Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1963 (maybe) Chevy K10 Stepside (kinda)

This topic contains 31 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Pete Attryde 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Crawler Pro

First off I need to thank/blame Jonny191 for this build coming to life as he pointed me in the direction of a website called Scale 3D RC.

The site sells files for 3D printing scale bodies that are based on real life trucks but are not exact (or indeed named the same) to avoid licence issues. For the cost I am really impressed with the quality of the models and a lot of work has gone into making them easily printable.

As you can tell from the title I have gone for the Chevy C10 stepside look alike (called the C63 Stepside on the site) I believe that it is based on a 1965ish C10 like thismaxresdefault

The aim will be to go for a fairly stock looking restored truck, so small tires and leafsprung, and will probably end up on an SCX 10 ii kit chassis.

So far I have the bonnet printed, sanded and first coat of colour applied.

20180701_162138

The bonnet took around 40hrs to print due to the settings I am using but this reduces the amount of time I have to spend filling and sanding the parts.

The next section is currently printing with 3 more big sections and the grill/lights to follow. Exploded-Front-Perspective

I think I can adapt the Coyote interior to fit this with out to much trouble, however I am not looking forward to making the windscreen due to the curves involved.

Thanks for looking,

More as I get it done.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Hitting The Trail

Great start…..Your welcome and sorry 😉

I saw a body on this site that I’m interested in (as I’ve acquired a leaf sprung team raffe chassis) and will have a chat with you at the weekend and maybe we could come to an agreement and I’ve also sorted you that aluminium Toyota cab and wings if your still interested?

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

Oh yes, I love those trucks.  I shall be glued to this thread.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Crawler Pro

Cool truck! The one you’re printing is a 1963 – the ’65 has the flat front window as per your ref pic at the top. Would have been a lot easier to do the windscreen for the ’65!

Lovely colour for it too.

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

mark
    mark
    • Crawler Pro

Curved glass is just packaging. Cool choice of truck, very envious of some of the 3D printing abilities out there.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Crawler Pro

Great start…..Your welcome and sorry 😉 I saw a body on this site that I’m interested in (as I’ve acquired a leaf sprung team raffe chassis) and will have a chat with you at the weekend and maybe we could come to an agreement and I’ve also sorted you that aluminium Toyota cab and wings if your still interested?

I am actually very glad you pointed me in the direction of the site as can see several bodies on there that I would like to build up. More than happy to print something for you, and yes I would still like the toyota bits for a ‘Clampy’ tribute build.

Oh yes, I love those trucks. I shall be glued to this thread.

Cheers Charlie, gotta love a 1960’s pickup 🙂

Cool truck! The one you’re printing is a 1963 – the ’65 has the flat front window as per your ref pic at the top. Would have been a lot easier to do the windscreen for the ’65! Lovely colour for it too.

Thanks Gav, hadn’t spotted the windscreen on the 1965, and now I have googled the 1963 version I agree, also makes the name of the model make more sense too.

for reference here is a 1963 C10 Stepside.

62691040-770-0@2X

Curved glass is just packaging. Cool choice of truck, very envious of some of the 3D printing abilities out there.

I did think about keeping an eye out for a suitable piece of packaging to cut up, may also give make a buck out of wood ago and then heating a sheet of clear styrene up and forming it. Need to print the cab next so I have the actual windscreen frame to measure up. I actually have a 3D printed body for you, will bring it along to the Nationals later this year, although that might be a bit late for summer camp 😉

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Hitting The Trail

Cheers Pete your a star, it’s the old 1940’s Ford I’m interested in called the H140 and I’ll bring those bits on Saturday.

mark
    mark
    • Crawler Pro

I did think about keeping an eye out for a suitable piece of packaging to cut up, may also give make a buck out of wood ago and then heating a sheet of clear styrene up and forming it. Need to print the cab next so I have the actual windscreen frame to measure up. I actually have a 3D printed body for you, will bring it along to the Nationals later this year, although that might be a bit late for summer camp 😉

Thanks, i’ll start looking out for suitable parts for it.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Crawler Pro

Been making slow progress with this, mostly due to the time it is taking to print the sections.

Go the front clip printed and sanded and then had to modify the bonnet as it was to narrow by 4mm, I need to look into the cause for this as I don’t fully understand why at the moment. So the bonnet cut cut down the middle widend using some styrene, this was then sanded, filled, sanded some more and is also back in primer.

20180711_191851

After a couple of false starts with printing the cab section, due to me orientating it wrong, I am finally 4ish days into the print and it looks like this

20180711_192608

So hopefully this should have completed by this time tomorrow and I can then begin printing the bed sections. These should print a bit quicker as I have now tweaked the printer settings to improve the speed without effecting print quality.

Thanks as usually for looking,

More soon

mark
    mark
    • Crawler Pro

That’s a lot of material. Do you have to grind it all off or is it the printer adding a structure.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Crawler Pro

That’s a lot of material. Do you have to grind it all off or is it the printer adding a structure.

The software/printer adds the structure to support overhangs, etc. Fortunately it generally just breaks off fairly cleanly with a small amount of effort leaving a surface like this 20180711_205901[1]

I always try and make sure it is on the underside of a part. Generally speaking the support structure is waste material as it is hard to re-use although I do make ABS slurry out of some of it to glue parts together/ fill holes. I believe there are ways of turning it back into printer filament but I haven’t explored this yet. The amount of support structure can also be changed, which can save material and speed up printing items, but for this I was cautious and used a slightly denser support structure than was probably strictly needed.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Crawler Pro

That’s a lot of material. Do you have to grind it all off or is it the printer adding a structure.[/quote

I was literally going to ask the same thing – that’s a lot of waste compared to the actual body, and all the extra time needed to print the waste too.. Wow, didn’t realise it was such a long process! A kind of plastic alchemy.

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

This looks superb, so smooth.  I sense another Attryde masterpiece is in the making.

T6rqdsxgehwzjupxnx27a3rwiwdif09tx

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Crawler Pro

This looks superb, so smooth. I sense another Attryde masterpiece is in the making.

Thanks, The camera may be flattening the finish a little but I have yet to give it a final sand before the top coat goes on. The main body of the cab finally finished printing so I removed the support material and then glued it to the front clip, I used some ABS slurry to fill the minor cabs between the sections and to help bond the parts together.

20180713_153352

20180713_154257

The first expensive box for this build arrived today courtesy of Martin @ RCBitz I now have axles, gone for  RC4WD K44’s

20180713_204713

this enabled me to mock up the front end. I have to say I am very very happy with the look. Just need the chassis to arrive from canada so I can finalise the ride height, but this is where I am aiming for.

20180713_204726

20180713_204737

The wheels and probably the tires are also going to stay too.

More soon.

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Hitting The Trail

This is turning out real nice….bodies look better than I thought they’d be

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.