Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1948 Land Rover Series 1

This topic contains 57 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

ScaleAddict
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

looking good. A question, why mud pluggers over those narrow Boom racing tires?

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looking good. A question, why mud pluggers over those narrow Boom racing tires?

Obrigado. And good question. Didn’t give it much thought at the time. Mud Pluggers seemed the logical and first choice because a. you see them on a lot of expedition-type 1:1s and b. they were lying around not being used. The narrow Boom Racing tyres are on the Ford F5, and for now are staying there because I think they suit it well.

Thinking about it now I’m hoping the Mud Pluggers will do well in mud. Which the Boom Racing ones almost certianly wont (haven’t run either set yet).

In the meantime I got a bit further this evening. Bonnet is now attached and opens. Seats are in (upholstery will be glued in after paint).

Fixed the bonnet. It’s accurate now.

Made little bump stops for the windshield, which now has scale bolts and is also ready for paint.

Lastly, a full-size spare wheel is in the back.

ScaleAddict
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Don’t get me wrong. They look good on a LR. About the performance,I have clones of those on the Unimog. The compound might be different but the thread is the same. Don’t really trail much in the mud but in the rare occasions they got plugged with it(hence the name?:) ), being worse not having wheelspeed to clean them afterwards.

By the way, love that bonnet

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Don’t get me wrong. They look good on a LR. About the performance,I have clones of those on the Unimog. The compound might be different but the thread is the same. Don’t really trail much in the mud but in the rare occasions they got plugged with it(hence the name?:) ), being worse not having wheelspeed to clean them afterwards. By the way, love that bonnet

Thanks, and noted. I’ll take along some other tyres as backup if these don’t perform as expected! And the bonnet – this is the only photo I have of that under construction. Quality, super high-tech engineering right there 😎

Got the dash done today (no photos yet), and the upper parts of the doors. I do have some photos of that under construction –

I don’t know who invented coat hangers, or when, but what the blagnog man! How’d they know what diameter wire I would need for those windshields?!? Mind. Blown.

Anyway I started paint, so most of it’s drying at the minute which is why no more photos.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Painted the base layer on Friday night, and was at the Eifel Scale Challenge yesterday where I got some photos.

Door tops off and windshield down.

Stole Fox Mulder from the Comanche because I forgot to bring the NOM Commander. It’s on to the details now…

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks so good and I still can’t get used to seeing your freshly sprayed, part finished trucks out on the trail.  I’m so paranoid about mine at this stage that I hardly dare touch them in case I break or scratch them.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks so good and I still can’t get used to seeing your freshly sprayed, part finished trucks out on the trail.  I’m so paranoid about mine at this stage that I hardly dare touch them in case I break or scratch them.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks so good and I still can’t get used to seeing your freshly sprayed, part finished trucks out on the trail. I’m so paranoid about mine at this stage that I hardly dare touch them in case I break or scratch them.

Thanks, first. And technically it wasn’t “on the trail” because it still doesn’t have an ESC or receiver. Chelsea tractor style poser shots only 😎 That said, I like to drive them. Don’t get much opportunity. Scratches are inevitable. And that’s ok because I can always build another 😃

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Moved the ESC into the pertrol tank, accessible via the battery tray beneath the seats.

And started with the aloominum details.

Rivets are a pain. Pre-drill with 0.8mm bit, and then hammer the 1mm rivet in.

Finally, the hood.

Working out what to do there is tough. I want all the things (windshield bump stops, spare wheel carrier) but I also want it to be period correct. Here are two 1:1 examples –

First pic is a series 2, second of an 86′ Series 1, but they illustrate the point. Wikipedia for example, has a picture of the first pre-production Series 1, which has the spare wheel thing, but I have no idea what the first production one came with. However, given that the pre-50’s 80′ models had the spare behind the front seat I’m going to assume no hood mount.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wanted to get the lights working, so I had to wire the thing up. There’s not much space in there for ESC, RX and light controller but as already shown the ESC fits into the fuel tank. I was going to hide the RX in a rear fender but because I don’t have any diodes lying about I used a light controller which is big. And so I just made a wooden box for the bed and stuck them in there.

Light buckets are super simple, but being hidden away in there I don’t need anything fancy.

Want to get a softer/warmer glow than that, but it’ll do for now.

The truck also runs now that it’s all wired up. Still need to clean up some wires and replace the light controller with diodes to save space, but that was a big step forward.

Last, modded the steering for extra throw. Ground off the bump stops on the front of the axle, and moved the front lower links further inside so the tires don’t rub. Works really well.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s looking so good and an interesting mod on the MST axle, I might have to dig mine out and have a look at doing the same.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s looking so good and an interesting mod on the MST axle, I might have to dig mine out and have a look at doing the same.

Thank you sir and, REALLY easy mod!

Got the bumper and tailgate done. Tailgate needs a little more detail.

And the roof. Cloth is so not my bag 😣

Onto the details now. Dash is in, need s little more paint. Driver needs a harness or something to keep him seated, and he needs a steering wheel to steer. The truck stiff needs back lights, and I have yet to tidy away the wiring. Also have ideas of playing with different types of payload – plain, expedition, military…

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is probably one of my most favouritist builds ever. I would love to own it! It still astounds me that you just started with some flat sheets of plastic and turned them into this. Amazing…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is probably one of my most favouritist builds ever. I would love to own it! It still astounds me that you just started with some flat sheets of plastic and turned them into this. Amazing…

Thank you! Wasn’t until this morning that I started semi-liking it. Wanted more of a Resident Evil feel to suit the NOM Commander driver, but seem to have had trouble moving away from stock. Keep thinking I should sell off some trucks but can’t get myself to part with them. Even the yucky ones 🤨

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made the restraint for the NOM Commander. He needs to be removed to access the battery tray beneath the seats. Looks like this:

Also tried and after two fails came up with a steering wheel. Yes, the 1:1 has 4 spokes per spoke, plus some additional detail. I’m sooo tired.

Last but not least, I (beats me how) mounted the body too far forward. I think by ~2.5mm. Going to adjust the link length to fix it (and no, not using these tires).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.