Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1948 Land Rover Series 1

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

Looking good. Have you any trail pics?

Thanks and no not yet. Working on the first of two trailers. Started by making a pile of parts.

And then assembled the parts into this.

Lots to do still but it’ll be done (with photos & video) in 14 days (the build-off deadline is 31st October).

ScaleAddict
        • Scale Off Road Pro
        • ★★★★★★

Damm! You never stop? 🙂 looking very nice

Fourth Protocol
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

Damm! You never stop? ? looking very nice

Sorry ? And thanks ? Was actually worried about just how realistic I could make it, but ironed out the last of the mechanics this evening.

The 25 pounder has a circular firing platform attached to the gun, and when lowered the gun is pulled onto it. This platform transfers most of the recoil forces to the ground, instead of using the spade at the end of the trail. Makes the gun very stable when firing. It also provides a smooth flat surface for the carriage to rotate on using the road wheels. Which enables gunners to traverse the carriage quickly in any direction.

I wanted to replicate that. At first glance it seemed straight-forward, but my tires are bigger than stock so I had to come up with a different geometry to pull the wheels up onto the platform.

Got it done though. First pic is with the platform raised as it would be for transport.

Next the gun is raised and pulled back so that the wheels come to rest squarely on the firing platform. Like so:

Finally, the gun is traversed around to the other direction, but the firing platform hasn’t moved.

It’s a great sytem and together with the variety of shells it could fire and rate of fire (~3 a minute) is what made it so popular and arguably the single most effective piece of field artillery in the 2nd world war.

Fourth Protocol
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

Got the limber carrier done today. A limber (if like me you didn’t know) is a two-wheeled cart designed to support the trail of an artillery piece. It’s a long-winded way of saying it carries the ammo. Here are the beginnings of mine:

And the result (not done, but mostly done). Doors open and close, but still need to put shelves in for 32 ammunitionses.

And what tractor, limber and firing platform look like:

Cannon is pretty much done, bar paint. Will do a video to show how the firing platform works.

It’s 2:48am. Need. My. Bed.

ScaleAddict
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

You could do a gun that looked alike and called it a day but no, almost fully functional, just needs to fire 🙂

Are those CA10 tires?

Good work!

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Fourth Protocol
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

You could do a gun that looked alike and called it a day but no, almost fully functional, just needs to fire ? Are those CA10 tires? Good work!

Ha ha thanks and I actually have a plan to make it fire (using/modding a Playmobil pirate cannon). That may happen next month – have to focus on getting it done for the end of the month dealine for the build off.

The on both trailers are tyres are 1.9 RC4WD DUKW on 1.9 Gmade VR01 wheels.

Details of the Boom Racing wheels and tyres on the Land Rover are in post 103789.

Lots of non-RC stuff’s had to be done so little time on the build. Did finish the limber carrier though. It now has sliding bolts like the 1:1, and the front has the little cargo area, also like the 1:1.

Stopping construction now and starting paint tomorrow. Running low on time, and the weather’s turned from awesome for October to rather bothersome for photos and video.

Sysop
                Retrocosm
                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                  • ★★★★★★

So very, very good sir.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Fourth Protocol
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

So very, very good sir.

Thank you. I was in a rush, so it’s sloppy. Novelty is what’s making this look good – nobody, as far as I can tell, has done a cannon as a trail on a crawler. Let alone one with a limber carrier.

In other news I got the interchangeable vehicle markings done at last.

Added Hydra because that’s where NOM bought their vehicles. And NOM are on a budget so used is the new cool. Interchangeable because NOM are aligned with NOM and not any country so they can pick whatever markings they need to get the job done.

Fourth Protocol
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

Got the 25 pounder and limber carrier painted.

All set for (I hope) tomorrow’s photo shoot. Southern Europe had some bad snow in places, and it rained old women with clubs here today. Should be back to 14°C and partly sunny tomorrow so here’s hoping.

Big wheels are back on. I just… like them better on there. Truth be told it needs 60mm shocks with springs on the hard side which I haven’t found yet. They’ll lower the body and make smaller tires look better.

Fourth Protocol
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Was out filming this morning. Had to rake a lot leaves ?

Had a go with the gimbal so I’ll see later how that came out. Forgot the GoPro attachments though, so had to call it a day. Then this happened on the way home ?

The wheel nut I was using was worn out, which is why I was using it – it could be tightened and loosened by hand. Great when you’re building. Not so great when you’re trekking along 4km of forest road.

Hope to get the video wound up by this weekend.

Sysop
                        Retrocosm
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★

Ah yes leaves, the bane of the scale videographer 😉  However this build is so good looking I don’t think it matters, I look forward to seeing it in motion.

Fourth Protocol
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

Ah yes leaves, the bane of the scale videographer However this build is so good looking I don’t think it matters, I look forward to seeing it in motion.

Thank you. Motion obtained. Just not sure how to embed it here.

Also got some photos.

Sysop
                            Retrocosm
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

That looks absolutely superb, beautifully shot. I edited your post so that the video displays, no code needed simply paste the full URL of the video into your post.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.