Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Those axles look great on there. I thought they’d be too wide. Is that the SSD gearbox?

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Those axles look great on there. I thought they’d be too wide. Is that the SSD gearbox?

Cheers Mark,

It’s an RC4WD rather than the GCM. I got lucky (kind of) with the axles as they are only slightly wider than a stock SCX10-II axle so by using the right combination of hex hub the results were not to bad at all. It should definitley side hill better now, which was always the previous itterations main down fall.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made some more progress on this today,

machined a coupling to go between the gearbox and the transfer case.

20191123_133434

and fabbed up some front motor mounts,

20191123_133430

with the position of the motor and gearbox now locked in, I mounted the cab.

20191123_16341320191123_162610

20191123_16351320191123_163451

The plan for tomorrow is to get the rear tray mounted and then get back to the axles and make the panhard rods and get the springs and shocks mounted.

More soon.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So 2 and a half months later I am back to rebuilding Black Mog.

Got the rear tray mounted, I need to tidy up the rear mount, but am happy with where every thing sits.

next up was the rear axle/suspension.

First step was to trim off the upper four link mount, apart from a small tab that I have used as the lower panhard bar mount.

20200208_145135

I settled on using the King shocks that I had on the back of this previously made some shock hoops, brazed them to the chassis and bolted the shocks up to the axles and chassis. The final step was to turn down some 4mm bar bend it and put an m3 thread on each end to take some 1/16th traxxas rod ends, the lower rod end has a plain bush in it to stop the bar from flopping around.

the ride height is a little higher than I would like but it’s not up to full weight yet.

20200208_145147

20200208_145141

Pretty happy with the departure angle 🙂

Next the front end………….

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got a bit more done today.

Front axle is assembled and more or less mounted, just need to sort the panhard, then it’s going to be working out how to make it steer.

20200209_16122820200209_16121220200209_14583520200209_145829

More next weekend, thanks as always for taking an interest.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Good stuff Pete, I still can’t get used to that link setup, does it drive any differently than the more traditional set ups we use?

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Good stuff Pete, I still can’t get used to that link setup, does it drive any differently than the more traditional set ups we use?

I suspect it is a little less stable in some instances but generally it seems to be about the same as a 3 or 4 link with similar articulation.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made some steady progress on this during the week, both panhards are now installed. Changed out the front shocks and springs for some slightly longer ones, also made a small spacer for each shock to raise the front ride height (sorry no pictures)

Today I sorted out the front bumper/servo mount and made a start on the wiring.

20200215_135031

20200215_135019

Sorry for the blurry picture 🙁

20200215_163441

gave the motor a vinyl wrap in black to help them hide.

20200215_163453

Got the radio tray installed, so next should be installing the electrics, it might actually be a runner by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

More as it happens.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well Black Mog 2.0 is finally up and running, despite a couple of set backs last sunday (letting the magic smoke out of the ESC and servo).

Here’s a quick rough and ready video of it moving under it’s own power for the first time in over 2 years.

Since the quick test I have added some weight to the rear wheels as the back end appeared to have very little traction.

I still need to sort a couple of things out, like a new ESC as the current one is to old to take the new Castle software that works well with the non sensored brushless motor. I am also waiting on a new Heyok lighting controller as I can’t find the one that was originally installed in this and I need to install a new rear cross member and recovery point along with some rear lights. I would also like to drop the ride height a touch more.

I am hoping to take it on its first proper run next weekend with the North Wales and Cheshire Crawlers facebook group at a place called Moel Famau.

Thanks as ever for looking.

More soon.

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Off topic a bit, I apologies.. Just fighting to get to grips with face book, so I can’t get any news lf NW and C crawlers yet. Can you give a few details about weekend meet? I live about 3-4 miles from Moel Fammau, most likely on your route there, and the garage..Loggerheads Garage.. you will pass I owned for 20 odd years! If the weather is as expected your welcome for a cupper and warm up!

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Off topic a bit, I apologies.. Just fighting to get to grips with face book, so I can’t get any news lf NW and C crawlers yet. Can you give a few details about weekend meet? I live about 3-4 miles from Moel Fammau, most likely on your route there, and the garage..Loggerheads Garage.. you will pass I owned for 20 odd years! If the weather is as expected your welcome for a cupper and warm up!

Here are the details from the facebook page.

Stage 2 of the 2020 Scale Adventure Series is at Moel Famau , on Saturday 29th February  🙂 ……..

9.00 meet in the main Car Park – postcode is CH7 5PJ, I believe – and you will need £2.00 for all day parking….

Last year’s run was absolutely stunning  😉 – so we look forward to seeing you all there  🙂 👍 !

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Finally got the replacement esc and a Heyok light controller for this, this week so after a bit of tinkering thi version of Black Mog is ready for it’s maiden run (didn’t run it last weekend as the weather was not fun and the run was long)

20200308_155802

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yesterday, saw the resonably successful maiden run for this incarnation of the Black Mog.

I say reasonably successful as for the first time it actually performs how I had hoped it would when I first built it 6 years ago, I do need to add a touch more weight to the rear to keep it on the ground better on decents. However on the down side it developed a nasty clicking from the rear axle after about 45mins fairly hard use.

I stripped the axle today and the cause was obvious.

To modify the pinion for the torque tube, I had to drillout the pinion and then silver solder some 4mm rod into it as an extension. obviously this involves applying a fair of heat which will cause the hardend metal to go soft. As such I normally re-harden the gears once the mods are made, however it appears I forgot this time and the pinion wore out and started slipping damaging the ring gear as well.

Fortunately I had a spare ring and pinion, so the axle has been repaired, I also made a new steel torque tube to replace the original aluminium one, thus adding some extra weight lowdown.

I did get some video if it in action before it got poorly.

Thanks as ever for your interest.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.