This topic contains 206 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Jamie tee wrote:
    looks awesome

Jamie tee wrote:
    going by the body the detail work will be no sweat for you

Not so sure – feels like the more I get done, the longer things take :blink:

fullbody19.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Starting to get the body set for paint, so lots of little bits done without much visible change. Also made some progress on the roof, doors, magnets for both, and generally adjusting the body to make sure everything aligns.

fullbody20.jpg

Spent a bit of time on the wheel wells too. It’s a rough cut, but that’s pretty much the structure of it at the front –

FrontWells01.jpg

FrontWells02.jpg

69tony12
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

loving this build and the way you strengthened it, i notice on the from mount for the body posts you only have 1 piece of plastic going from 1 wing to the other where as on the back u have 2 (1 behind the posts and 1 in front) will you be adding another 1 on the front? as I can see that not being enough if you have a big drop etc.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Had two to start with but removed one because I wasn’t sure how that was going to work with the shock tower, and the spur gear and motor, which hadn’t been fitted when I made the mounts. That said, the front one is strong. Lots of reinforcement underneath. Will revisit once the ESC, receiver and dash are in, and the bonnet mounted. That will show what other strengthening options are possible.

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Top work mr B) cant wait to see some paint on this :popanddrink

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    grubbybuz wrote:
    Top work mr cant wait to see some paint on this

Thanks. Thought I’d wax the bonnet hinges tonight, forgetting that the bonnet sits right up against the %$£& windscreen, meaning complex lifting hinges, so… more delay :blink:

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Bonnet hinges are taking time. In the meantime, being the weekend, Dr. Jekyll makes way for Mr. Hyde.

mrhyde01.jpg

mrhyde02.jpg

Jamie tee
    Jamie tee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looks badass with them wheels and tyres 👿

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It does a bit, doesn’t it :-) The idea being a second look for this thing, thinking no doors or roof and the big 2.2s. The idea behind variable ride height and removable doors was to be able to change class and look.

jimbo_wa
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks top – you just need green Zombie slime splatter to make it meaner 👿

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    jimbo_wa wrote:
    Looks top – you just need green Zombie slime splatter to make it meaner

Thanks. Zombie splatter… Yeah. Maybe I should do something out of Resident Evil for my next build :cheer:

The last few days were about solving the problem of the bonnet closing right up against the windscreen. Normal hinges would stick at about 30º, so I made hinges that move forward while moving upward.

bonnethinges01.jpg

Just got them installed. Here they are in the lowered position:

bonnethinges02.jpg

And here raised:

bonnethinges03.jpg

Finally, from the top:

bonnethinges04.jpg

It’s a bit risky in that I’m not gluing in the bonnet until that’s been painted so while I think they work, I don’t know that they work :whistle: Now back to prep the body for paint.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Reached a milestone today – paint! Needs finishing, but liking how the aluminium look came out. And I found a very workable solution for those crazy headlights (which will go in when the TLU-01 arrives).

frontgrill01.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Some progress on the grill, but far from done. Light buckets are done though (they’ll be recessed, so what you see here isn’t quite the right look yet), and need indicators which I might do on Sunday. Forgot about the holes for the fog lights, so they’re in too now. And made the opening for the winch bigger.

frontgrill02.jpg

Tomorrow is going to be outdoors. Sanding.

fullbody21.jpg

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks fantastic ::thumpsup::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    mark wrote:
    Looks fantastic ::thumpsup::

Thanks :) Looks good from far, but notso good up close :blush: see below…

Got the whole body sanded down with 400 grit today (going to work up to 1200 grit before painting).

FullBody22.jpg

It brought out some details that need fixing, like this –

Sanding01.jpg

Also fixed the steering problem. The rod connecting servo to steering rod was about 10mm too long, so the truck would have amazing lock going right, but hardly go left at all. I read this and got it into my head that 4mm rods were the one true path to inner peace and salvation, so got some of that and some Traxxas rod ends. All went well until I discovered that I needed the non-standard Ascender rod end to connect the servo rod to the steering rod. Of course Ascender rod ends take 3mm rods, so I thought to hell with it, made the rod end opening bigger with my reamer, and screwed the rod in.

SteeringLink.jpg

Was a bit like sticking a marshmallow into a coin slot, but the steering works as it should now.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.