This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Building this for a build-off on the Scale Builders Guild. Arguably the dumbest idea I ever had ::doh::

Started with the front fenders back in February.

SpaceFrame01.jpg

SpaceFrame08.jpg

F5CoeFenders01.jpg

Grill02.jpg

Then made the cab and a hood.

Cab02.jpg

Cab08.jpg

Needed an engine.

StyreneFlatheadV805.jpg

StyreneFlatheadV808.jpg

FordFlatheadV8_05.jpg

FordFlatheadV8_06.jpg

Dashboard and bench seat.

Dashboard07.jpg

Dashboard10.jpg

Dashboard11.jpg

BenchSeat02.jpg

And a bed with rear fenders.

RearFenders03.jpg

BenchSeat03.jpg

It’s sitting on a CMAX chassis from GCM Racing.

And that’s where it’s at. About to bin the cab and start over with it, because I messed up on the doors ::doh::

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

How’d the doors go wrong? Couldn’t you add or remove some material to shape it? Far and above the other entries ::cool

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Not sure it’s all that aparent in this picture, but the hinges on the cab are too far recessed/towards the inside of the cab. Door is also too far back, and the part where the hinges connect with the cab is weak and flimsy – adding will just turn it into a gooey mess. Besides, I rushed the cab after spending so much time on the front fenders, so I need to just knuckle down and do a proper job.

Doors04.jpg

And yes, I think it’s a little more realistic than most scratch builds. Which kindof puts it into a space that doesn’t lend itself to driving too harshly.

It also proves the point that “True Scale” at the Nationals isn’t exactly realistic :hmmm: …but I’m probably staring to sound like a broken record on that, so not another word!

::cool

4WheelRC
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

“The detail is strong with this one” Loving the engine & dashboard ;popcorn;

Pleeeease don’t run this at the Nats – It’ll get wrecked and that’d be such a shame.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve built a lot of hot rod models and messed around with lots of vintage cars. The door looks right along with positioning. Hinges in brass make them too small and if I’d hinged that 40’s body I gave away I would’ve done it in styrene as in real life they’re quite chunky. If you build a new cab, rat rod it or have a moment with me :-)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    4WheelRC wrote:
    “The detail is strong with this one” Loving the engine & dashboard ;popcorn;

Pleeeease don’t run this at the Nats – It’ll get wrecked and that’d be such a shame.

Thanks ::thumb:: And nope, definitely NOT running this at the Nats. Was more of a rant about the fact that I can’t run it at the Nats.

mark wrote:
    I’ve built a lot of hot rod models and messed around with lots of vintage cars. The door looks right along with positioning. Hinges in brass make them too small and if I’d hinged that 40’s body I gave away I would’ve done it in styrene as in real life they’re quite chunky. If you build a new cab, rat rod it or have a moment with me :-)

Trust me it’s not right ::rolleye Will bring it to Hatfield, you’ll understand when you see it ;)

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

super work, looks good . ::thumb:: ;popcorn;

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

amellor03
    amellor03
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Pure jealousy here! I wanted that body for a rat tod

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Geoff wrote:
    super work, looks good . ::thumb:: ;popcorn;

Thank you ::thumb::

amellor03 wrote:
    Pure jealousy here! I wanted that body for a rat tod

There are exactly 281 individually cut and shaped pieces of styrene in the front fenders alone (not counting the skin). Each back fender has just over 100 pieces in it. Didn’t count the cab. It’s by far the most complex thing I’ve built.

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

superb.. where do you get the time!!! ::wow

The dash alone is a work of art, never mind all those complex curves on the body..

Love the Flathead too.. pure style

Al..

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

What a build! ;popcorn;

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Al murray wrote:
    superb.. where do you get the time!!! ::wow

The dash alone is a work of art, never mind all those complex curves on the body..

Love the Flathead too.. pure style

Al..

Funny how the most interesting parts of the build are those that are covered up and hardly ever seen outside build threads :hmmm: And, thank you ::thumb::

Tim_ wrote:
    What a build! ;popcorn;

Thanks ;-)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.