Scale RC Forum General News & Discussion General Scale and Crawling 1.9" Beadlock wheels and tyres

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JoeB
    JoeB
    • Looking For Mud

Hi there, apologies for asking a question that’s probably been asked a thousand time before. What tyres for off road crawling do people recommend, I’ve had a look to see what’s available but there’s so many i really haven’t a clue where to start, they would be fitted to a custom built trx sport.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hi Joe,

What sort of terrain do you forsee using the truck on the most?

Also what style of build is the TRX, is it a scale truck, needing smaller tires to look correct or more of a rock bouncer needing larger tires?

I have to be honest I tend to buy tires that look nice and not worry to much about how they perform,as with most of my builds I am aiming for as scale accurate as possible.

Stick a picture up of the TRX as it is now so people can see what the tires are going to be fitted too.

HTH

Pete.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

JoeB
    JoeB
    • Looking For Mud

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi Pete,</p>
    Terrain would be a bit of a mix really, the style of build is most definitely going to be scaled so I understand that performance is lower on the list than look. I’m currently still getting all the bits together to start the build, the sport kit only turned up today, the Jeep Comanche hard  body shell is on its way from the states, hobbywing 1080 esc also on its way, deep dish white weller wheels will be ordered tonight, not sure what motor and steering servo I’m getting yet. already have radio gear. I’ve got about six weeks to build and thoroughly test it as my friend and i are booked in to compete in Superscale event in Germany at the beginning of June.IMG_1193IMG_1192IMG_8058

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I am assuming that you are getting 1.9 diameter wheels and as such I would aim for a 1.9 tire around 110 to 120mm in diameter.

RC4WD do a good range, Martin @ RcBitz stocks most of them.
    I quite like the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

apifzv6sh__92764.1506430556

I have also had good results with the 1.9 pitbull rock beasts

I have also been very surprised by how well tires like the RC4WD 1.9 Scale military truck tire and the RC4wd  Mudpluggers work, and as they are a narrower tire I think they can look very scale too.

There is a huge selection of tires out there, as I am sure you have discovered, and just as many opinions as to what works and what doesn’t. Ultimately I would pick the tire you like the look of best and go with that.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

JoeB
    JoeB
    • Looking For Mud

Yes I’ll be using 1.9 and thank you for your valued answers to my question, perhaps I might post pictures of the build as it progresses.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Two great options from Pete there, the Wranglers are excellent tyres and they look superb as well, they’re currently my favourite.  Having said that, tyres from the likes of RC4WD, Pro-Line and Pitbull all seem to perform well in my experience.

There’s also a short forum guide to tyres here.

JoeB
    JoeB
    • Looking For Mud

Thanks for your input, I think I will go for a set of Goodyears as suggested by Pete and agreed by yourself,  Can I ask your views on mounting them on the steel deep dish weller wheels, I haven’t decided on colour of wheel  yet as I’ve not completely decided on colour scheme for the Jeep Comanche yet, I’ve always had a soft spot for weller wheels stemming back to the 70’s

This is by the way my first scale crawler build having just starting to cross over from many many years in the world if nitro, so electric stuff is a new thing for me, but engineering and fabrication skills is right up my street.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I believe the deep dish rims, if they’re the RC4WD ones, are a little wider than standard rims and may therefore distort Goodyears slightly from their intended shape but they should fit.  Having said that these look fine:-

ikmswxoex0q11

In terms of fitting them, some beadlocks can be a pain when trying to compress the rims over the beads and marry up the bolts.  The absolute easiest way I’ve found of doing them is to get some longer bolts than those supplied.  Use two of these in opposite holes to pull the rims together, then added the standard bolts and finally replace the longer ones you started with.

You might also want to take the opportunity to add some wheel weights, details here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.