Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1948 Land Rover Series 1

This topic contains 57 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Mr P, read this last night and stunned at the build!

Growing up had mates who were farmers and always and old landy knocking about, series 2’s and 3’s which we’d ‘learned’ to drive in up the fields!

Great work and thanks for sharing! Fantastic and a pleasure to see the scratch builds…… delightful!

Limit of my scratch build is a sandwich 😀 😀 😀

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Mr P, read this last night and stunned at the build! Growing up had mates who were farmers and always and old landy knocking about, series 2’s and 3’s which we’d ‘learned’ to drive in up the fields! Great work and thanks for sharing! Fantastic and a pleasure to see the scratch builds…… delightful! Limit of my scratch build is a sandwich 😀 😀 😀

Thanks mate 👍Somewhat envious of that – I leant to drive in a ’83 (fourth gen) Mazda 323 (1.5 L E5)🙄

Progress. We have a windscreen wiper.

Also got the dials dialled, shifters are in – gears, center differential lock, and high-/low range selector. And the wiper motor is done.

Still needs the steering wheel and oh sh*t bar.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Brilliant, it looks so good, superb details.  Which wheels are those?

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Brilliant, it looks so good, superb details. Which wheels are those?

Thank you sir! Both wheels and tyres are from https://www.boomracingrc.com. Wheel details:

• 1.9 Narrow 21mm Badass Classic 16-Hole Steelie & CNC Aluminum Beadlock Wheels w/ Center Hubs (Front) Gun Metal
    • 1.9 Narrow 21mm Badass Classic 16-Hole Steelie & CNC Aluminum Beadlock Wheels w/ Center Hubs (Rear) Gun Metal

The tyres are 1.9 Mud Terrain Trophy BR-T29A Tire Gekko Compound 3.6×0.94 Inch (93x24mm) (2).

They’re super-awesome narrow, and the wheels are a big deal because they’re stamped steel on the outside, and a CNC-machined beadlock & hub on the inside.

The detail’s not done yet though. The oh sh*t bar is in, as is the steering wheel. The steering wheel’s removable, but the NOM Commander comes in and out quite comfortably with the steering wheel in place.

Another with the NOM Commander.

And a pair from outside. Took some doing but that steering wheel is at the same height as the 1:1. I think.

The only mandatory things missing now are the back lights. Anything after that is a bonus.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Took a few misses before I worked out how to make the rear lights. Made a 1mm thick base, and then carved the light bucket out of 3mm styrene, and after painting closed it off with lexan which rest on 1x1x2mm structs within the light bucket.

The result (if you squeeze both eyes shut and squint out your ear) is a scaled-down pair of Lucas ST51 rear lights as found on ’48 Series 1 Land Rovers. But without license plate light. They look a lot softer IRL. When the build is finished I’ll do photos with a better camera.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made a spare rather than order new wheels, and narrowed a CC-01 tire to fit.

It’s not great but it’s convincing enough when it’s in the back of the truck.

Also did an exhaust.

This is blatantly inaccurate as I wanted something to fill the gap beneath the passenger seat (the right has the petrol tank there).

For my exhaust to be accurate it would need to come down the left as it does already, but then go over the rear axle, and from there across and out the right hand side.

Going to be back in San Diego for a few days, so there’ll be radio silence until next week.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Did some tidying up. Shortened the motor leads; shortened the links to center the wheels; blacked out the MST logo on the chassis; made a wire hood open-holder thingy; and a rear view mirror.

Wasn’t exactly blown away by my canvas roof. And having had a weeks’ break I realized that the top of the windscreen is too thick, and same for the tops of the doors. So I chopped all three down to size.

Better. Also remembered Old Malakka (the antichrist from The Gods Must Be Crazy) and how that was the first series 1 I fell in love with. And so a topper.

Already looks better than the canvas roof.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve run out of superlatives, suffice to say, I’ve seen worse 😉

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve run out of superlatives, suffice to say, I’ve seen worse 😉

Ha ha stop it already 🤣 Thank you 👍

Here’s the inside of the toppper.

And a few of it on the truck. Still needs filler and smoothing out.

Also put some sills into the doors because seeing sunlight between the doors and the roof is even more annoying than looking through a wheel well without inner fenders.

ScaleAddict
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

So nice…

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So nice…

Thank you sir!

Made window rubbers today, which takes ages. Still need to work out hinges for the door. Probably going to use what I used on the doors.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The hard top is still not done – it started raining this afternoon so didn’t progress much with the painting. But I did take it for a test run.

Goes ok. Except when going downhill – the back left lifts up. I think it’s the weight of the NOM Commander worsened/exacerbated/aggravated/intensified/made worse with suspension that’s softer than my hair after washing with Head’n’Shoulders ©®™

The drag brake is on 100% which later caused a forward 180 coming down that ramp. No damage, although all the pieces scattered.

The hard top is heavy, but seemingly not enough to make a difference to the airborne wheel.

Happens on flat ground too, when turning left. Worse when backing up and turning left.

Happily going up’s no problem.

Also had a backwards 180 going back up without the top on (hit the gas too hard), and the NOM Commander seemed to take the brunt – no damage to the truck.

Going to finish off the hard top tomorrow and put some spacers into the shocks to see if I can harden it up some. Should also look into slightly shorter shocks I think.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That figure must be very heavy, or the shocks are very soft, or more likely a bt of both, assuming nothing is binding.  It would seem some stiffer springs are in order although I seem to remember swapping out the shocks on my CMX for Tamiya ones from a CC-01.

Looks superb coming down that ramp with the lid on, it’s going to look even better in the wild.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That figure must be very heavy, or the shocks are very soft, or more likely a bt of both, assuming nothing is binding. It would seem some stiffer springs are in order although I seem to remember swapping out the shocks on my CMX for Tamiya ones from a CC-01. Looks superb coming down that ramp with the lid on, it’s going to look even better in the wild.

Thanks. And thanks. Haven’t tried Tamiya shocks so will try that. For now I added spacers into the shocks to stiffen them up. Could do with a little more but things have improved. The driver is hefty, but I wouldn’t say heavy. More testing required.

Will also improve little bits here and there (like the box in the back) but this build is mostly finished. Just got back from a constitutional in the forest and it goes well.

ScaleAddict
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Looking good. Have you any trail pics?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.