Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Another Range Rover not going to be so Classic.

• This topic has 58 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Retrocosm.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Pete
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

Sooo, I too have bought a JScale 3 door Range Rover Classic body. I was originally going to hack it up and build a bobtailed winch challenge type rig, but the more I looked at the shell the more I realised that what I actually wanted to make with it was a replica of a early 1970’s bone stock Range Rover. I am hoping to design and print a period correct interior and shall also be painting it in a suitable nasty period correct colour such as Harvest gold or Bahama Gold.

The intention is to make a fairly accurate chassis from steel and modify some scx-10 II axles to suit including making the correct hockey stick front suspension like I did on my old D90/D100 trayback.

I already have the wheels here sourced from Shapeways and today whilst tinkering in the shed I managed to get some silver paint on them. I also have a set of mud plugger tires to go on these once the paint is dry.

20181125_145039

I am expecting progress to be slow as I still have far to many other things going on to be able to get much time in the shed, but I shall update this as and when I get the chance.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
      Retrocosm
        • Scale Off Road Pro
        • ★★★★★★

Wheels look excellent, can’t wait to see your custom chassis Pete. What’s the hockey stick suspension to which you refer?

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Pete
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

Wheels look excellent, can’t wait to see your custom chassis Pete. What’s the hockey stick suspension to which you refer?

The front axle is held in place by 2 radius arms shaped a little like a hockey stick.

Front_Susp-Radius_Arm

Sysop
          Retrocosm
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

Ah I see, thanks Pete, so they sort hook under the axle presumably. I’m going to learn a lot about Range Rovers with all these builds imminent!

Apparently mine was despatched this morning.

Pete
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

Ah I see, thanks Pete, so they sort hook under the axle presumably. I’m going to learn a lot about Range Rovers with all these builds imminent! Apparently mine was despatched this morning.

Yep,

not the best picture but,

2012-01-04_215253_sss

It appears mine has also been dispatched. 🙂

Sysop
              Retrocosm
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

Thanks Pete, I also didn’t realise that the front shocks were inside the springs.

Pete
                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                  • ★★★★★★

Thanks Pete, I also didn’t realise that the front shocks were inside the springs.

Your welcome 🙂

another fun fact is that on the early Range Rovers the rear shocks face in opposite directions i.e one forward and one rear ward as can just about been seen in this picture.

1970 Range Rover Chassis

I too also have a box of plastic parts 🙂

20181129_171021

Sysop
                  Retrocosm
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

I remember doing that on my Blazer, they also had rear shocks at opposing angles. I fear my build may not start in earnest until the new year and who knows when the weather will allow us to spray some paint!

Sysop
                    Retrocosm
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

Another question Pete, are the rear axles narrower than the fronts or is it just the way the body sits that makes it look as though they are?

Pete
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Another question Pete, are the rear axles narrower than the fronts or is it just the way the body sits that makes it look as though they are?

Both axles have the same track width on the 1:1. So it must be the body line that makes the rear axle look narrower.

Today i briefly had a play around with an idea I had for making the front axle, thanks to Chris W for the scrap axle casing so I could try this.

Doesn’t look much but is probably the trickiest bit of building the front axle the way I want, and yes I do have new casing on it’s way so I can chop the ends off and throw the rest away 🙂

20181201_153133

Sysop
                        Retrocosm
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★

I’m so looking forward to seeing your custom axles come together, looking good so far. I’m a bit slow on the take up, I’ve only just worked out that the radius arms link in two places on the axle as there’s no upper link to stop axle rotation. 😳

Pete
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

I haven’t made much progress on the mechanical side of this build so far, but have been working on some parts for it.

With the 3D printable parts Davy found on thingiverse I have set about making some seats, a dash and a centre console.

I took the original files and started by rounding some of the corners and edges (the original models are very angular). I then printed a Pair of seats (White PLA @ 0.15mm layer height and a 0.25mm diameter nozzle) resulting in these,

20190310_104218

I ended up printing the seat belt stalks separately, as I snapped the ones printed with the seats off whilst removing support material.

I am reasonably happy with the results but I am going to have a go at some more smoothing of the 3D model(I may use this ones after softening some more edges with some sanding).

I also took the dash and centre console and tidied them up a bit and made them right hand drive. I have yet to print these, so here is a 3d rendering.

Repaired dash

Centre console

I hope with the lighter evenings I will soon be able to make some progress on the mechanical side of things, Oh and the direction of the build has changed again 😉 and there will be a significant amount of cutting the body involved as I try to make a unique build.

More soon I hope,

Davy Crockett
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

Glad the files were of use Pete, took me a while to find what I needed as all the names are in French!

The seat look like they’ve printed well. I hope to print the dash this week when I can find the time

What software are you using to edit and tidy the 3D files please??

Pete
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

Glad the files were of use Pete, took me a while to find what I needed as all the names are in French! The seat look like they’ve printed well. I hope to print the dash this week when I can find the time What software are you using to edit and tidy the 3D files please??

Cheers, I simplified the model quite a bit, replaced the seat runners etc with a solid rectangle, which I think helped.

The original dash file contains a lot of details that will be hard to print, plus the radio front has deformed at some point. I have deleted or simplified a fair bit of  the detail, to make it print easier. However the dash will need some modification to actually fit in the JSScale shell, I am in the process of making these mods and once I have made sure they print I will stick the files on my pinshape page for free download.

I use Sketchup2017, there are newer versions but they are web based and I prefer having it installed on my PC. There are a couple of handy extensions (solid inspector2 and clean up) that can take a lot of the hard work out of fixing files before slicing them.

Davy Crockett
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★

I’ll be following progress with much interest and soaking up the 3d printing. Although I’ve printed a fair amount of files, I’m very much a beginner. I do however use like you, SketchUp 2017 rather than the web based version, for work as its very good for putting proposed 3d modelled buildings into an existing photo.

I’ve only just started looking into editing the STL files and today did my 1st edit and export… Currently printing

Thanks for the help and look forward to your build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.