Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1983 Camel Trophy – Land Rover Series III

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 386
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

me or fourthprotocol? let me be more clear:

Good choice of tires….about the “being ellegible” part, I was talking about the truck being close to 1:8 when the rules state that it should be between 1:9 and 1:10…

that’s all,not playing both sides and definitively not Italian 🙂

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

good choice. Are you sure that it will be ellegible, being slightly bigger than the rules allow?

Yeah… I noticed that too and am ignoring it because if I bring it up I’ll be even more of a pedant than I already am. Besides the way the last event happened was if you had a Camel Trophy truck you just lined up with everybody else. Zero inspection is done before start other than the obvious (a TRX4 with a Camel Trophy sticker will be rather sternly frowned upon).

Got the hood done at last. I think that’s the difficultestest part of the body done. Looks a bit messy here because there’s still round 3 filler on there, and some of the primer was sanded away.

Oh and the wheels/tyres. At 85mm diameter the PitBull TEMCOs are perfect. The tread pattern also looks believable, even if it wasn’t the one used in Zaire. The biggest win are the super narrow 1.9 Landies I got from Loops.

Those wheels and tyres look perfect but they were a right :rage: to assemble :blackeye: Have two more on the way because dummy that I am I forgot about the spares.

Final mention is that this is not going to be the hero build I intended when I began. It’s probably only going to be used at Camel Trophy events (maybe two or three a year?) and so I’m not going to bother with engine bay, opening and closing hood and doors and so on. It’s going to look the bomb from the outside for sure though.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Started on the upper deck today. Rear part –

And then the working sliding windows –

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Making space for headlights in the fenders.

I messed up with this. I should’ve built the light recessed/stamped steel look into the fenders at the beginning. Getting that look down after the fact is harder. C’est la vie and all that.

Next the extra wheels and tyres arrived. Those Landy 5-nut wheels from Loops are perfect for the Pitbull Temco tyres but they’re a pain to assemble.

Unladen they’re 25mm wide, which is only 2mm wider than those in the blueprints. I hope they don’t bloat out too much under weight.

The Temcos weren’t used in Zaire – they had Mud Terrain Trophys. They’re even available from Boom Racing although too tall for this truck. I could also have narrowed a Tamiya tyre. They’re the same size as the Temcos and their tread pattern is closer to the Trophys. Not sure they’d do well on the trail though.

The Temcos will have to do :hmmm:

Also made the door handles.

Final assembly and paint are going to be a delicate coordination between steps (masking, paint, glue…). Here’s one of the assemblies (without the handle) in a door. And that, folks, it pretty much it for now.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Did the lights, put mesh behind the grill, and made a bumper. Don’t mind the filler. And don’t mind the bolts on the inner fender holding the bumper in place – these will be hidden by the jerrycans.

This was mostly a procrastinationary diversion because to get the windows and windshield in I need to do the dash and seats which I’m not looking forward to doing because seats always end up taking forever and a day and I think it’s funner to keep typing than to get started with those ghastly, horrible seats…

And made those crazy bush/brush guards. Need to get the winch in there and then do the Jerrycans.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The Series IIIs in Zaire carried 4 jerrycans each – two in front of the grill, and two on the roofrack. I’ve looked around for how they mounted them at the front. All I managed to come up with was a Jerrycan bracket kit from Land Rover. The kit worked for 4 and 6 cylinder engines but not the V8 because the grill was further forward to accomodate the engine. The kit looked like this –

However!! The Series IIIs in Zaire each had a winch, and so that Land Rover winch bracket kit wasn’t going to work. I suspect their solution was a custom job because I can’t find any details about it on the intertoobs. And I was left to work it out from the few photos that are available of those Series IIIs (see last two photos on the first post in this thread).

I suspect the entire front bit (brush guards, jerrycan mounts and possibly the winch mount) was a custom job produced only for Zaire. Bloody KNEW I was building a special little snowflake!!

I’ve yet to neaten it all up and make the baskets/holders and brackets, but the arrangement will look like this:

The only moteworthy thing about the jerrycans themselves is that every jerrycan I found online is 1:10 scale or smaller. 1:10 is a full cm shorter than 1:8. And so I had to make four of my own. Which is ok – I made opening lids. The real brain twister is whether to mount the cans lid facing forwards or backwards. I have photos of both.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made the dash. It’s exaggerated which has two purposes – first, it matches the drivers. Second, very few will even see it as none of the doors will open or close. All it needs to do is to be believable when seen through the windows in photographs.

Lousy weather outside. Still managing to prime and paint but it’s hard going. Either out the front or out the back of the house, depending on where the wind’s blowing from. Anyway, making slow progress even though nothing concrete was completed since making the dash.

Started on the front side windows this morning. It’s slow going if you want them to slide like the 1:1. Just finding out HOW they slide requires detection skills beyond what even Holmes had. I’ve got it now though.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Bit of a breakthrough today. I’ve wanted to use Wild Willies in right-hand drive builds before, but couldn’t because that right arm that changes gears is in the way. Solved it on the Series III by having the little guy wave with the right while he steers with the left!

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got the front side windows done. Took waaaaaaaaaaaay longer than I thought they would. Four layers of styrene but they both open/close like the 1:1.

Next up, I think, is the windshield.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So windows are in, interior is there, front only needs detailing, as does the rear. That leaves the roof –

Looks a little saggy because of the unsupported weight. That should be gone in the next post.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Roofs are boring, and this one has the tropical roof as well so I get double the boring.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made yet more progress on the never-ending roof. Made some brackets(?) on which the tropical roof will rest. Normally there’d only be the three runners from front to back but I added a few more supports so that the roof doesn’t sag or warp over time – you’ll never see the roof like this again anyway.

Then the actual tropical roof. It’s a mission because the edges curve just slightly downwards.

And this is where I’m at. The front part needs to be completed. The actual roof (the one beneath the tropical roof) got it’s last round of primer and has been sanded back. Ready for paint.

Got the rear door done too – like the roof it’s held in with magnets – the door will provide easy access to the battery. I still need to make it shut flush against the body.

You can also get an idea of the down-sloping edges of the tropical roof in that photo. Oh and also also you can see the 1mm gap between roof and side panels here – that space is for the drip rail which will also hold the roofrack mounts.

I’m looking forward to completing the body work and getting onto the details… ::2thumbs

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Roof construction is done!

There’s some paint to touch up where the masking tape I used got a little ahead of itself.

I tried bending/curving some 1mm lexan to fit into the roof windows, but all I managed was to burn myself. I found this at the supermarket though. The label peels off.

That leaves drip rails and the roof rack itself.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Roofrack is also there, mostly. Still needs some paint touch-ups.

Body construction is done now, so it’s on to the details. Last night was riveting.

Fourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1393
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Riverting is done.

Remaining work is on the rear, and from the windshield forward – wipers, mirrors, door hinges, hood and vent hinges… Getting closer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.