Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1983 Camel Trophy – Land Rover Series III

• This topic has 15 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks, 1 day ago by ScaleAddict.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Fourth ProtocolFourth Protocol
    • Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The JS Scale Experience was in September. Only the second event I’ve been to this year, and it was just as good as USTE. Although the Papua New Guinea Camel Trophy trail was The. Best. Trail. ofmylifeevar. I cannot overstate the awesomeness of that trail.

I suck at photos. Happily someone else made a decent video on YouTube (I’m in there too, at 4:51, toppling Jerome’s Defender over). Obviously I now need a Camel Trophy truck too.
    Mine will be a 88″ Series III from the Zaire Trophy in 1983.

I’ve been researching, so brace yourself.

Weirdly, even though the 3.5-litre Rover V8 petrol engine was an option since 1971 the Trophy Land Rovers used the standard 2.25l diesels. They had the “hot climate pack” which is 8-bladed fans, twin fan belts, an oil cooler and cooling fan shrouds. They were delivered with roof-racks, winches, bridging ladders, steering guards, jerry-can mounts and additional lighting. Mine will have these options, and no more. I want the CoG as low as possible – RC Camel Trophy Land Rovers are notoriously top-heavy.

Going to try replicate, like, all of it. From the chassis up. Axles will be printed NCYota152’s from BowHouse RC with the Yota 152 Axles Hardware Kit from GCM Racing. That pegs width at exactly 200mm (5mm wider than the axles with wheels on), and so scale at 8.38:1.

I still have the Haynes Owners Workshop Manual for the Series II, IIA & III from when I had a Series II. Also James Taylor’s Series III Specification Guide, and Volker Zander’s “One Life Live It” 20 Years’ Camel Trophy book. Hoping this will help me achieve at least a semblance of authenticity.

The only deviation from teh facts I’m considering is the team. Possibly South African, even though South Africa didn’t participate in ’83.

Last, I’m going to take my time with this one for a change. The deadline is next year’s JS Scale Experience –

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Spent two evenings on one frame rail –

Cutting aluminium with a Dremel and hack saw is hard going. There’s a hacker space about 4km from my house but I have no idea how to use those tools and lack the patience to learn, so I guess I shouldn’t complain so much… Anyways it should look like this at the end:

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So. Mounting the axles on leafs as we typically do, won’t do. Chassis needs to be a good 2cm lower.

CMAX doesn’t improve things much, but it shows me where the leaves and dampers should connect to the frame rails.

Second test – I made a set of rails that can accommodate the suspension I have, and not sacrifice a full interior –

I can lower it by a whole 2cm if I do the leafs under the axles but that requires a custom front axle housing. David of BowhouseRC fame (go check out their steering geometry fix for the Element IFS retrofit!!) may have a solution for me. If that doesn’t work out I may try Boom Racing’s narrow phat axles, which allow leafs to be mounted from beneath.

Those wheels are Totyota wheels but I’m going to pretend they’re Land Rover wheels because front left wheel outside to right wheel outside is 185mm. The body is 195mm wide which is just about the right amount of tuck.

So what I have now is at least enough to start on the coachwork.

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Started with the styrene:

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Front fenders are there, as is the bulkhead.

Not sure if you’re aware of the buildoff between two rival builders in Germany – one (Ralf Pachman and his boys, see https://www.p69scalemanufaktur.com/galerie/) built an insanely detailed Series III on a custom chassis. Ralf put me onto retaining springs (often used in starter motors) as a source of metal for custom leafs. You can see the 7mm wide one I bought in the last picture above. Haven’t buried the idea of a completely accurate chassis just yet…

• Topics 1
    • Replies 4
    • Looking For Mud

Superb start! Cant wait to see progress….

Sysop
    • Topics 120
    • Replies 1569
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Fantastic work as always, it’s going to be a real treat seeing this come together so thank you for sharing it here.  I guess leaf under axle has got to be the way to go.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

markmark
    • Topics 45
    • Replies 1541
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is fantastic. Always preferred the early Land Rovers. I was in awe of the event they did. If we’re not being so restricted next year with travel I may build a Range Rover or d110 for this.

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Superb start! Cant wait to see progress….

Me too. Spent the last two weeks replacing my 17-year-old PC and almost there with that so back to the workbench 👍

Fantastic work as always, it’s going to be a real treat seeing this come together so thank you for sharing it here. I guess leaf under axle has got to be the way to go.

Yeah leaf under axle seems to be the thing. No sign of the front axle from the US so going to see if I can mod the 3D printed NCYota152 axle that the TSA broke when I flew back from the US. Let’s hope… It would be nice if Mark made it over, but EPIC if YOU made it over 😎

This is fantastic. Always preferred the early Land Rovers. I was in awe of the event they did. If we’re not being so restricted next year with travel I may build a Range Rover or d110 for this.

Do it! How about a Freelander. If you can find one… 🤨 Mark it would be nice if Charlie came over, but EPIC if YOU made it over 😎

Anyways here’s the rools for the JS Scale Experience 2021 Camel Trophy Mundo Maya 2021:

– Participants consist of three-vehicle teams.
    – The event consists of a mix of team challenges and convoy driving.
    – Participating vehicles must be scale replicas of vehicles or support vehicles that participated in a real Camel Trophy event.
    – Vehicle scale must be no more than 1:9 and no less than 1:10.
    – Vehicle body must be a hard body made, manufactured or 3D printed in materials like ABS or styrene. Lexan/polycarbonate bodies are not allowed.
    – Vehicles must be painted in LR361 Sand Glow. LR361 Sand Glow is available from JS Scale or Zero Paint. Vehicles painted in Tamiya TS34 are not allowed.
    – Country flags on the fenders and rear of vehicles are recommended but not mandatory. Flags can be of participants of the JS Scale Experience; or of actual teams that participated in a real Camel Trophy event.
    – Roof racks are mandatory, and must be realistic replicas of the original. They must include four headlights (and possibly two side-facing lights, depending on your vehicle’s year)
    – Roof racks must contain two functioning sand ladders, and the appropriate number of Jerrycans for your vehicle.
    – Bush bars are mandatory, and must be identical to, or close to the real one, according to the 1:1’s model and year of participation.
    – A functioning winch, functional recovery points, and recovery straps are strongly recommended.
    – Wheels must be 1.9 in size, and must be identical to the wheels on the 1:1 vehicle your scale vehicle is based on. Tyre diameter may not exceed 97mm, although RC4WD mud pluggers will be accepted.
    – Wheels and tyres must fit completely beneath the fender.
    – Whilst a realistic chassis is recommended, you’re free to choose your own.
    – One driver and one co-driver figure are mandatory.
    – Lights (on both body and roof rack) are mandatory.
    – Water-proofing all electronics is strongly recommended.
    – A functioning spare wheel is mandatory.
    – Several batteries that allow you to drive the whole day are strongly recommended.

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Started on the BBQ grill…

And this is how far I got.

• Topics 5
    • Replies 337
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

following!

that rule list is pretty detailed…

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

following! that rule list is pretty detailed…

Awesome, thanks. Yes the rules are pretty exacting. They’re big on authenticity. My Series III is 1:8 scale so hoping they close an eye for me…

Anyways got a bit more done this evening.

• Topics 66
    • Replies 1364
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Decided on tyres – Pit Bull tractor style on 1.9 Landies.

• Topics 5
    • Replies 337
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

good choice. Are you sure that it will be ellegible, being slightly bigger than the rules allow?

markmark
    • Topics 45
    • Replies 1541
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You should be Italian playing both sides. His rules are pretty stringent. I’m curious about the paint as Sandglow is Sandglow. NDT’s are super cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.