Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Another Hilux. A Bobbed Comp Truck.

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Starscream 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Since developing a thing for Hiluxes i once again embark on a Hilux build. I’ve put the four door build on hold so i can get this one done. This will be a TF2 based build, but with the GCM Scale Transmission. I want to bob the bed as much as possible and also try a couple of other ideas i have floating around. Otherwise it’ll just be another comp worthy Hilux. The plan originally was to get this ready for the Scale Nationals in October, but i don’t think it’ll be done by then…

So, i have had a spare TF2 chassis for a while, so began constructing that.

And with the GCM Transmission installed. I still need to fabricate the mount for the transfer case.

Chino’d the springs.

And last night began making this little device.

More coming soon…

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I too find myself in a bit of a Hilux groove at the moment, not only do they look good but from a competition point of view, once bobbed they’re an excellent size, I look forward to seeing yours develop.

Is the ‘little device’ an anti-wrap one?

raven62
    raven62
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Hi,

what is the meaning of „bobbed“ in this case? Ican‘t find any useful translation .

Regards

Ralf

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Bobbed means a shortened rear bed.  A portion is typically removed from behind the rear wheel arch and then the tailgate re-attached, reducing the amount of overhang.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Here’s one I bobbed earlier:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

All day today I’ve been thinking about how to finish the anti wrap bar. So, this evening I got a little time in the garage and set about sawing and filing.

This is the beginning.

Getting the flux ready.

And here’s the axle mount.

And the completed bar.

And installed.

I’ve tried to keep the bar as high as possible so that it doesn’t get in the way of any rocks.

More coming soon…

raven62
    raven62
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Very nice metalwork.

Regards

Ralf

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

A third awesome Hilux in the making. I can’t wait to see what crazy (but also amazingly fitting) colour you bring to the table this time..

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Very nice metalwork.

Thanks very much.

A third awesome Hilux in the making. I can’t wait to see what crazy (but also amazingly fitting) colour you bring to the table this time..

Well, it’s funny you should mention the colour, because I’m actually thinking this time to go with something a little more ‘traditional’ looking. Maybe an off white or light brown… And, if I can work out what I’m doing and get some practice in I may even do a little bit of weathering on it. Not done it before, and afraid of going to far and making it look crap.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The last couple of nights I’ve been working on the transfer case mount. And, here it is. It looks simple but it took more than a little head scratching to get it perfect.

That’s all the metal work done for now. Next up will probably be bobbing the bed.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Beautiful clean work as always.

I’m no weathering expert at all but good reference photos are a must – there are places on each truck that rust or wear away and places that never do, if you get the locations right then that’s over half the battle.

I got some rust solution stuff for model railways, it’s quite tricky to use (the iron filings all bunch up together and never where you actually want them too!) but the results are brilliant. Unfortunately with all my Defenders I don’t get a chance to use it much!

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Another super build underway, well done.

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Great work as always, your transfer case mount is so nicely done.  I’m not happy with the one supplied for the C-Max, the bevel in it seriously restricts your choice of drive shafts as only those with the smallest diameter cups fit.

ScaleAddict
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Very clean work

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Beautiful clean work as always. I’m no weathering expert at all but good reference photos are a must – there are places on each truck that rust or wear away and places that never do, if you get the locations right then that’s over half the battle. I got some rust solution stuff for model railways, it’s quite tricky to use (the iron filings all bunch up together and never where you actually want them too!) but the results are brilliant. Unfortunately with all my Defenders I don’t get a chance to use it much!

Thanks for the weathering tips. I’m keen to give it a try on this build… maybe.

Another super build underway, well done.

Thanks Geoff.

Great work as always, your transfer case mount is so nicely done. I’m not happy with the one supplied for the C-Max, the bevel in it seriously restricts your choice of drive shafts as only those with the smallest diameter cups fit.

Funny you should say that. I did think it looked like it would hinder drive shaft choice.

Very clean work

Thanks very much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.