Scale RC Forum General News & Discussion General Scale and Crawling Anyone got an interest in Micro scalers?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

I’m interested in getting a micro scaler but have not seen much written about them apart from the manufacturers blurb. Does anyone have any first hand experience of either of these two:

FTX Outback Mini 1:24

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-outback-mini-1-24-trail-ready-to-run-black/rc-car-products/425056

ECX Barrage 1:24

https://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/p/ECX-Barrage-Scaler-4WD-1-24-RTR-Red.htm?SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=ECX00017T1

There’s only £20 between them – I prefer the look of the FTX but if the ECX is much better quality for the extra £20 I would be swayed..

I’m only looking to run it around the house and at work so not expecting ground breaking performance, but would like to get the best bang for my buck as they say.

Any help appreciated, cheers

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90    Element Enduro D90

Al murray
        • Scale Off Road Pro
        • ★★★★★★

must say they have piqued my interest too, theres a few kits out there with basically everything except transmitter, receiver and batterys.. Im still pretty clueless about them and the small parts size makes me wary, eyesight aint what it used to be

Al..

Tim_
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

I have a Losi micro crawler but never managed to get many upgrades for it. I should probably get it going again.

Grasshopper
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

must say they have piqued my interest too, theres a few kits out there with basically everything except transmitter, receiver and batterys.. Im still pretty clueless about them and the small parts size makes me wary, eyesight aint what it used to be Al..

Yeah I agree, that’s what puts me off the Orlandoo kits – they look far too fiddly. Both the ones above are RTR which is a route I would never go down with the 1/10 – 1/8 scale trucks as I love a good build!

I have a Losi micro crawler but never managed to get many upgrades for it. I should probably get it going again.

They look like they’ve discontinued those – I’m gutted as the little Losi scale truck looked really cool too.

I think I’ll go down the FTX route as I’ve ordered a lot off Modelsport and they’ve always been really good to deal with.

Cheers guys

EDIT: I’ve found a couple of unfavourable reviews of the FTX on another forum, apparently it is all or nothing on the throttle and the steering servo is very weak.. I can’t find a single written review or comment about the ECX though, so it is an unknown quantity. Hmmmm unsure now…

Davy Crockett
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

I got the FTX Mini last week to tinker about with at home. Its……’OK’.

Throttle curve is less than good, crawls steady and stops at the obstacle, more throttle and jumps over it…speed reduces when you turn the steering 😀 😀

Movement and articulation is quite good though and looks good bobbing over the firewood ‘course’

I am planning to replace ESC & RX and use it with a DX3 which hopefully will help, but for £50 I’m not expecting it out perform a SCX10!

There is also this doing the rounds

WPL C14 Hilux

Grasshopper
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

That’s brill, cheers Mr C! Yeah, I wasn’t expecting anything ground breaking for the money but you want it to actually work and get some enjoyment out of it. Maybe the reviews I read were expecting too much, the FTX sounds worth a punt now. It looks cool in the pics so as long as it actually works I’ll go for it..

The Hilux on that link looked amazing and I almost ordered straight away, as you can’t really go wrong for £30, but I wouldn’t have a clue what electrics and motor to get as I have zero knowledge of these micro RC’s. Plus the quality of parts looks… low. But I guess, what do you expect for £30! It may be worth that just as a static model..

Cheers for the advice

Davy Crockett
                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                  • ★★★★★★

Just found this on eBay so no need to build!

linky

Finger hovering on buy it now! :O

Grasshopper
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

Oops, may have just bought two!

I ordered the kit from your original link this morning and just ordered the Ebay one too in a moment of madness! I’ll prob research and upgrade one for myself and then give the full RTR one to a friend for his birthday.

Cheers for the linky’s!

Davy Crockett
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

Ive had a cheeky beer and watched a couple of YouTube videos and couldn’t resist any longer…. like you said, nice static model at worst 😀

Seen a vid with dual motor mod, I had a gelande 1/18 d90 which had dual motors and difference was over stock was great.

Once the little hilux arrives I’ll see if motors are similar and see if same mod can be done and keep you posted.

Keep us posted on your progress pal 🙂

Sysop
                      Retrocosm
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Keeps us updated on how you can get on with these chaps, I didn’t even know such things were available.  It will be interesting to see how they perform.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Grasshopper
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★

I watched a few YouTube vids on these too, search for WPL Hilux. It’s toy-grade chinese junk but has a great body and people have been upgrading it cheaply with some success..

After I bought mine I saw there are ones on ebay from £13 with free shipping. Oh well..

Sysop
                          Retrocosm
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

I had a look Gav and those are double listings with a 1/18 scale blue car that is at the £13 mark, you can’t select the WPL Hilux on those listings as it’s out of stock but my guess is the best price is around the £27-28 mark.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Grasshopper
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

Ah, nice one Charlie, I didn’t look too hard at the listings. Good to know, £30 is still cheap to be fair

As I’m getting the kit and the RTR I’ll do a little write up on any differences, I’ve heard the tyres, driveline and possibly servo are different between them.

I think everyone should get one for the price and we could personalise/upgrade them and compare for a laugh! Even start a toy-grade class 😀

Grasshopper
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

Couldn’t resist and bought an FTX mini for some indoor fun

Unfortunately though it turned up (in a sealed box) but inside looked like it had already been opened – the cable tie holding the truck down had been cut and half the rear driveshaft was loose in the box with a little bit of damage to it..

I’m waiting on a reply from Modelsport – they’ve been great in the past and I’ve never had a problem before.

Davy Crockett
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★

Gav, I’m pretty sure they’ll sort it for you, had good service from modelsport in the past.

Better than the service from the eBay seller I purchased the WPL hilux from!

Bought it as the item was uk (Liverpool), tracking info showed it 3 days later in Hayes awaiting collection and I’m Sheffield! Yodel tracking ref on eBay but not found on yodel website… no response from seller, lot of feedback says he’s in china 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.