Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Bobba Jobba Recon G6 Fodder

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m going to make a concerted effort to attend the Recon G6 this year.  With that in mind I thought I’d start another build before I’d finished what I was working on because why change the habit of a lifetime?

To that end and with little regard for common sense I though I’d build another hard bodied truck, indeed another Range Rover, because well I’ve already got the body.  In a passing flirtation with some semblance of consideration for the terrain at Bracken Rocks I decided to chop its bottom off (Park Life!)

So work has commenced on a Bobtail Range Rover.  I’ve removed a fair amount of material from the sides and roof and bonded it all back together with some Pipe Weld which has well, worked.

Chassis, appropriated from another build that I didn’t finish, namely the Comanche lookey likey, is an SCX10 II.  Axles will be SSD, transmission from GCM Racing.  The two later components will be taken from finished builds which will in turn subsequently become additional unfinished builds.

Here’s where I’m at.  The bumpers, which incidentally I bought for the not-a-Comanche, also fit this rather well.

rangeroverbotcatrangeroverbobtail

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I shall enjoy watching this take on the rocks. It’s hit and miss up at the G6. Sometimes the courses are relatively easy on the trucks and other times it’s horrendous.
    As for pinching bits I’m always always robbing Axial to pay Rc4wd.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers Mark, it’s certainly going to be scrapefest with a body this size.

The mounts for the trans arrived from GCM Racing so I’ve put that in along with a Holmes 27T 550 motor.

P1110573

I’m not really sure where to go with shocks at the moment, I currently have some Losi ones mounted and I have the rears at quite an angle so as not to intrude into the bed.  Not sure how it will perform with this configuration but I’ll change things if necessary.

P1110576

I’ve trimmed the wheel arches to allow for the larger tyre size, currently 1.9 Class 1 Hyrax.

P1110567

P1110570

I’ve added in the rear panels.

P1110578

I decided to go with a black roof, I only had gloss, didn’t like it.  So I’ve sanded it back and will try matt or satin next.

P1110562

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Davy CrockettDavy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I really like this and looking forward to seeing progress

Have you seen the 3D printed cantilever shock? 90 deg elbow so shock can lay flat along chassis. Think Pete has them on his Enduro

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I really like this and looking forward to seeing progress Have you seen the 3D printed cantilever shock? 90 deg elbow so shock can lay flat along chassis. Think Pete has them on his Enduro

I like this too, I nearly bobbed mine before I cut it in half 🙂

I do have cantilever suspension on my Enduro and once tuned correctly works nicely. The set-up I use is all 3d printed as I originally designed it for the coyote.

Another option would be to seperate the spring from the shock, and mount the spring vertically on the axle, leaving the the shock where it is now. This would resemble the 1:1 range rover set up.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thank you chaps.  I have had a look around at cantilever setups and I see that MrCommaD does spring cups for the Ar44 axles.  I’m trying to force myself to buy as little new stuff as possible for this build because, well funds.  But then I always end up breaking my own rules 😉

Ultimately with the rear windows obscured it wouldn’t be the end of the world if the shocks came through into the rear, especially given this is a custom build.  What I’ll do is get it up and running, try a few obstacles and see how it performs.  I have a feeling that with things the way they are at the moment there’s going to be too much torque twist.

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nice work there . Interestingly i am also working on a bobtail , i want his done for the G6 will be a class 2 truck .Will post a picture when i sort out a hosting site .

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nice work there . Interestingly i am also working on a bobtail , i want his done for the G6 will be a class 2 truck .Will post a picture when i sort out a hosting site .

Cheers, you can upload your pictures directly to the forum.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well I took advantage of the slightly milder weather to throw some paint on this.  Holed up with a gale whistling outside I sprayed some Audi Ibis white and and some satin black.  In the past I’ve mostly avoided white as it seems a bit boring when the body shell is white anyway but I thought for this build it might be appropriate to adorn it with some Retrocosm stickers so those who have no idea who I am (I avoid posting pictures of myself and family on social media) might easily spot me at the G6.

Slightly odd experience with the white, it seems runnier than other Halfords rattle cans and whilst I was applying the wet coat I noticed some dreaded drips forming, however they seem to have sorted themselves out.

Having said that, after 48hrs of curing in a well heated room I found that the paint was still very soft.  After applying the black a mark was left from the masking tape on the scuttle under the window frame.

Clearly I need to leave it a bit longer to harden off.  I decided to try these black wheels, they seem more appropriate.  Tyres are 1.55 Pitbull Growlers stretched onto 1.7 rims.  I have no idea how they perform but shall find out in due course.

P1110616P1110613P1110609P1110602P1110600P1110593P1110589

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks good in the white with the black roof. I’m the same for posting pics of me. People usually know me by the oddballs I build. Or the poor driving 😳

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks good in the white with the black roof. I’m the same for posting pics of me. People usually know me by the oddballs I build. Or the poor driving 😳

Cheers 😆

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Some more progress.  Painted the light lenses and added them along with some light guards.

P1110627

P1110624

Also started added some stickers.

P1110625

Got the dashboard and door cards in and have started creating a floor and trans tunnel.

P1110636

Rear arches and bed also assembled and sprayed.

P1110640

I also decided to try some 8mm hexes to increase the track a little.

P1110634P1110633P1110630

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.