• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Pete Attryde.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I finally managed to get my little black Unimog 404 back on the work bench tonight with the intention of rebuilding it again.

For those who don’t know the Black Mog, I originally built it around 4 to 5 years ago based on a 1:1 rig I found whilst poking about in the interweb.

Version 1.0 looked like this, Mog 404 (42)

It was running modified G-made R1 axles and looked great, had reasonably acurate suspension and drive train and didn’t work all that well. I also didn’t really like the look of the axles under it as they are quite bulky.

So about a year later it evolved into version 1.5,

20160522_180841_zpsmgzlevue

This had custom axles made using parts from SDI and 3Racing and fabbed up by me I also added the light bar and changed the rear suspension to coilovers. This worked better (after ironing out some bugs) and the axles looked a lot more scale. I ran it for a couple of years with this set up but eventually the axles started to fall apart due to the mismatch of parts. So I retired the chassis and axles and put the body anbed to one side with the intention of rebuilding it using the experience I have gained since I first built it.

So far I have decided I am going to re-use the 3Racing portals from the Version 1.5 axles and mount them to some modified aluminium SCX-10 II casings, track width will be stock SCX-10ish. I will be going down the route of torque tube suspension again.

Originally I was intending to go for a 3D printed chassis but I need to modify the design I have, before that can happen, however as I scrapped the Orange Mog (Mogenstien) I have the steel chassis from that, which was built to match a 1:1 chassis. I will need to make new spring and shock mounts as I want to go back to fairly stock looking suspension.

Tonight I mocked up the body and bed on the chassis and was happy to find everything lines up nicely.

20180711_191811

Next up will be modifying the axles.

Thanks for taking an interest, More as it happens.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You scrapped that amazing orange  Mog😢

Am I right in saying the Maz is under new ownership?

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

I’ve followed closely the original build. lots of great studd there

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You scrapped that amazing orange Mog😢 Am I right in saying the Maz is under new ownership?

I still have the cab and straight 6, but the rest is gone, the axles and gearbox will be going under a new build once the chassis and body arrive from China. Yes the MAZ has gone to a new home and I believe is currently broken (ring and pinion in the front axle) and getting a respray in Olive Drab.

I’ve followed closely the original build. lots of great studd there

Cheers, I am glad you liked the original, I hope this rebuild can live upto it reputation.

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve seen it in bits on Instagram, last pic showing it masked up and ready for new paint. I hope he knows what he has and doesn’t try breaking it for bits like your old 6×6.

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve seen it in bits on Instagram, last pic showing it masked up and ready for new paint. I hope he knows what he has and doesn’t try breaking it for bits like your old 6×6.

He seems to understand what it is and went for it over the new Cross RC BC-8.

raven62raven62
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Nice to see the Evolution of a rig.
    Looking for more….

Regards

Ralf

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So after a slight delay of  9ish months, I have actually made progress on Black Mog 2.0,

The rear axle main tubes are done and the portal boxes are fitted, I just need to remake the halfshafts to mate with the SCX10-II diffs.

20190422_16295720190422_162945

The front tubes are also mostly made (need to modify a second C-hub)

20190422_163021

Both axles then need some brackets adding and the torque tubes making.

Both axles are essentially the same width as a stock SCX10-ii axle, but a fair bit heavier due to the tubes being made of brass.

I have settled on the components of the drive line, this is going to use some SCX10-II parts and will be based on how I did the MB jeep. As stated above I am intending to re purpose the chassis from the Orange Mog, so whilst I am waiting on parts I shall start stripping and cleaning it ready for the fabrication of new brackets.

More soon.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Very nice.Portals are always sexy 🙂 What housings are you using? And what tires, by the way?

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Very nice.Portals are always sexy 🙂 What housings are you using? And what tires, by the way?

Thanks. I do  have a thing for portal axle trucks.

Axle center housings are SSD Pro44’s

The portal housings are discontinued 3Racing ones.

The tires a RC4WD USSR 1.9 Scale Military Truck Tires

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Always liked this build. I’m sure it will turn out even better.Thanks for the info!

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I love the way you custom fab stuff Pete, whatever you need you just make it, brilliant.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So, 6 months later I have made another start on the Black Mog 2.0. I guess it should be 2.1 now 🙂

As you may be aware I purchased an Axial Capra a little while ago, and promptly took the portal axles off it and fit non portal axles instead.

The plan I had at the time was to put said axles under Black Mog, I was orginally intending to do this after I had finished the Range Rover Ute, however it’s too cold to paint, which I need to do a lot of for the UTE therefore the Ute is back on the shelf for the moment.

Today saw a bit of mock up and bit of simple fab work to see if the plan would work.

Stuck the wheels on the axles and poked them under the chassis and balanced the body back on.

20191118_14084420191118_140853

I also mocked up the motor/transmission, I won’t be using this motor it’s too big. I am aiming to use the same motor I used in Rango the Willys which is a 400 size brushless motor.

20191118_140923

finally today as it’s a Mog it has to have torque tubes. I got lucky here as the parts I made for the previous rear axle will work for this axle 🙂 . Made a couple of support arms and bolted it all together, just need to make a mount for the panhard.

20191118_140946

As I have a few days off I am hoping to get a load done this week.

Ta for looking,

CossackCossack
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Looking good there pete 👍🏻

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good there pete 👍🏻

Thank you sir.

Little more progress.

Motor has arrived,

20191121_131205

Made some mods to the gearbox and made the motor fit.

20191121_131210

Also made a good start on the front axle.

20191121_131147

More soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.