This topic contains 206 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 207 total)
  • Author

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep good call on tyres those are waaaaay too big. It’s coming along superb!!!

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Tyre issues are solved. As mentioned, the 1.55 RC4WD Rock Crushers are too small. The Ascender’s stock 1.9 Super Swampers are too big. The final choice was based on tyre size alone (tread pattern wouldn’t have been my first choice), but they’re a good fit. 1.9 RC4WD Mud Thrashers.

1.9 Vaterra Interco IROK Super Swampers – 4.5″ (115 mm) diameter

wheels04.jpg

1.9 RC4WD Mud Thrashers- 3.85″ (98 mm) diameter (some Dick Cepek wheels are on order)

wheels05.jpg

1.55 RC4WD Rock Crusher X/T – 3.7″ (93.9mm) diameter

wheels06.jpg

I managed to lower the body by another ~10mm thanks to the hard work my R&D department (Bill) put into their (his) RTR Ascender. Thanks man, the beer hasn’t been forgotten :-)

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Those look spot on. You should put this build on the scale builders guild forum too! ::thumpsup::

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

nice progress, good skills wish i knew how to do that!

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Largely finished both doors (outside only) today, so wanted to get an idea of how this looks with bonnet and grill in, held in place with tape for now.

fullbody15.jpg

fullbody16.jpg

fullbody17.jpg

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

i was thinking the wheels looked a bit wide then realised the arches arn’t on yet.. The scratch work on this is highly impressive, its gonna be a great build by the way things are going

Al..

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The arches aren’t that big. Also, the front track is slightly wider than the rear. Weirdly. So I will probably narrow the axles slightly. Going to get the arches on first though, and see.

Neil
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

These axles are very easy to narrow ;)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I know this to be true because I read your build thread in which you described how it’s done ::thumpsup::

Thank you :-)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Manned up and did the electronics. The reason I’ve been putting it off is the GCM Combo Kit that re-positions the motor and gearbox at the front. It comes sans instructions, so I got very German about working out how it all goes together. Anyways, it’s done. As you can see I spent far too much time on health & safety, all the while showing the utmost respect to the mug I was given by the mum-in-law.

electronics01.jpg

The GCM kit makes for a very tight fit with the Asecnder’s chassis when set to 278mm (shortest length). Here you can see just how close the spur/slipper clutch shaft gets to the steering servo:

electronics02.jpg

Speaking of the steering servo — the Ascender instructions instructed me to mount the steering servo underneath the mount brackets, which doesn’t work out. The servo horn catches on the steering rod and limits compression to half of what it’s meant to be.

electronics03.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of it screwed in from the bottom, but here’s full compression with it mounted from the top, which works as you’d expect.

electronics04.jpg

The other side effect of the GCM kit is that you can no longer use the cover for the spur gear – it doesn’t fit in there. I’m probably going to make something that at least part covers it. It’s worth noting that if I’d constructed my oown mounting plate I could’ve switched it around, i.e. motor towards the front, and spur gear facing the rear. Problem with that is again the wheelbase – the motor won’t fit because the servo is mounted crossways, as opposed to lengthways when the chassis is at full length.

electronics05.jpg

Here’s one I didn’t like – I had to cut a piece out of the chassis rail to make the spur gear clear. GCM’s photo of the mod is here.

electronics06.jpg

Finally, the reason for doing all this. I’m at the point where I have to think about the location of various bits, and how that affects the interior of the body. So here’s my plan for now – battery at the back over the axle, ESC on the side of the gearbox, and receiver on the front of the steering servo. Should probably get a BEC too, maybe.

electronics07.jpg

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good. Sorry if you already know this but once you’ve got all the bits in weight wise, and shell on. Get your ride height set how you want it and then check your front axle/wheels are sticking out from the shell equally.

I always alter the panard length at the above point as thats its neutral and most common position so you want it to look right, not when its extended or compressed.

I’d also try to move the ESC up to the servo area, a rig this nice needs inner fenders and that side mount position is gonna clash and be seen ;) ::thumpsup::

Top job though bud B)

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Going by the position of the spur gear fitting inner fenders could be a problem. I know mines take up a fair amount of space due to thier mounting method.. saying that inner fenders make a huge difference to the looks

Al..

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m making my own wheel wells, so it doesn’t affect me much. Bill’s point about moving the ESC to the front is a good one but even that probably won’t be strictly necessary. I think. I’ve done half of one at the back and it’s still coming together so we’ll know next week some time :-)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The story so far.

fullbody18.jpg

There’s an insane amount of detail work coming my way.

Jamie tee
    Jamie tee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looks awesome ::drool:: going by the body the detail work will be no sweat for you keep up the good work ::thumpsup:: :popanddrink

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.