Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Another Range Rover Classic.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Sooo, I too have bought a JScale 3 door Range Rover Classic body. I was originally going to hack it up and build a bobtailed winch challenge type rig, but the more I looked at the shell the more I realised that what I actually wanted to make with it was a replica of a early 1970’s bone stock Range Rover. I am hoping to design and print a period correct interior and shall also be painting it in a suitable nasty period correct colour such as Harvest gold or Bahama Gold.

The intention is to make a fairly accurate chassis from steel and modify some scx-10 II axles to suit including making the correct hockey stick front suspension like I did on my old D90/D100 trayback.

I already have the wheels here sourced from Shapeways and today whilst tinkering in the shed I managed to get some silver paint on them. I also have a set of mud plugger tires to go on these once the paint is dry.

20181125_145039

I am expecting progress to be slow as I still have far to many other things going on to be able to get much time in the shed, but I shall update this as and when I get the chance.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wheels look excellent, can’t wait to see your custom chassis Pete. What’s the hockey stick suspension to which you refer?

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wheels look excellent, can’t wait to see your custom chassis Pete. What’s the hockey stick suspension to which you refer?

The front axle is held in place by 2 radius arms shaped a little like a hockey stick.

Front_Susp-Radius_Arm

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah I see, thanks Pete, so they sort hook under the axle presumably. I’m going to learn a lot about Range Rovers with all these builds imminent!

Apparently mine was despatched this morning.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah I see, thanks Pete, so they sort hook under the axle presumably. I’m going to learn a lot about Range Rovers with all these builds imminent! Apparently mine was despatched this morning.

Yep,

not the best picture but,

2012-01-04_215253_sss

It appears mine has also been dispatched. 🙂

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Pete, I also didn’t realise that the front shocks were inside the springs.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Pete, I also didn’t realise that the front shocks were inside the springs.

Your welcome 🙂

another fun fact is that on the early Range Rovers the rear shocks face in opposite directions i.e one forward and one rear ward as can just about been seen in this picture.

1970 Range Rover Chassis

I too also have a box of plastic parts 🙂

20181129_171021

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I remember doing that on my Blazer, they also had rear shocks at opposing angles. I fear my build may not start in earnest until the new year and who knows when the weather will allow us to spray some paint!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Another question Pete, are the rear axles narrower than the fronts or is it just the way the body sits that makes it look as though they are?

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Another question Pete, are the rear axles narrower than the fronts or is it just the way the body sits that makes it look as though they are?

Both axles have the same track width on the 1:1. So it must be the body line that makes the rear axle look narrower.

Today i briefly had a play around with an idea I had for making the front axle, thanks to Chris W for the scrap axle casing so I could try this.

Doesn’t look much but is probably the trickiest bit of building the front axle the way I want, and yes I do have new casing on it’s way so I can chop the ends off and throw the rest away 🙂

20181201_153133

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m so looking forward to seeing your custom axles come together, looking good so far. I’m a bit slow on the take up, I’ve only just worked out that the radius arms link in two places on the axle as there’s no upper link to stop axle rotation. 😳

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.