Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Another Range Rover Classic

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Davy CrockettDavy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve had this build sat for a few weeks, in reality 4 months! Many things have happened preventing progress, biggest losing my brother in law and not had much inspiration.

Wasn’t sure the Ascender was the right chassis under the Rangey so will be trying an SCX10

Using the plastic body mounts which come with the body, there’s a lot of flex/sway so intentions are to extend the chassis rails to mount the body behind the front and rear bumpers somehow????

Hoping to grab a couple of hours Friday after work in the man cave with a glass or 2 and maybe find a light bulb moment!

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Sorry to hear about your brother in law.

I always find that taking a step back and having a short break from a build and then returning to it is where the good ideas come from. 👍

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Also sorry to hear about your brother in law.  I know how you feel regarding the inspiration for building, I’m struggling to find any at the moment, not to mention lack of funds.

I also began the Range Rover with such enthusiasm but I can’t seem to capture that at the moment.  I’m sure I’ll get back to it at some point, I think I’ll attack it with some weathering and abuse and see if that fires the creative juices.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for your kind words

Step back and having a pause can certainly help inspiration, I’ve got a mock up mount done and going to see what I can sort in the man cave tomorrow night….. A-Team style (for those old enough to remember!!!)

I’ve borrowed the shocks of my Ascender and they seem to be ‘tuneable’ enough to hold the body up and still be soft for running

Can anyone recommend a shock that would suit the scx10/range rover that doesn’t break the bank???

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Friday night settled in the man cave, music and a glass….. Found a few bits and some inspiration

SCX10 chassis built up, made some links etc.. swapped tyres for RC4WD dirt grabbers and made rear chassis mount.

Not pretty but functional and not visible

Body mounted, just needs ride height tweaking?

Struggled to find the CChand decals anywhere so took a punt on eBay ‘copies?’

I know plate is wrong colour for letter but homage to Ms Crockett

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That looks great, the dirt grabbers are nice and thin so they tuck under the arches nicely and the ride height looks fairly scale, maybe a couple of mm off but it doesn’t look all jacked up like some of the TRX4 Rangies I’ve seen.

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Great progress, that’s looking sweet.  Keep at it, you’re inspiring me to get mine out again.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated!!

Agree that couple of mm lower would be about right, pleased too with the dirt grabbers being narrower

I haven’t checked but i’d say the SCX10 axles are a touch narrower than the Ascenders….. 1st job when I get home!!!

Have to say that I really enjoyed doing this, definitely rekindled the flame and stirred me on to keep building!

Thanks all for the support and comments 😀

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I was thinking about mounting the battery in the boot, maybe in a box or under ‘something’ but tinkered about Friday night and cobbled up a dummy mount for under the bonnet

I will be drawing up and 3D printing this week.

Eagle-eyed viewers may notice the shocks have been replaced with Trackstar adjustable, bit stiffer and seem to hold the bodyweight better

1977bnc1977bnc
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good pal, just about to start up a thread for mine!

Instagram @scalerc77

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Not happy with the Ascender shocks as they were way too soft, replaced with some cheapy Trackstar ones I had and sits much better. I think the back still sits a little low so will tweak when I get chance.

Fitted LEDs and wiring all neatly tucked in with strips of duck tape. Front lights are period ‘warm white’ although look yellow

Browsing ebay I found some Chinese metal Rostyle beadlock rims for £35 for 4, so took a punt. Bit of a gamble and will probably be naff but lets see……

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So my 2 far east purchases arrived yesterday, interior and rostyle wheels.

As Charlie said in his build the floor is thin and flimsy but everything all good for me, not looking to do a 100% replica but want to add an interior as not done one before

Had an hour after work last night and set to it, painted seats and added foam as carpet (not sure this will stay)

2nd package was the wheels….

Nicely finished brushed aluminium, 12mm hex and RC4WD type adapters – red centre caps are going to be ‘altered’!!

I’ve attempted to fit the tyres but struggled to add the rear beadlock, the tyre ‘flange’ doesn’t slot between the inner collar and the wheel itself, allowing the rear beadlock to clamp. Unless I’m missing something (which is highly likely!) I guess that the inner sleeve is too wide??

Tyres fitted without inner….

Worst case scenario is I glue tyres, I’ll be honest for £35 for 4 wheels I can live with that

Comments and thoughts welcomed as ever

GeoffGeoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This may help ?

Z-S0846-1

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rc4wd-zs0846-1-9-proline-tire-compatible-internal-beadlock-rings-4-/rc-car-products/401518

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good chap.  Some beadlocks are a right pain, will the bead not locate at all?

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks fellas

Outer bead will locate but absolutely no chance of fitting the ring on the inside, I’ll post a pic tomorrow night

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.