This topic contains 206 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s time to get this finished. The GCM shock relocation kit is out because the surgery required on the body is just way too much work. Pity. Anyway, first step was a bath. There’s almost a years’ worth of dust on it, and some mud from the run on December 27th last year.

wash01.jpg

Then painted the bumpers. Ran out of paint so will complete on Friday, assuming the delivery works as advertised.

FrontBumper06.jpg

BackBumper04.jpg

Next up was a damage assessment. The left side of the tailgate needs some work – I’m leaving the other two scratches because they’re a reminder of it’s first run ::thumb::

Damage01.jpg

The windscreen damage is the only one I remember from its run. It was a hard hit, and even after the wash you can still see dirt in there. Tried prying the windshield out but looks like I did too good a job getting it in, so will have to try another approach.

Damage02.jpg

Then there’s a crack all along the right side starting at the door, which will get seen to.

Damage03.jpg

Added to that I still need to:

● Make a steering wheel
    ● Attach the dashboard with magnets
    ● Paint one of the seat bottoms
    ● Make rear view mirrors
    ● Get the remaining windows done
    ● Put on the GCM diff housing plate/cover (stupidly one bought one, the second will come when I place my CMAX order)
    ● Hook up the lights
    ● Hook up the winch

What’s crazy, looking at this now, is how horrified I am by some parts of the build, and how impressed I am with others. Guess I learned a thing or two since doing this one.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

My mouth is going to get me in a lot of :censored: soon. Told Ms. Protocol a couple nights’ work and it’d be done. Started with some CA glue and filler on the crack on the tailgate…

TailgateRepair01.jpg

…and then turned it over :holdinitin:

TailgateRepair02.jpg

So about 4 hours later the tailgate is yet again ready for paint. Had to really fight the urge not to just redo the entire thing – I want to keep the repairs similar to the build, so I did what I think I’d have done a year ago to get it ready.

TailgateRepair03.jpg

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow that makes such a difference but hides the art in it.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    mark wrote:
    Wow that makes such a difference but hides the art in it.

Thanks. Only… art? ::eek It was abomimabble ::yikes

Got the windows done, and glad it’s done. I dislike painting, but masking even more so.

Windows01.jpg

Windows02.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got the cracks filled, sanded back and painted.

repairs01.jpg

repairs02.jpg

repairs03.jpg

Windscreen itself still needs the same treatment the other windows got, which will take a little longer. Tailgate repairs also underway, and made a start on the rear-view mirrors.

TailgateRepair04.jpg

TailgateRepair05.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Still working on the tailgate, but got the rear-view mirrors done, mostly.

mirrors01.jpg

Color looks a bit off in this next photo. Will wait for daylight before I decide what to do about it.

mirrors02.jpg

mirrors03.jpg

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Rear view mirrors for seeing the sled before reversing into it :whistle: does look very good though ::thumb::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    mark wrote:
    Rear view mirrors for seeing the sled before reversing into it :whistle: does look very good though ::thumb::

Sled?!? What :censored: sled? ::rolleye :-) And thank you ;)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got the silver passenger seat trim done, and got the steering wheel done. Next up are the steering column and the shift paddles. Mine’s not an exact replica, but I think will do.

steeringwheel02.jpg

Haven’t bothered removing the double-sided tape I used for the crash test dummy in the drivers’ seat, because I’ve yet to decide on the driver. And I have no idea how I’m going to do the two-tone paint on the steering wheel…

steeringwheel01.jpg

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That steering wheel will more than pass. :jawdrop: I’d spray the sliver 1st and then the red, or paint the red by hand

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    mark wrote:
    That steering wheel will more than pass. :jawdrop: I’d spray the sliver 1st and then the red, or paint the red by hand

Thanks but the steering wheels’ too small ::cry See below. As for paint, yes, I thought of doing exactly as you suggest. Seems great minds think alike (and so do we :-))

Got the steering column done, and some paddles. Seems the steering wheels’ a bit too small at 34mm diameter though. Everything I found online also has a 34mm diameter. The plus is it should be easier to fit a driver. Down side is I have to make one if I want the size right.

steeringwheel03.jpg

Will paint this one for now and then see what the future holds in terms of steering wheels.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You could use a hilux steering wheel and cut the middle out. I have a spare if you want it. I’ve made them from solid core wire but it’s a pain to get them perfectly round.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    mark wrote:
    You could use a hilux steering wheel and cut the middle out. I have a spare if you want it. I’ve made them from solid core wire but it’s a pain to get them perfectly round.

Thanks, but they’ve the same outer diameter as the one I’m using (checked on my Hilux). Seems it’s kind of a standard. I’m going to leave it for now. If I do make a new one I’ll make a cirlce on styrene with a compass and round it out by hand.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The taigate is back on, for the last time I think.

TailgateRepair06.jpg

TailgateRepair07.jpg

And the dashboard won’t fall out anymore either. Magnet in the firewall, and another behind the dash.

Dashboard09.jpg

Dashboard10.jpg

The todo list is shrinking ::thumb::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Took me three days but I’ve got the job I’ve been dreading done – detailed the windshield. The first photo is the before shot. It didn’t look quite that bad but I photographed it in harsh light to show how rubbish it looked.

Windscreen08.jpg

Took me ages to finish the masking, but I got there eventually.

Windscreen09.jpg

The result was taken under the same light as the first, and whether I’m happy with it or not, it’s staying that way. Happily I’m happy with it.

Windscreen10.jpg

Getting closer.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.