Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Fourth ProtocolFourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The outside is good – it’s much like the 1:1 and provides something to make the windshield itself sit flush, but the inside needs a bit of work.

windscreen06.jpg

Cleaned up, needs some more work though.

windscreen07.jpg

bill wrote:
    Halfords red plastic primer is quite a good match for that interior and is a nice matt finish too……..if the Tamiya is too vibrant.

Bill you get the prize. Again. I’ve had a lot of comment about colour – mostly about how ordinary blue is for a Bronco, and how wrong red is, ever. Even Ms. Protocol has issues. And here you go offering useful advice :silly:

I tried some paint on the seats. Only two coats yet, but more than enough to gauge. Nokia really do make stonking cameras – the photo is almost exactly how it looks for real.

Inside02.jpg

Inside03.jpg

It IS too vibrant. It’s really in-your-face red. And I love it :woohoo:

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Lol that’s not your bronco, that’s a hotwheels

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    bill wrote:
    Lol that’s not your bronco, that’s a hotwheels

Lol don’t ruin it 😆

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Besides the minor detail of the missing steering wheel, the inside is done. Made a spectacular mess of the dashboard, and repairs (touching up parts here and there) are still in progress, but it’s done. Gauges are in too, and are glass-fronted.

inside04.jpg

inside05.jpg

In the words of Hancock, I can do better. I will do better. In the words of Dr. Claw, “Next time, Gadget”… Learnt a lot from this. The next one will indeed be better (going to ask Neil to paint it for me :whistle:), but this one will do.

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Just finished reading the Checklist Manifesto (yeah, very hipster), so made a list of stuff I need to get through –

Body

• Dashboard magnets
    • Wheel arches
    • Roof seating holes
    • Bonnet catch
    • Prime
    • Paint
    • Door hinge covers
    • Adjust post mount holes

Front

• Lights
    • Winch
    • Tow hooks
    • Bumper

Back

• Boot door
    • Lights
    • Tow hooks
    • Bumper

Doors

• Outside handles
    • Small windows
    • Large windows
    • Rear view mirrors

Inside

• Driver
    • Steering wheel
    • Rear view mirror

Roof

• Rigdes
    • Windows

I mentioned a while ago that I need to shorten the front links. That was a stupid idea because the positive caster in the front is just right at the moment. Which means moving the body forward instead, and maybe adjusting the rear links, so also need to adjust the body-post-mount-receiver-hole-things.

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Soooo the bonnet is in. Works ace, but I really should use the geometry I have on the boot door, as the photo below shows it up as far as it’ll go. The vents on the bonnet catch on the cowl.

BonnetHinges05.jpg

Going to leave it like this for now. Removing the bonnet (and boot door) is a laborious process, because access to the nuts and bolts is a bit constrained. Had also hoped to get the catch in, but Ms. Protocol and I ended up putting our little Jedi to bed and watching Jack Reacher instead.

The bonnet should also get a strut (or the hinges should get springs) to keep it up – it’s heavier than I thought, so drops down too easily. But that’s also for another day.

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Today we successfully completed high speed stability and manoeuvrability tests.

testing01.jpg

testing02.jpg

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

One of those fruitful weekends that ends with nothing really completely finished. Spend most of the time working on the tailgate. It’s got space for lights, but that’s where I haven’t thought it through so well. The wires are going to show :( Also stripped down the grill at front – needed work for lights too.

boot07.jpg

The tailgate is in now. Still needs some touch-up paint (only noticed the ding on the D in this photo), and the inside of it needs to be tidied up, but can do that during the week.

boot08.jpg

These hinges so need to go under the hood too. They’re heaps better! Anyways, I’m really glad I made them for the boot, because it provides easy access to the battery tray. With clips to hold the body down that’s going to go a long way to saving the fairies that die every time I swear (I’m really good).

boot09.jpg

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    It’s got space for lights, but that’s where I haven’t thought it through so well. The wires are going to show :(

This might help, as you could run power to the tail gate down one hinge strut and then back out along the other and paint over the copper tracks (solder a fine wire to the end to run into the rear door etc.)?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/copper-track-self-adhesive-5mm-x-50m-strip/291550589987

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks, just ordered some. Not decided on exactly what I’m going to do but that stuff looks useful. Toying with the idea of leaving them bare and somehow doing something funky, and yet that tape will make it look really pro.

Decisions, decisions…

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Those pictures above were bugging me, because the back is starting to come together but the half-done rear window makes it look well off. So I deviated from the plan and started work to finish the roof.

roof01.jpg

Looking herds better but getting those grooves or ridges or whatever they’re called finished is going to be a long slog :-/

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made a little progress on the roof this evening.

roof02.jpg

And then some filler and sanding.

roof03.jpg

Sanding is challenging. It’s a convex corner (a tiny one at that) along a concave plane. Not sure how I’m going to get it smooth just yet…

amellor03amellor03
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

your work is amazing i only wished you would have chosen a nicer body lol

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    amellor03 wrote:
    your work is amazing i only wished you would have chosen a nicer body lol

Thanks. I chose this one because I thought it would be easy. Just a bunch of rectangles. jimbo_wa got me thinking when he suggested zombie splatter. The next build will be a little different :silly:

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thursday was dinner with an old friend. Friday was work’s annual party. Yesterday was another friend’s 40’th. So not much progress, and I’ve been feeling the withdrawals. This sport is addictive :blink:

Anyways I got the pseudo-imitation rubber done around all the windoze.

roof04.jpg

Lots of cutting out panels to fit around the inside of the windows.

roof05.jpg

I think it’s all there.

roof06.jpg

And the end result. Still needs filler and more sanding, and those groove thingies, whatever they’re called, will get the attention they need after a coat of primer. This thing is really sturdy now. Was pretty bendy before I added the detail, so I’m pleased with the outcome. It’s bound to take a knock here and there.

roof07.jpg

Took a fair bit of effort but again, I’m pleased I did. One of the objectives I had was to make everything on the Bronco 3-dimensional – and the roof would’ve been an easy place to cheat.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.