Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds 1960 Toyota FJ28VA Hardtop

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Fourth ProtocolFourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made the fuel tank and battery compartment.

Trying something different with the drip rail. Cutting away 1mm from the body to make space. Not adding them to the roof as you might expect because I’m hoping they add a little stength to the sides. The body is sturdy, the windows on the sides not so much.

That’s it from me for a week. Taking my snowboard to Ischgl in the morning 😍

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Back from the mountains and back on the FJ. Started on the seating – frame and cushions.

Test fit.

Flips back to get to the battery box.

Passenger bench.

Drivers’ seat with cushions.

Stinky Pete having a go.

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Phenomenal work on this. I really like it. It’s fantastic…Am I giving enough compliments to join the queue of people wanting this?

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Phenomenal work on this. I really like it. It’s fantastic…Am I giving enough compliments to join the queue of people wanting this?

Thanks you’re doing great but I need moar!

Got both frames finnished.

And did the upholstery.

Both seats tilt – driver side for access to the battery, bench side for the fuel tank. I have many reference photos for the seats. The tilt thing is in all of them but they differ wildly. Restored FJ2x’s I found also vary and I presume lots of it is custom. I have no idea how accurate this is, but it exists in reference photos.

Only really went to the effort so that I could detail the tank when I’m good & ready, and to make painting easier.

Seats are done. Might maybe if there’s time and I’m bored redo the bench. That ripped upholstery is a bit rubbish and not quite like I imagined but doing it gave me ideas.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Err…. yep OK.  I’m just going to move the seats into the Forum’s Finest and then you know, if the rest of the truck is half as good 😯

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Err…. yep OK. I’m just going to move the seats into the Forum’s Finest and then you know, if the rest of the truck is half as good 😯

Ha ha funny. I would love to know why the seats get so much attention. In comparison with the rest of the build they were tedious but not hard.

That said, I’m grateful they’re done and pleased you like ’em 👍 And I started the dash. About 4 layers to mimmic the 1:1.

The 1:1 is marked to a rather optimistic 180km/h. I don’t Illustrator so I had to Visio and the smallest font there meant I could only fit an 80km/h top end in there. Probably more realistic than the 1:1 anyway 🤓

Anyway after that I started an experiment on the glove box.

It appears to have worked out.

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Not much excitement in this update. Mostly fixing stuff where I didn’t pay attention :shhh: Like the side windows, which are too short (vertically). Here’s how I first had it.

How much I nneded to cut it back by.

And the result. Looks a little over-compensated because the window rubbers are still missing.

You’ll have spotted it in the last picture – the drip rail. Started with this:

Install like so:

Add the strip that keeps the water from the windows.

Finally, cleaned up the inside. Mostly filling and covering gaps in the A- and B-pillars. The gaps in the doors can only be closed after paint because they lock the windows in.

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Still fantastic, full of amazing touches. That removable roof has sorted me right out for what should’ve been the Hero build for last years G6.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Mmmm, this removeable roof idea could catch on.  I’m thinking now I should have done this on my 4dr Range Rover as the doors are so hard to open.  Epic as usual.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks, both. I only did it to get the roof done but still have at the interior. Definitely useful.

Did those vents beneath the dash which I’ve been dreading. They took 4 days. Started simply enough…

Chaos ensued.

Result.

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Every time I’ve gone to comment on this, its reached new levels of praise required! Now I’m stuck for words so I’ll just have to stick with outbloodystanding..and two of these !!. I still think its one of the most ugly vehicles Toyota have ever made though.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Every time I’ve gone to comment on this, its reached new levels of praise required! Now I’m stuck for words so I’ll just have to stick with outbloodystanding..and two of these !!. I still think its one of the most ugly vehicles Toyota have ever made though.

Thanks and aye it’s a right swamp donkey, isn’t it!? Chose it because I love the colours and I get to try some weathering. And (or so I thought) it’s an easy build.

Forgot to include the photo of the lever in the cab that operates the vent. Obviously the other side has the same.

Petrol tank is done.

Interior is taking shape…

And a back door.

This build turned out a little more complex than first planned, and so to progress the build I need to paint stuff before I can glue other stuff in. Like the petrol tank – can’t paint that when it’s glued down. Same for e.g. windows. The rubbers must be painted before the window frames are glued down.

This is all well and good but the down side is that I can’t send it to JS Scale to paint as I had intended. And so I have to settle for my second-rate paint skillz.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Those vents, and the fuel filler with the pipe going to the tank, makes me want to fill her up and jump in.

I love the colours they used to use on these, the green is gorgeous.  You can dull and fade it by gently rubbing it with a Scotchbrite pad, that’s what I do anyway.  Agrax Earthshade or a similar wash is great for low level muck and weathering and for enhancing detail.  I apply it with a brush and then dab it back with kitchen roll.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Those vents, and the fuel filler with the pipe going to the tank, makes me want to fill her up and jump in.

I love the colours they used to use on these, the green is gorgeous. You can dull and fade it by gently rubbing it with a Scotchbrite pad, that’s what I do anyway. Agrax Earthshade or a similar wash is great for low level muck and weathering and for enhancing detail. I apply it with a brush and then dab it back with kitchen roll.

Thanks and yes the green is awesome. Would’ve preferred something closer to turquoise but Tamiya don’t do any. And with less than 3 weeks to USTE I’m not in the mood to start a colour hunt.

Thanks also for the weathering tips. Used a Scotchbrite pad as directed and happy with that outcome. Painted the doors in layers because the 1:1 inspiration has more body putty on it than Vanessa Felz. Started with gray primer, matt white for the door cut-outs which I masked after the white, then Haze Gray, followed by German Gray and finally Pearl Green.

Sanded ot the green to make the gray bits, and touched up with some white and gray and a little brown from the Tamiya Weathering kits I’ve had for ages and never used.

Can’t quite decide whether I like it or not.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s worked really well, they look excellent.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.