This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by raven62 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I finally managed to get my little black Unimog 404 back on the work bench tonight with the intention of rebuilding it again.

For those who don’t know the Black Mog, I originally built it around 4 to 5 years ago based on a 1:1 rig I found whilst poking about in the interweb.

Version 1.0 looked like this, Mog 404 (42)

It was running modified G-made R1 axles and looked great, had reasonably acurate suspension and drive train and didn’t work all that well. I also didn’t really like the look of the axles under it as they are quite bulky.

So about a year later it evolved into version 1.5,

20160522_180841_zpsmgzlevue

This had custom axles made using parts from SDI and 3Racing and fabbed up by me I also added the light bar and changed the rear suspension to coilovers. This worked better (after ironing out some bugs) and the axles looked a lot more scale. I ran it for a couple of years with this set up but eventually the axles started to fall apart due to the mismatch of parts. So I retired the chassis and axles and put the body anbed to one side with the intention of rebuilding it using the experience I have gained since I first built it.

So far I have decided I am going to re-use the 3Racing portals from the Version 1.5 axles and mount them to some modified aluminium SCX-10 II casings, track width will be stock SCX-10ish. I will be going down the route of torque tube suspension again.

Originally I was intending to go for a 3D printed chassis but I need to modify the design I have, before that can happen, however as I scrapped the Orange Mog (Mogenstien) I have the steel chassis from that, which was built to match a 1:1 chassis. I will need to make new spring and shock mounts as I want to go back to fairly stock looking suspension.

Tonight I mocked up the body and bed on the chassis and was happy to find everything lines up nicely.

20180711_191811

Next up will be modifying the axles.

Thanks for taking an interest, More as it happens.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You scrapped that amazing orange  Mog😢

Am I right in saying the Maz is under new ownership?

ScaleAddict
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

I’ve followed closely the original build. lots of great studd there

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You scrapped that amazing orange Mog😢 Am I right in saying the Maz is under new ownership?

I still have the cab and straight 6, but the rest is gone, the axles and gearbox will be going under a new build once the chassis and body arrive from China. Yes the MAZ has gone to a new home and I believe is currently broken (ring and pinion in the front axle) and getting a respray in Olive Drab.

I’ve followed closely the original build. lots of great studd there

Cheers, I am glad you liked the original, I hope this rebuild can live upto it reputation.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve seen it in bits on Instagram, last pic showing it masked up and ready for new paint. I hope he knows what he has and doesn’t try breaking it for bits like your old 6×6.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve seen it in bits on Instagram, last pic showing it masked up and ready for new paint. I hope he knows what he has and doesn’t try breaking it for bits like your old 6×6.

He seems to understand what it is and went for it over the new Cross RC BC-8.

raven62
    raven62
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Nice to see the Evolution of a rig.
    Looking for more….

Regards

Ralf

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.