On a 1:1 jeep the screen appears to have a tubular frame. So today was spent cutting and bending some small stainless tube I have to make the new screen. I have kept the lower part of the printed screen as it matches the scuttle panel very closely and I will be using the inner part of the original too.

DSCF5657_zpso27qgfcu.jpg

DSCF5656_zpsc7bzibns.jpg

DSCF5660_zpscjccpiid.jpg

More as it happens, although I have a commission job to complete and I need to prep for the nationals too.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Dam
    Dam
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ohhh that’s nice. ;popcorn;

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I did wonder what you where up to :hmmm: so whats the width of the body?,thats quite a bit of axle narrowing your doing.
    That printed body looks like an excellent base for some of your awesome fine detail work ;popcorn;

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    dam wrote:

grubbybuz wrote:
    so whats the width of the body?

Off the top of my head erm not very ::doh::

I’ll stick a tape measure across it tomorrow and report back ::thumb::

But yes it is going to be a narrow axle but I have most of the bits already in place, atleast for the front axle, providing the citroen passes it’s MOT on saturday I should be able to get the front axle mocked up over the weekend.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Pete Attryde wrote:
    dam wrote:

grubbybuz wrote:
    so whats the width of the body?

Off the top of my head erm not very ::doh::

I’ll stick a tape measure across it tomorrow and report back ::thumb::

But yes it is going to be a narrow axle but I have most of the bits already in place, atleast for the front axle, providing the citroen passes it’s MOT on saturday I should be able to get the front axle mocked up over the weekend.

It measures 140mm wide at it’s widest point.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s going to look lovely, I’m assuming there won’t be a lot of room for your electricky bits!

Dam
    Dam
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

When I first saw the title, I thought you’d got yourself a Monster Beetle ::doh::

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    That’s going to look lovely, I’m assuming there won’t be a lot of room for your electricky bits!

The worst bit to hide will be the battery. I shall be using a 380 motor on what ever transmission I choose, steering servo I may have to get inventive with, but that’s the kind of challenge I enjoy :crazy:

dam wrote:
    When I first saw the title, I thought you’d got yourself a Monster Beetle ::doh::

I thought the title might catch some out ::evilgrin

laters
    laters
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Is that a low loader (low boy) the body is sat on in the first few photos Pete?

The body looks superb. I really must give this 3d printing lark a try.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    dam wrote:

Yeah. I thought Mercedes Benz :hmmm: This one will be interesting. Wheelbase must be under 280mm?

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    laters wrote:
    Is that a low loader (low boy) the body is sat on in the first few photos Pete?

The body looks superb. I really must give this 3d printing lark a try.

yes its a low boy, i’m finishing it for a friend. 3d printing has opened up a whole realm of new possibilities for me as I don’t have the patience to build bodies from styrene. It’s taken awhile to get the print quality I wanted from this printer but I am now really please with it.

Fourth Protocol wrote:
    dam wrote:

Yeah. I thought Mercedes Benz :hmmm: This one will be interesting. Wheelbase must be under 280mm?

I do have a Merc build (besides the Unimogs), I would like to do but it’s a long way off. Jeep wheelbase is a massive 205ish (8″) as standard I might stretch this one to maybe 215mm but i need the tires to arrive before I can make the final descision.

If this body proves to be to small I can always scale it up to 1:9 or 1:8.5 and re-print it ;-).

I got the printer back up and running reliably again so have now printed all of the wheels, I’ll pop some pic’s up later.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

No Pictures of the wheels as I am not totally happy with them ::doh::

However decided 1:10 was just a little to small for the level of detail I am aiming for, plus I had to redesign a few bits as I found a 1:1 build that I want to replicate that has some subtle mods to the body that I wanted to incorporate.

Here’s a pic of the inspiration

20130901_141110_zpsnna73tnu.jpg

It’s a 1942 Willys MB on 35″ tires with at essentially stock (1″ lift) ride hieght. It’s known as Rango and has done the Ultimate adventure twice. Build thread can be found here :- Rango on Pirate 4×4 , it’s a long read ;-)

So a number of hours in front of the PC all parts are now rescaled and I have also created the tweeked bits and begun printing. Today I glued the main bits together of this and started on a second for a Scalefabshop customer (this one is going to be stock)

20171021_140919_zps8jdrxpfv.jpg

20171021_140913_zpsimwmokaz.jpg

20171021_140909_zpsareufnqo.jpg

Drive train is going to be essentially the same just the axles will be wider and the tires will be 100mm not 80mm.

more soon.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Man this 3D printing thing, I still can’t get used to it and am so impressed with results. I love the fact you can just scale it up a bit and reprint, so much freedom and flexibility, it looks superb.

I really like your 1:1 inspiration, when I was doing my 1:6 I watched a lot of videos and couldn’t believe the obstacles they were getting these things over. So much cooler than modern day Jeeps.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Another fantastic build in progress!

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    Man this 3D printing thing, I still can’t get used to it and am so impressed with results. I love the fact you can just scale it up a bit and reprint, so much freedom and flexibility, it looks superb.

I really like your 1:1 inspiration, when I was doing my 1:6 I watched a lot of videos and couldn’t believe the obstacles they were getting these things over. So much cooler than modern day Jeeps.

Cheers Charlie, 3d printing certainly has helped me develope my builds and yes being able to resize and reprint really does help. The funny thing is I originally planned to build a similar jeep to yours but then stumbled across Rango and knew it was what I was looking to build.

Tim_ wrote:
    Another fantastic build in progress!

Thanks Tim.

Even at 1:9 this is still pretty small, here’s a couple of pictures of the Willys next to my Blue JK

20171022_162139_zpseu7ewgpg.jpg

20171022_162103_zpspimhsi4e.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.