Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds 1948 Land Rover Series 1

This topic contains 57 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Entered a military buildoff on SBG with an Opel Blitz, but after finding out I need to go to San Diego in September I’m not going to get that done in time. So I’m doing something a little less ambitious instead – a super-easy 1948 Land Rover Series 1. This one will be ex-British army, and in the employ of the evil forces of NOM.

I’ve actually never liked Land Rovers. They’re top heavy, both the series 2 and 3 were (are) about as reliable as a cheesecloth condom. With the exception of the lucky few that had the BMW M52 engine, ALL of them leak oil. Their worstest shortcoming is that their axles have no lockers (centre diff doesn’t count). Their best feature ever is the rear-window demister. They keep your hands warm whilst pushing. To a garage.

And before someone calls me out yes, I used to own this ’59 88′ Series II.

However. The series one is the bomb. It’s (to me) one of the most perfectly-proportioned off-roaders ever. And it’s time I built me one.

They’re tiny, and so I need something small to put under it. The obvious choice is an MST CFX with the 242mm wheelbase (1:9 scale). The CFX is 200mm wide with tyres so a width of 172mm would have made the tyres stick too far out, so I went with 252mm, which pegs scale at 1:8.6, and body width at 180mm.

The CFX build is mostly stock – I added ball bearings everywhere, and used steel ball connectors instead of those horrible plastic ones from the kit. The wheels are Vintage Cruisers from RC4WD. Getting the 1.9 Mud Pluggers onto them was a right pain. Servo is a Savöx SW-0231MG, motor is a Tamiya CR Tuned 35T (with a 16T pinion), and the speed controller an Axial AE5. I have yet to run it.

Started with the front.

And then I tried out some drivers.

Good thing Willy is 1:10, because it kindof has to be the NOM Commander.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Progress on the Series 1 on day 2. Floor is in, and the transmission tunnel is marked out.

Also managed a start on the bed.

Not much space in this truck so need to start giving some thought to electronics, and where they’ll live.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I hate it when people sit on the fence, tell us what you really think about Land Rovers 😉  I’m really looking forward to seeing this come together but would like to see it on leaf springs, is that a possibility?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I hate it when people sit on the fence, tell us what you really think about Land Rovers 😉 I’m really looking forward to seeing this come together but would like to see it on leaf springs, is that a possibility?

Ha ha if anything wasn’t clear enough, do let me know 😃

Everything is possible. This on leafs is however highly improbable. It was actually going to be a replica of a streched (in the front) Series 1 with a coil conversion and Cummins conversion. I then saw another with half of the paint job I wanted, and from all that and time pressure a mostly stock-looking Series 1 on coils was born.

That said, I’d like very much to try a stock Series 1 someday, going as far as replicating the chassis.

PS. Having owned a Land Rover I can tell you that there are upsides. Pages 4 and 5 of the owners manual, for example, had train and bus timetables.

JCP
    • Looking For Mud

Having owned no less than four Discoveries, I must be some kind of a fan 😀 Two of them was bought as diy kits and all four of them were the best car I ever had 🙂

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

PS. Having owned a Land Rover I can tell you that there are upsides. Pages 4 and 5 of the owners manual, for example, had train and bus timetables.

Lol, it’s the way you tell ’em.

Of course once the body is done, the chassis can always come later.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Lol, it’s the way you tell ’em. Of course once the body is done, the chassis can always come later.

Indeed. And, indeed 😃

Was out clothes shopping with Ms. Protocol (😇) so not much further this morning. Got the seat base in, and the NOM Commander fits in ace. Unfortunately I realized that my blueprints are wrong!!

The prints claim to be of an 80′ Series 1. And they are – except the side view, which is of an 86′ Series 1. And so my door line was vertical, and the bed started too soon (distance between beginning of bed and beginning of wheel arch should be much shorter), so my cab is too short.

Oh well.

Repaired the seat (which now doubles as battery tray), and relocated and angled the start of the bed. Compensated for the remaining too-longness by bobbing the bed by 12mm. It’s not exactly like the 80′ but it’s as close as I can get it without redoing everything rear of the firewall.

Cut out the inside (in the engine compartment) of the fenders, although it’s not entirely accurate either (I’m using the space to accomodate the NOM Commander’s rather large feet).

Transmission tunnel is not quite there yet. Hoping to get a little more time tonight.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The grill backing thingy is done, and the transmission tunnel is in.

Also closed off the back, and covered the shock towers.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Today was Door Hinge Monday. Took some nylon aileron hinges, trimmed them down and stuck them to the door frames.

I’ll attach the doors after paint. Used flatter, wider aileron hinges on the seat base/battery cover. Need to make sure that opens and closes before I put the seats in.

Wheels are off because I’m adding weights. Next big job is the bonnet.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That is great. I’d love a 1:1 coil sprung V8 series 1. Your styrene work always makes me envious and one day I must have a go at scratch building a body.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes much envy here also, apart from a few dodgy interiors and I really haven’t explored styrene enough.  I love how quickly and cleanly your styrene work comes together, it’s great to watch and I know I’m going to have serious lust for this body when you’ve completed it.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I love the use of aileron hinge’s – another product I was completely unaware of. Do you use CA or Goo to attach those? (or indeed, some other scale-secret..?)

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That is great. I’d love a 1:1 coil sprung V8 series 1. Your styrene work always makes me envious and one day I must have a go at scratch building a body.

Yes a 1:1 Series 1 coiler would be… just, …amazing!! Styrene is easier than metal work. And your metal work is amazeballz!!

Yes much envy here also, apart from a few dodgy interiors and I really haven’t explored styrene enough. I love how quickly and cleanly your styrene work comes together, it’s great to watch and I know I’m going to have serious lust for this body when you’ve completed it.

Oh come on already 😉 Both you and Neil are amongst the best builders on the planet. Try make a box and you’ll see there’s no need for training wheels 👍

I love the use of aileron hinge’s – another product I was completely unaware of. Do you use CA or Goo to attach those? (or indeed, some other scale-secret..?)

Thanks, and apart from that one with the handcuffs and rubber duck (what?!?) I don’t keep secrets. Tried Shoegoo once but we don’t get along. Best use I have for it is glueing magnets onto lexan.

I prefer (and used) E6000 for the aileron hinges, because it glues everything from styrene to fiberglass. Has a long drying time (mostly leave things overnight to dry) which sucks a bit, but the bond is strong. It’s also messy, but not quite as messy as Shoegoo.

Haven’t done any gluing today though – it’s wheel-weight-Wednesday 😋

They went together much quicker this time, but I think I nailed the technique. Need to loosely tighten the wheel nuts, pull the bead out from the beadlock part of the wheel, and then it kindof slips back in by itself. Weird. Like that time the aliens took me…

Anyway. Also got the doors done, apart from some detail on the inside, and receiver holes for the upper parts/window frames (yet to be built). They haven’t been glued in yet, and I’m considering not glueing them in at all, because removable doors are cool.

And here’s an overall view of the thing from about 5 minutes ago. Still needs a lot of cleaning up…

Left to do are hood and windscreen and, if there’s time, the top parts of the doors and tailgate. Then all that aluminium trim, and then paint. And if there’s time, lights.

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking Good, another Super build Mr P. ! 0 athup

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking Good, another Super build Mr P. ! 0 athup

Thank you good sir!! Little more progress this morning. We have a bonnet, and we have the makings of a windscreen.

Bonnet’s too tall though 🤨

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.