Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Bill’s Twin Hammers “Gecko”

This topic contains 213 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well that took about an hour and what a difference B)

Drakken
    Drakken
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Didn’t see there were two threads on the go, Cage work looks good. I believe T-4unner might be interested to see that !

steviedee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

i like the loook of them but then i like the look of the exo and got one and wasnt too impressed tbh. only time will tell

steviedee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

im sure bill could polish a turd lol

taff1969
    taff1969
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    steviedee wrote:
    im sure bill could polish a turd lol

😆 :silly: 😆

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Right one polished …..

Shells off
    file_zpscbb858f5.jpg

All electrics and transmission out
    file_zps2f586e03.jpg
    file_zpsed2ce980.jpg

New electrics in
    file_zps16261ab5.jpg
    file_zps4f927a33.jpg

And polished up
    file_zpsdd07938f.jpg

First fault, the gear change servo has packed up. Swap it round with the steering and you can guess the result. Disconnect it from transmission still no good. Re bound radio gear still no good. It is a cheapo thing so will pop to smc tomorrow and get something a bit more industrial.

Anyway having now run it with the rooster and 35t crawler motor its way better, the drag braking is plenty good, the two speeds are just what I would like them to be and you can really crawl along now as apposed to before all or nothing.
    Would be interesting to see one set up in crawler mode though with the original electrics. Steering is nice now too. Its also stopped cocking a wheel up on throttle now.

Overall now vedy vedy happy with it. Tomorrow rocks!!

Cossack
    Cossack
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

some set up tips here bill as if you did’nt allready see them :whistle:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/427350-twin-hammers-set-up-tips.html

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers mate seems the end stops arn’t set on the gear change and they burn out instantly

69tony12
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

so bill wheres the size comparison pics comparing it to a wraith then?

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Its tiny compared to a wraith bud. Right its first outing today with Sam and Karl’s Hammers too. Fantastic fun, really needs the front diff locking asap as that was its only real let down crawling wise. Am going to put a tiny amount of weight in the front wheels too.

Heres a short video of todays action. 1st part of the video its Sam 1, Me 2, Karl 3, then when we attack the next stage its me 1, sam has no roof on and karl together. Thanks to Mark for being the cameraman ;)

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

Nice, they are great fun. just need to work on my driving!

taff1969
    taff1969
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

B) video.looked a cold one

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

Bill,

You seem to know what your on about with the Twin Hammers … I really like the look of it, is it a capable model? What do you need to change to make it realiable etc …

I dont really have the budget for a wraith ..

I have no idea why it defaults to caps? Sorry im not shouting. ;-)

Scott.

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hi Scott the Caps is something that just happens, all comes out right in the end.

Only had this out once but for me not wanting a rock racer but a rock scaler here’s what I can tell you.

1, the stock esc and motor in out the box form are too fast for my liking, double tap to change forward to backwards really hard to use. No drag brake at all.
    2, the esc has a crawler mode but I never tried it but Sam or Karl or Dale might be able to shed light on this.
    3, its highly likely the gear change servo will go pop, so if you want the gear change an investment in a better one might be very wise.
    4, The steering servo works very well but is slow, so maybe a cheap Savox and metal servo horn. Neither essential but a nice upgrade.
    5, the front diff is open. For blasting around this is great but for crawling it ruins its potential. Many times it just span up when normally it would have rocked up and over what was in front. They do a diff locker but is out of stock at wheelspin currently.

Those are the concerns. The articulation is brilliant, tyres was going to swap out for baja claws but they grip brilliantly. I am going to weight the front wheels a little.

Wheelspin stock every part and are in stock on every part. I can’t see what’s going to brake first tbh as it doesn’t seem to have an obvious weak point chassis wise.

IMHO you cannot buy a better value rig/package for the money. Comes with car, Lipo, Lipo charger, Spektrum 3ch radio, tools, Transmitter battery.

Verdict buy it! They are that good.

Forgot to say I put 3 lipos through mine yesterday, I used it for scaling rocks for about 2 hours and my 4 year old son used it to blast around on the pebbles and everywhere and nothing came loose or broke!

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

Having at first just hatEd the Flipping thing with its out of box crappy esc and cheap noisy motor, the sloooow weak under powered servo and the what seemed impossible to get at components. I spat my dummy and slung it over the room in disgust, but now I have reconsidered having thrown the servo, esc and motor away and fitted a savox servo and a fusion 10.5 turn sensored brushless and worked out that the full cage is only held on with 8 screws and is easy to get off and on to give access to it. It’s now smooth as silk and super quick with loads of torque. Going out to give it a go today. I didn’t even try the esc in other modes as the double push trigger stuff just annoys me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 214 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.