Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1960 Toyota FJ28VA Hardtop

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 2 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You probably know him – Rob Mathews is the man behind the Ultimate Scale Truck Expo in Florida. Which is in the USA. He asked if I’d talk about scratch-building at USTE 2020 in February. I said yes even though I have no truck for it so felt like Ms. Protocol when she has nothing to wear. And so decided on building a 20-series FJ that’s so pretty I’m convinced it’s actually a Datsun. Timing is good because the SBG has a new buildoff which effectively kills two stones with one bird.

Here’s what I’m hoping to recreate:

USTE is on the 21st of Feb I think. Flying on the 18th though so need to have finnished by the 17th.

Big problem number one is that I can’t find a leaf-sprung chassis with an upright steering servo centered over the front axle. And so I made me one:

Version 2:

Third time’s not a charm but getting there…

This one with driveline brings us up to date.

The idea was to pototype the thing in styrene and then model the thing in Fusion 360 (learning as I go) but this thing is plenty strong. So may stick with styrene only.

Anyway the body. Rough shape –

Only just finnished the cowl which was a beach…

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow, wow, wow!  Superb as always, love the source vehicle and love the work you’ve already done.  As if to prove there’s nothing you can’t make with styrene, we now have a styrene chassis!  Are the rails just thick styrene or did you build up with layers, if the former what thickness did you go for?

I love this old Japanese design aesthetic, it really appeals to me and somehow seems better today than it ever did.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow, wow, wow! Superb as always, love the source vehicle and love the work you’ve already done. As if to prove there’s nothing you can’t make with styrene, we now have a styrene chassis! Are the rails just thick styrene or did you build up with layers, if the former what thickness did you go for?

I love this old Japanese design aesthetic, it really appeals to me and somehow seems better today than it ever did.

Thank you. The chassis is made of styrene just over 3mm thick. I think about 3¼. It’s glossy on one side. I got it from Sir Jon Whittle for the landing craft. This is leftovers from the keel.

And yes about the aesthetic (love that word)! That decade – early/mid 60’s to early/mid 70’s -ish is my favourite period for cars. It gave us the 3.0 CSL BMW, the first (and beautifullest) 2000 GT-R and 911, the Toyota J20 series, Lancia Delta, the ’64 Pontiac GTO… What a time! Oh, had to edit because I forgot to mention the unbelievable symmetry that is the Datsun 620 from the front!!!

Cars today look ridiculous in comparison.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You’re clearly a sucker for double headlights! Something else I visualise when I look at all those cars, sharks! Or maybe that’s just me.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You’re clearly a sucker for double headlights! Something else I visualise when I look at all those cars, sharks! Or maybe that’s just me.

Yes. And yes, shark nose makes perfect sense!

Back to the FJ. Got the upper half of the firewall in, and added the relief on the sides.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

On paper the FJ is an easy build – essentially it’s just a composition of boxes. Boxes are easy in styrene. There are two parts on the FJ that are hard though – the cowl, where windshield meets bonnet, and the bonnet itself.

Turns out the cowl wasn’t that difficult. The bonnet though… 🤬

At the start I thought I’d just vacuum-form the bonnet. Have had a lexan Tamiya body lying here since spring just for that purpose. But when I really started looking at the FJ28VA I realized that it wasn’t the same bonnet back then. And that there were different shapes within the 20 series range.

Look at these two – the FJ21KB and the FJ24.

Both from 1958, as far as I can tell. And that’s really the crux of it. The intertoobs lack a lot of information when you want to get specefic. And so I scratch-buit the bonnet for my FJ28VA instead of vacuum-forming the thing.

Of course the 1:1 FJ I’m basing this on has yet another difference – the nose of the bonnet (looking at it from the side, the part from thet top ot the grill to where the hood starts to flatten out) is angled and flat. Those drawings above show it curved. And mine’s not finnished yet either. Center section needs another layer to raise it by 1mm, and the edges of that piece need cleaning up.

I need to find a new hobby 😶🤣

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Who knew there were so many bonnet variations!? The shaping you have around the bottom of the windscreen is fantastic.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Who knew there were so many bonnet variations!? The shaping you have around the bottom of the windscreen is fantastic.

Thanks. That bit scared me but turned out to be easier than expected. The bad news is that I have to redo the hood. Good news is the doors are nice, and work.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cracking build Mike.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cracking build Mike.

Easy now. Lets see if I can actually finish one 🤣 Thank you though 🤜🤛 (that’s a fist bump, in case you’re still emojily challenged)!

Re-did the hood. Looks a litte better now but I’m not happy with it yet.

The doors are done now, and open and close. Although they need some magnets or something to keep them closed.

Started playing around with some door panel ideas, but shelved that for until the roof is done.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I bought a new phone so I’m not emojily challenged and more 🙄 I think out of all the trucks you’ve started only the Bronco concept got finished. I hold no hopes for you in the build off  getting it done 😁

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I bought a new phone so I’m not emojily challenged and more 🙄 I think out of all the trucks you’ve started only the Bronco concept got finished. I hold no hopes for you in the build off getting it done 😁

Hey wash your mouth out with soap! There’s the U300, the Comanche, JL-based Jeepster Concept, the F15a CMP, the Series 1, Oshkosh, blockaderunner JK, River Raider JK, Pinzgauer, Defender… 🤗😇

Anyways, the FJ. Been working on the roof. That took 4 days 🤕 And not done yet, but I think the hard part’s over. Started with a lattice.

Front is curved along a lip so needed more resolution.

Next up, corners. They have magnets in them to hold the roof down.

And this is where it’s at. That rouge piece of styrene covers a mess I made this afternoon and will be filed into shape when the glue is dry.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The way you build parts with frames amazes me. What do you use to remove the inner part?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

What he said, how do you trim that out?  You’re absolutely killing this Mike, so much want.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The way you build parts with frames amazes me. What do you use to remove the inner part?

What he said, how do you trim that out? You’re absolutely killing this Mike, so much want.

Thanks, both of you. I trim down the inside with a smallish drum sander on a Dremmel. It’s (and I hate this word since it started being… overused) literally hours of careful sanding, followed by at least another hour with an xacto knife cleaning it up. It’s soul destroying but you can see why I do it anyway.

/Edit forgot to mention that the last step is sanding the trimmed-back lattice with an old Minicraft orbital sander. I use it because is has a smallish and rectangular sanding suface, which is ideal for this.

On the upside all that lets me do fun stuff like this –

And from inside (underneath):

The FJ28VA doesn’t actually have this in its roof. I saw this on an FJ25 and decided that the ’28 should have had it and not having it was obviously an oversight durr!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.