Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1983 Camel Trophy – Land Rover Series III

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Fourth ProtocolFourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wanted to start on the back/rear/behind and realised I had it all wrong all along so trimmed some off the back panel a bit, and made that… I’m calling it bumper.

Painted and on the truck. You’ll notice some weirdness on the right where the bumper meets the door. That was caused by a clamp, and I actually like it. I don’t have the heart to spend weeks on a build only to make it look old and beaten up, but this I’m ok with. Aesthetically pleasing serendipidious incidentalism.

It and the door are held in with magnets so that I can get at the battery.

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s about the details now, and repairing some of the paint that peeled off under masking tape. First up, made the fuel filler cap, only the cap’s cap is still missing.

In the photo above you can also see how the masking tape peeled some of the Camel Yellow and primer off with it. This isn’t the only incident. That’s a first for me. The only thing I’m doing different is not using Tamiya paint so I’m going with the paint is cr*p even though the colour is good.

Anyways next up the windshield hinges, and the hinges on the vents. Very unexciting but very neccessary.

The windscreen hinges will be completed (the windscreen part is still missing) once the Camel Yellow is on, because they’re alloominum. The 0.8mm (about 0.031496 inches, 800µm or 0.02 paperclips long) rivets arrived at last and they went into the 0.8mm holes I drilled into the headlight surround a lot easier than expected.

If anyone needs rivets then this is a really good source from the UK – https://www.zinge.co.uk/search?q=rivet-

Finally the hood hinges. They look super flimsy given that they hold the weight of the hood as well as a spare but hey, it’s a Land Rover.

Next up are door hinges, and then the final round of paint.

• Topics 6
    • Replies 368
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

nice progress..

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 368
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Sorry for the short reply, not deserved for the awesome work you’re putting in it. It’s very “believable”. LRs are basically boxes,easy to look similar but at the same time hard to pull off because often there’s something off. You’re taking your time and it shows. love the last pic on the previous page,seems sagging on it’s own weight

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Sorry for the short reply, not deserved for the awesome work you’re putting in it. It’s very “believable”. LRs are basically boxes,easy to look similar but at the same time hard to pull off because often there’s something off. You’re taking your time and it shows. love the last pic on the previous page,seems sagging on it’s own weight

Thank you  😃 And yes, you’re right. RC Land Rovers aren’t helped much by Joe Average’s desire to make them look lifted with small tyres… Anyway. Also good spot man, the back is indeed sagging under the weight of the body.  It’s sitting on an MST CFX with soft stock springs. I’m really torn between leaving it like it is or making it right. Undecided.

What I will do is convert the coils to leafs. There’s a kit for that now (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3562925).

Pretty much done with the detail that had to get done before the final round of paint. Mostly that was hinges.

And those weird things on the back door that are exclusively responsible for me not making opening and closing doors on this one. Good god man what were they thinking when they designed these… things?!?

Anyways I masked the thing up, again, and then shot some primer at places that hadn’t any or where the Sandglow came off with the masking tape.

Oh and –

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I swear by all that is unholy including cold coffee, Beelzebub, peanut butter and Google if I never see another transfer decal it will be too soon.

In other news the front only needs lights now 😉

• Topics 6
    • Replies 368
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I think the “sagged” look realistic . That kit looks pratic but a bit to beefy for this small truck

I did these mounts some time ago for a YJ on CMX axles

What do you think? steel plates and the u-bolts are bent bicycle spokes, tapped to M2

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That looks pretty decent!! And I suspect rather strongly that I’m going to steal your idea and do the same! Thank you 😃

I’ve been working my way through some details on the Series III. Light clusters –

Cleaned up the paint (drip rails were still white). Added wipers, although I have to redo the black part – they’re straight, without the kink I gave them.

The front is all done. Lights, brush gaurds, Camel Trophy sign, winch…

Eventually, after searching for weeks I found a 7mm high letter sticker set that was in a font vaguely like the Land Rover font!

And the… rear. The door needs a shovel. I ordered and recevied two. One’s too small, the other too large. Of course nobody provides the dimensions of their shovels…! Anyway the other thing missing here is the right indicator. I have no idea what I did with it, but more are on the way from Loops (link in case other Defender builders need stuffs from Loops, who are most excellent vendors, I have met them and can verify they’re prime examples of very nice humans).

That’s it for now. Getting very close to the end. Still need to:

– Wire the lights
    – Install ESC, light controller, RX
    – Add shovel to rear door
    Touch up paint on the roof rack
    Make two jerrycan holders for the roof rack
    License plate for the rear (I’m going with period-correct plates from Kinshasa, Zaire)
    – Add in that missing indicator
    Add rear view mirros
    – Fix wipers

• Topics 6
    • Replies 368
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That looks pretty decent!! And I suspect rather strongly that I’m going to steal your idea and do the same! Thank you 😃

Go for it! you can get M2 threaded rod on ebay in steel or stainless steel. Just don’t buy in brass. It’s an elegant solution and it will outlast the axles 🙂

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The missing electronics all trickeled in this week so I guess it’s time to finish this.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.